The Official UFC & MMA thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 8:24 pm
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
A rabbit punch is a blow to the neck or to the base of the skull. It is considered especially dangerous because it can damage the cervical vertebrae and subsequently the spinal cord, which may lead to serious spinal cord injury or even death

obviously it's just to protect wrestlers
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2678 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
nineiron wrote: the banning of kicking/kneeing to a "grounded" opponent (i don't know how having 1 finger on the mat counts as being 'grounded', but whatever) and punching to the back of the head are rules that were put in place to give the wrestler an advantage.
How stupid do you have to be to believe this? Who is on the ground in a wrestler vs striker match? If knees to the head of a grounded opponent was legal, side control would be game over, easy finish for the wrestler. The wrestler could stand up out of guard, work his way around, and soccer kick or stomp the head. Every time Condit shrimped from half guard to full guard, GSP could have kneed the head.

Other rules do the same. 12 to 6 elbows help the guy on top a lot (see Jones-Hamill for how easy they are for the guy on top), because regular elbows can be deflected much easier. Headbutts would heavily favor the guy on top, as would a lack of ref standups and round breaks.

All the rules help the guy on the bottom.
nineiron wrote: it's funny how gsp fans cry about Anderson Silva being too big for gsp.. so that's why the fight shouldn't happen.
Name one GSP fan in this thread saying that. We all want to see it. It's Silva fans that don't want to see it, saying that Silva-Jones is the real superfight.

BTW, betting opened at GSP +150, Silva -185. That means the betting public - those who put their money where their mouth is - give GSP a ~38% chance of winning. That's higher than I expected, meaning you should bet your life savings on Silva since you think GSP only has a 1% chance of winning. If you're right, you'll make serious bank.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2678 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
nineiron wrote: and when has Sonnen been a big draw?
LOL you think you know more than Dana White about his own business?

Silva-Okami: 335k buys
Silva-Sonnen II: 1M buys
Silva-Bonnar: 410k buys

Notice anything?
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
Mintmaster wrote: BTW, betting opened at GSP +150, Silva -185. That means the betting public - those who put their money where their mouth is - give GSP a ~38% chance of winning. That's higher than I expected, meaning you should bet your life savings on Silva since you think GSP only has a 1% chance of winning. If you're right, you'll make serious bank.
Interesting numbers, back in August I wrote the following ........
VCR wrote: I like GSP chances at about forty percent if he wins impressively against Condit coming back from a serious injury and steps up in weight @ 185lbs to fight him by July 2013. If they meet at a catch weight, split the difference and make it 178 lbs. I like his chances even more. The longer it takes before we see a match, the greater chance GSP has imo.
I think it will end up being catchweight fight. If so, the weigh-ins (and how The Spider looks) should give some further insight into how the extra weight cut affects him or not.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2678 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
Yeah, I have a similar opinion to you, though I may bump it up to 45%. Still, I don't think that's different enough from the line to warrant a bet unless I feel like playing games and expect it to move. EDIT: damn, the odds already moved. Could have guaranteed myself a payback by betting on Silva at -185.

I'm really surprised. I thought GSP would be at least +200. Sure, BJ was +135 at UFC 94, but that was because they already had a close fight and the Serra loss wasn't too long ago. Silva is on a 16 fight win streak and was -1200 against Bonnar. How is he not -300 against GSP?

Do you really think the fight being at 170-175 lbs will make a difference? It seems to me that there are enough experts out there to help Silva cut 25-30 lbs. The famous Dolce diet helped Alves make 170 and then get back up to 198 lbs in 3 hours. Sonnen boasts about being 205+ when he steps in the octagon.
Temp. Banned
Feb 8, 2005
2335 posts
247 upvotes
Mintmaster wrote: nineiron thinks Rogers beat Fedor, because facial damage is all that matters:
[IMG]http://img.youtube.com/vi/oclXZtXxk7g/0.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_asset ... le-425.jpg[/IMG]

It's hilarious how obsessed you are with how a fighter's face looks. You shouldn't be watching MMA. You should be watching Miss Universe :lol:
hey idiot. Fedor FINISHED. you know, something that your hero, gsp, can't seem to do.
Temp. Banned
Feb 8, 2005
2335 posts
247 upvotes
Mintmaster wrote: LOL you think you know more than Dana White about his own business?

Silva-Okami: 335k buys
Silva-Sonnen II: 1M buys
Silva-Bonnar: 410k buys

Notice anything?
gsp vs Shields - ufc 129 - also included Randy Couture vs Machida AND Aldo vs Hominick (title fight)
gsp vs Hardy - ufc 111 - also included Mir vs Carwin (title fight)
gsp vs Alves - ufc 100 - also included Brock vs Mir (title fight) AND Hendo vs Bisping

notice anything?
Nov 14, 2010
48 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
nineiron wrote: gsp vs Shields - ufc 129 - also included Randy Couture vs Machida AND Aldo vs Hominick (title fight)
gsp vs Hardy - ufc 111 - also included Mir vs Carwin (title fight)
gsp vs Alves - ufc 100 - also included Brock vs Mir (title fight) AND Hendo vs Bisping

notice anything?
*yawn*

I ripped apart this argument already. I thought you learned your lesson. :D
Temp. Banned
Feb 8, 2005
2335 posts
247 upvotes
bartman316 wrote: *yawn*

I ripped apart this argument already. I thought you learned your lesson. :D
please..

the FACT is that gsp had other title fights on 3 of his cards. Anderson Silva only had 1 card, where he was the main event, that included another title fight.

if gsp is "the biggest draw", as dana white says.. then why do they put other title fights on his card?

learn to form you own opinions based on the facts instead of listening to a bald former boxercise instructor who once said "women will NEVER fight in the ufc".

another thing.. the only other notable gsp card (other than the ones i listed) is when gsp fought Penn. and, at the time, Penn was, arguably, as big a draw as gsp was.
Nov 14, 2010
48 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Two title fights doesn't = Buyrates. UFC 136.

anything else?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2678 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
nineiron wrote: hey idiot. Fedor FINISHED. you know, something that your hero, gsp, can't seem to do.
Oh, so Rogers was separated from consciousness despite his face being far less bruised than Fedor's? So you admit that how two DIFFERENT faces look has NOTHING to do how much damage they took?

Then why do you keep posting GSP's face like a 12 year old school girl? Wait, you already explained it when you blamed GSP for that CBS sportswriter's comments instead of the sportswriter. When he said 'homoerotic', it struck some truth with you, didn't it. Okay, go back to looking at GSP's face and finish up. Your little friend is getting lonely.

After that, you can return to watching male beauty pageants again.
Temp. Banned
Feb 8, 2005
2335 posts
247 upvotes
bartman316 wrote: Two title fights doesn't = Buyrates. UFC 136.

anything else?
that's not the point. YOU keep harping about how gsp is the #1 draw. why does the #1 draw need other title fights on the card?

and you do realize that ppv is a north american concept right?

most other places in the world don't have to pay to watch the ufc events. gsp has an obvious advantage in the ppv #'s, since he's from north america.
Temp. Banned
Feb 8, 2005
2335 posts
247 upvotes
Mintmaster wrote: Oh, so Rogers was separated from consciousness despite his face being far less bruised than Fedor's? So you admit that how two DIFFERENT faces look has NOTHING to do how much damage they took?

Then why do you keep posting GSP's face like a 12 year old school girl? Wait, you already explained it when you blamed GSP for that CBS sportswriter's comments instead of the sportswriter. When he said 'homoerotic', it struck some truth with you, didn't it. Okay, go back to looking at GSP's face and finish up. Your little friend is getting lonely.

After that, you can return to watching male beauty pageants again.
why do you keep riding gsp's nuts like a 12 year old school girl?

how different faces look has nothing to do with who won WHEN THE FIGHT IS FINISHED. get it?

if it goes to decision, then it's an indication of how much damage was done.
Nov 14, 2010
48 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
nineiron wrote: that's not the point. YOU keep harping about how gsp is the #1 draw. why does the #1 draw need other title fights on the card?

and you do realize that ppv is a north american concept right?

most other places in the world don't have to pay to watch the ufc events. gsp has an obvious advantage in the ppv #'s, since he's from north america.
That is the point. Buyrates are an indication of how big of a draw you are. GSP PPVs pull in the biggest numbers.

Having a second title fight is completely irrelevant to how big a draw you are. I guess you forgot that the original Co-main event for UFC 148 WAS Cruz/Faber for Batamweight title. With the second title fight or not, 148 was going to do big numbers. I already stated in the past that 100 and 129 were going to have stacked cards regardless, just because of how monumental they were. UFC 111 Interim title fight, really? Now you're just grasping at straws.

UFC 124 pulled in 800,000 buys with Struve/McCorkle as a co-main. But no, wait... that's because of The Ultimate Fighter right? :lol:
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2678 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
nineiron wrote: learn to form you own opinions based on the facts instead of listening to a bald former boxercise instructor who once said "women will NEVER fight in the ufc".
OMG really? You still think that you know more about the UFC's business than its president? Do you also know more about Microsoft than Bill Gates because he's a former college dropout?
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9545 posts
960 upvotes
nineiron wrote: why do you keep riding gsp's nuts like a 12 year old school girl?

how different faces look has nothing to do with who won WHEN THE FIGHT IS FINISHED. get it?

if it goes to decision, then it's an indication of how much damage was done.
Well some people just bruise easily and some people don't...I don't know if you can handicap someone based on their genetics

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

ElChico