Sports & Recreation

The Official UFC & MMA thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 8:24 pm
Jan 4, 2006
503 posts
3 upvotes
North of Toronto
So what did you guys think of the event as a whole? I was pretty disappointed personally. Even the better fights weren't what I would consider fantastic fights.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
i thought it wasnt a bad card overall
the only boring fight i thought was the Maia fight

i still dont understand why they have to pack 2 title fights into 1 PPV, and then have PPV's without title fights

gwu wrote: Thiago is 2-1 over team AKA.

So you have in the Welterweight division:

#1: GSP vs #2(up for debate)Hardy
#3: Fitch vs. #4 Alves
#5: Daley vs. #6 Koscheck
#7: Thiago Silva vs. #8 ________
u mean Paolo Thiago?? not silva
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
the highlights of the card were Rogan commenting on the spilled ice and Coleman's "f*** you tito"

other than that it was pretty bad imo. One of the worst UFC cards I've seen recently

with that said 110 is going to pwn face
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1028 upvotes
Toronto
calcuu wrote: I lol at Tito Ortiz talking smack to Coleman with Coleman replying "**** you Tito"
as much as i dont like Tito, hes smart
hes obviously setting up his next fight in case he loses to Chuck
by some fluke if he beats Chuck, we will never hear from Coleman again
Viper98 wrote: are you F-ing kidding me?

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17859/dana-wh ... icture.mma

Dana says Randy is back int he title picture :|

He needs to get off Randy's nuts

first giving him sub of the night for a RNC and now saying he's in contention again :|
i agree with you, but from a business standpoint I can understand it

im glad they changed the submission of the night to Thiago, he deserved it, and the bonus

as far as Couture's performance, he did look good, but on the other hand Coleman looked absolutely awful
i still dont understand how fighters dont capitalize on a counter right against Couture, he drops his head to the left everytime he throws his right
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2678 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
gwu wrote: So you have in the Welterweight division:

#1: GSP vs #2(up for debate)Hardy
#3: Fitch vs. #4 Alves
#5: Daley vs. #6 Koscheck
#7: Thiago Silva vs. #8
Just because you're the #1 contender doesn't mean you're the #2 WW. Also, Paulo Thiago ;) should probably be ranked above Koscheck now that he's 13-1 and taken out both Kos and Swick. Daley still hasn't fought a wrestler, so he's not worthy of a high ranking either. So I would have it like this:

#1: GSP vs #4Hardy
#2: Fitch vs. #3 Alves
#5: Paulo Thiago vs. ???
#7: Daley vs. #6 Koscheck

Man, can you believe that we were going to see the winner of Swick-Kampmann face GSP if it weren't for injuries? :lol:
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1511 posts
31 upvotes
Mintmaster wrote: Just because you're the #1 contender doesn't mean you're the #2 WW. Also, Paulo Thiago ;) should probably be ranked above Koscheck now that he's 13-1 and taken out both Kos and Swick. Daley still hasn't fought a wrestler, so he's not worthy of a high ranking either. So I would have it like this:

#1: GSP vs #4Hardy
#2: Fitch vs. #3 Alves
#5: Paulo Thiago vs. ???
#7: Daley vs. #6 Koscheck

Man, can you believe that we were going to see the winner of Swick-Kampmann face GSP if it weren't for injuries? :lol:

my fault on the Thiago mixups (was probably too late last night!) :)

and I did put (up for debate) after the #2 Hardy, because i knew it would come up as a point.

Same sort of thing with LHW:
#1 Machida vs. #2Shogun
#3: Rashad vs. #4(up for debate)Rampage
#5: Forrest vs. #6 Rogerio ?

Who would Randy fight? Thiago Silva? who else is even relevant? :S
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1028 upvotes
Toronto
gwu wrote: my fault on the Thiago mixups (was probably too late last night!) :)

and I did put (up for debate) after the #2 Hardy, because i knew it would come up as a point.

Same sort of thing with LHW:
#1 Machida vs. #2Shogun
#3: Rashad vs. #4(up for debate)Rampage
#5: Forrest vs. #6 Rogerio ?

Who would Randy fight?
if Jones beats Vera you can add him to the mix

Couture would probably end up fighting a mid range fighter, and then get a title shot ( i dont see the UFC putting up against a true contender as they are obviously pushing for him to fight for a title again)
my guess would be that he would fight the winner of Tito/Chuck
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2008
2005 posts
103 upvotes
GTA
Randy deserves nothing for beating Vera and Coleman, big deal you beat a guy who keeps on losing and another washed up mid 40's fighter.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
Yankees 1903 wrote: Randy deserves nothing for beating Vera and Coleman, big deal you beat a guy who keeps on losing and another washed up mid 40's fighter.
he didn't beat Vera

Vera won that fight
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1028 upvotes
Toronto
Viper98 wrote: he didn't beat Vera

Vera won that fight
i agree, but the judges gave it to randy and like it or not thats what matters
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5602 posts
3999 upvotes
GTA

Damn he is really milking randy for all he's worth, i'd love to see him get beaten to a bloody pulp by machida/shogun. Can you imagine how that fedor/couture fight would of went if it ever happened, i'd imagine around 5 seconds tops before fedor knocks him out.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1028 upvotes
Toronto
shabby wrote: Damn he is really milking randy for all he's worth, i'd love to see him get beaten to a bloody pulp by machida/shogun. Can you imagine how that fedor/couture fight would of went if it ever happened, i'd imagine around 5 seconds tops before fedor knocks him out.
to Randy's credit, comments like that are made before almost every one of his fights
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10963 posts
791 upvotes
Scarborough
hitman_24 wrote: to Randy's credit, comments like that are made before almost every one of his fights
everytime people say that and he goes out there and executes his game plan. He even gave Lesnar issues and only lost to a grazing shot which tend to put people down.

Couture is at the end of his career very soon. People will pay to watch Couture. Might as well milk him for the all the money you can get with his last hurrah being a title shot. He's already lost to Lesnar, let him compete for the LHW belt. If he loses that, he might call it a career.

He's old but surprisingly he's still better than a lot of fighters. He utilizes his skills and executes pratically the same game plan for the last 5-6 fights and yet everyone struggles to beat him.

Vera should have had Randy beat easily but Randy won the fight. Vera landed some shots in the 2nd round I believe but that was it. He played right into Randy's game and Randy took it from there.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2422 posts
794 upvotes
It was obvious that Randy would win.

People who are new to MMA don't fully realize how, um, PUMPED up Coleman was in Japan.

He was at least 50lbs (muscle) bigger than now and often had lots of rage.

Nice win by Serra. He's a great guy in person.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3682 posts
19 upvotes

He needs to get off Randy's nuts

first giving him sub of the night for a RNC and now saying he's in contention again :|
Randy did not get Sub of the Night. Thiago did. Apprantly someone on the broadcast jumped the gun and annouced that. At the press conference, Thiago was announced for Sub of the Night.

EDIT: That was already mentioned. My bad.

I agree, Randy beats Coleman and Vera and is a title contender? Prehaps if he beats one more top level guy.. than sure. But right now? come on...
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3682 posts
19 upvotes
calcuu wrote: Edit: Actually having second thoughts on that. Sonnen just looked awesome today with top ground n pound game. Some may say a bit of a boring match but Sonnen gets it done.
I honestly think that Sonnen would beat Belfort. We have seen many times what happens when a good wrestler is able to get Belfort on his back and punish with GnP many times. Thats why I thought Lindland would beat Belfort, but Lindland got caught on the feet. So who knows, but I think Chael has no interest in standing for a minute with Belfort and goes right for that TD. That being said, that makes the assumption Belfort beats Anderson Silva which I do not think is going to happen.

Silva/Sonnen I want to see, so Sonnen gets fed what he deserves for talking so much stupid crap... lol.
tdu wrote: So what did you guys think of the event as a whole? I was pretty disappointed personally. Even the better fights weren't what I would consider fantastic fights.
Disappointed. Gracie, was a joke... the main event was a joke.
IMO, the UFC should be embarassed for the event they made people pay for.

They hype Coleman up, he loses and they say he probably is done in the UFC now. From possible contender to out of the UFC in one fight? I know the hype tools they use but come on.... (though, before Coleman signed with the UFC.. Dana was talking mad trash about Coleman saying he is old and competely washed up and did not want him in the UFC).

The Strikeforce card the week before was far superior....
Viper98 wrote: the highlights of the card were Rogan commenting on the spilled ice and Coleman's "f*** you tito"

other than that it was pretty bad imo. One of the worst UFC cards I've seen recently

with that said 110 is going to pwn face
+1
Apr 11, 2008
108 posts
1 upvote
phomp wrote: ....
The Strikeforce card the week before was far superior....

i beg to disagree this one. I was a bit disappointed on UFC's card w/o knowing what Dana would say afterwards, but I wasn't happy w/ the Strikeforce Card either. That Nagy/Walker fight alone ruined that card, especially w/ the commentators hyping Walker like a top 10 caliber fighter. I'd say both were ok, but could've been better. Maybe the SF card was a bit better, but not far superior.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1028 upvotes
Toronto
strikeforce puts on a show once every few months or so
and it was barely better than one of the worst ufc shows to date

i scrutanize strikeforce shows a little bit tougher because they only put on a few shows a year, therefore they should all be spectacular
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
Everyone who knows MMA knew in advance that Mark Coleman would lose. I mean Mark Coleman isnt even elite in any sense. Dude has fought just about nobodies and when he did fight elite MMA fighters such as CroCop and Fedor, dude lost multiple times. Yes I know he did "well" in Pride for a certain time but he isn't elite if he can't beat the crocop/fedor's of MMA.

And these UFC homers (Rogan and his partner) were hyping this crappy main event so much. Ughh..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)