The Official UFC & MMA thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 8:24 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
SteveDfsin wrote: Weird to see that considering he's on a three fight win streak. I imagine he thought he was worth more than they were willing to give. Bellator will scoop him up quickly.
From what I know, he was getting a pretty high payout compared to others ranked similar/better fighters. I know UFC was planning on grooming him to be the next big thing and after 4 years I suspect he hasn't been able to gain the necessary skills at this time.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Aug 22, 2010
241 posts
113 upvotes
Sage was a can crusher but would get crushed by any top 15 guys.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27158 posts
37133 upvotes
icexman83 wrote: Sage was a can crusher but would get crushed by any top 15 guys.
Pretty face without the high-level skill, his personality may take him far in Bellator.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7804 upvotes
Toronto
Was anyone else at 231 last night? I'm so glad I decided to go last minute. I wasn't hyped for much other than the main event but there's something special about Toronto where every card here turns out greater than expected and I knew I would regret missing it.

I took this pic of the crowd shortly before the co-main event. Full res here if anyone wants to use it as a wallpaper or whatever
cTnrdzN.jpg
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
273 posts
36 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: Was anyone else at 231 last night? I'm so glad I decided to go last minute. I wasn't hyped for much other than the main event but there's something special about Toronto where every card here turns out greater than expected and I knew I would regret missing it.

I took this pic of the crowd shortly before the co-main event. Full res here if anyone wants to use it as a wallpaper or whatever

cTnrdzN.jpg
That's awesome man, hope you enjoyed. I didn't go. But I still do remember going to the first ever UFC event in Canada, when it was at the Skydome in Toronto back in 2011 or 2012 or something like that. It had GSP vs Shields, Aldo vs Hominek and Machida vs Couture. What an epic card that was, and the crowd was unreal. It was a surreal experience. 55,000 people, fully packed and sold out. We even made a human earthquake with our feet!

Did anyone else catch Max Holloway's dominant performance against Ortega? Wow, what a great fighter. I completely underestimated him and actually chose Ortega for the win, but I forgot how good Holloway really is. He beat José Aldo twice, after all.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5960 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
EnlightenedMind wrote: That's awesome man, hope you enjoyed. I didn't go. But I still do remember going to the first ever UFC event in Canada, when it was at the Skydome in Toronto back in 2011 or 2012 or something like that. It had GSP vs Shields, Aldo vs Hominek and Machida vs Couture. What an epic card that was, and the crowd was unreal. It was a surreal experience. 55,000 people, fully packed and sold out. We even made a human earthquake with our feet!

Did anyone else catch Max Holloway's dominant performance against Ortega? Wow, what a great fighter. I completely underestimated him and actually chose Ortega for the win, but I forgot how good Holloway really is. He beat José Aldo twice, after all.
I was there for the first one too when the feet earthquake was happening during the Aldo fight.

Tickets were insanely expensive for this event, but both the first fight and especially the main event may have made this worth the price of admission.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7804 upvotes
Toronto
EnlightenedMind wrote: That's awesome man, hope you enjoyed. I didn't go. But I still do remember going to the first ever UFC event in Canada, when it was at the Skydome in Toronto back in 2011 or 2012 or something like that. It had GSP vs Shields, Aldo vs Hominek and Machida vs Couture. What an epic card that was, and the crowd was unreal. It was a surreal experience. 55,000 people, fully packed and sold out. We even made a human earthquake with our feet!

glover78 wrote: I was there for the first one too when the feet earthquake was happening during the Aldo fight.

Tickets were insanely expensive for this event, but both the first fight and especially the main event may have made this worth the price of admission.
129 was the first live UFC event I ever went to as well. Rory Vs Nate happened that night too which I think people forgot about because they weren't the stars they are now.
The only Toronto card I've missed was Jones vs Belfort, but I was there for Jones Vs Machida and Jones Vs Gus 1 which was insane and another FOTY candidate that happened here. There has been so many amazing fights and finishes on Toronto cards. That said my favorite fight and the craziest crowd I've experienced here was Choi Vs Swanson

Found a pic I took from my seat at 129. Speaking of expensive seats, I was this far back and it was still close to $200 iirc. Spent most of the night looking at the screens above our section but it was totally worth being there as you guys are well aware
fB8FudQl.jpg
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
273 posts
36 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: 129 was the first live UFC event I ever went to as well. Rory Vs Nate happened that night too which I think people forgot about because they weren't the stars they are now.
The only Toronto card I've missed was Jones vs Belfort, but I was there for Jones Vs Machida and Jones Vs Gus 1 which was insane and another FOTY candidate that happened here. There has been so many amazing fights and finishes on Toronto cards. That said my favorite fight and the craziest crowd I've experienced here was Choi Vs Swanson

Found a pic I took from my seat at 129. Speaking of expensive seats, I was this far back and it was still close to $200 iirc. Spent most of the night looking at the screens above our section but it was totally worth being there as you guys are well aware
fB8FudQl.jpg
That's awesome man. Yeah I totally forgot about Rory and Nate on that card too. Great fight as well.

I was about 15-20 rows out from the octagon. I'll try to see if I have a picture but I was on the floor level for sure. Cost me $600 per ticket even after a discount.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
3195 posts
1127 upvotes
Wow, next weekend's UFC event being moved from Vegas to LA. Crazy.

Sucks for fans who made arrangements already and are left scrambling to find alternative arrangements.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
273 posts
36 upvotes
Jon Jones continues to disappoint. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets caught for roids a 3rd time, and then that's the last straw for him.
Jan 2, 2013
199 posts
199 upvotes
Leaf nation
sharpshooter88 wrote: Wow, next weekend's UFC event being moved from Vegas to LA. Crazy.

What a sh#t-storm this is. Can only imagine how many fans are flying into LV to make a weekend of this or how many received this as a Christmas gift only to find out the card is moved. Dick move Dana...not that he gives a rats ***
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
3195 posts
1127 upvotes
Omydeal wrote: What a sh#t-storm this is. Can only imagine how many fans are flying into LV to make a weekend of this or how many received this as a Christmas gift only to find out the card is moved. Dick move Dana...not that he gives a rats ***
Dana is out of touch. He screws over fans and gave the middle finger to his fighters not named Jones by not covering the extra taxes that fighters will now have to pay.

I've never rooted for anyone so much to win as I am tonight for Gus.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Them ladies did not want it to make it out of the first minute.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
2447 posts
239 upvotes
Brampton
This card has been really fun. I hope Jones gets smashed. Don't think he will, but that would be a great conclusion to the night.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1505 upvotes
Jones' fight IQ is high and he uses his freakishly long limbs too well.

I'm ecstatic for Amanda Nunes, it was a good event.
Jan 3, 2003
440 posts
159 upvotes
Vancouver Island
TheRealVinsanity wrote: All for Jon Jones.
And apparently the rules don't apply as well, unless the rabbit punch is legal now?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
7019 posts
1546 upvotes
Mississauga
Wow that ladies fight was off the hook, nothing held back!!
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
3195 posts
1127 upvotes
Man, Gus is a shadow of himself from their first fight. Wasn't even close.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5960 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
Longobongo wrote: Wow that ladies fight was off the hook, nothing held back!!
It was an amazing fight! I was so pumped up for it. Didn't expect Nunes win, let alone completely obliterate Cyborg like that. That was fight of the night for me.

Gus didn't look like the Gus we saw in the first fight or when he fought Cormier. He normally comes to go for war, but he looked tentative.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)