Sports & Recreation

The Official UFC & MMA thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 8:24 pm
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
lazarus wrote: I just assumed they paid Daley a bunch of money to hit Koscheck after the bell in order to promote the reality TV series.
Not a chance! If that ever came out, it would destroy the UFC and Dana White.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
396 upvotes
Canada
lazarus wrote: I just assumed they paid Daley a bunch of money to hit Koscheck after the bell in order to promote the reality TV series.
MMA = sport
Wrestling = entertainment

And...I say Rashad over Rampage by chopping the legs outta Rampage, or Rampage by vicious KO over Rashad
I would prefer to see Rampage/Shogun, but I think Rashad/Shogun is more likely
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3682 posts
19 upvotes
Viper98 wrote: on the forehead is still illegal

you can't slam ON YOUR OPPONENTS HEAD

the rule clearly states this

it doesn't say on the top of the head but face/back of the head is fine
it says no spiking on the neck or head
I am curious if you could please quote where that rule is found. I tried to look up the rule where this rule is outlined (UFC) and was not able to find it. I even tried to look it up in the unified rules of MMA and was not able to find it.

Both the Score and Sportsnet reporters stated that it was a legal move based on the unified rules as well.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2678 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
phomp wrote: I am curious if you could please quote where that rule is found. I tried to look up the rule where this rule is outlined (UFC) and was not able to find it. I even tried to look it up in the unified rules of MMA and was not able to find it.

Both the Score and Sportsnet reporters stated that it was a legal move based on the unified rules as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_mart ... es#Fouls_2
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NAC/NAC-467. ... 467Sec7962
The following acts constitute fouls in a contest or exhibition of mixed martial arts:
<snip>
18. Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck.
I don't know where these MMA 'experts' are getting their rules from. Despite Rogan's flaws, I have a lot of respect for his knowledge of MMA, and even he was wrong here.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
1725 posts
122 upvotes
Not a chance really. if that is the case then they also would of had to predicted the outcome...meaning they fixed the match.

No special conspiracy behind it..Daley was just stupid. Period.
And got completely hung out to dry for it.
Too bad..cause i was really rooting for him to knock Kos' head off. ...
SPOOOOOOOOOOOONN!!!!...
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10963 posts
791 upvotes
Scarborough
Alienxx45 wrote: Not a chance really. if that is the case then they also would of had to predicted the outcome...meaning they fixed the match.

No special conspiracy behind it..Daley was just stupid. Period.
And got completely hung out to dry for it.
Too bad..cause i was really rooting for him to knock Kos' head off. ...
agreed. there is no fixing or paying of anything.

Why would Dana White help Silva in Abu Dhabi? The UFC was overseas for the 1st time in Abu Dhabi and it wasn't easy getting there. He wanted to leave a good impression, not a bad one.

Secondly, the Daley event was just pure stupidity. He's been fired as well unless the UFC runs dry on welterweight competition (which it won't), Daley's gone for good or until Dana is gone.

I think by Dana giving Silva his next opponent in Sonnen who is an avid talker was a smart move. Sonnen will take away the attention from Silva and the Abu Dhabi event because of his big mouth.

Also UFC = sport + entertainment. They aren't enacting storylines but they are trying to create feuds in order to drive business. Prime example is Brock Lesnar. Another example is the preshows for the Penn/GSP fight. They try to create drama in other ways that work much better. Also, UFC doesn't need a bad image when its still trying to crack big markets like NY and Toronto.
Sep 10, 2004
687 posts
36 upvotes
For those that want to watch Overeem vs Rogers, the fight will be on Superchannel in Canada.

Rogers Cable has Superchannel on free preview (the HD channels too) for the next two months. There is a strong possibility that the Fedor-Werdum fight (Sometime in June) will also be on Superchannel.

Just a heads up.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
1725 posts
122 upvotes
G-Yo wrote: For those that want to watch Overeem vs Rogers, the fight will be on Superchannel in Canada.

Rogers Cable has Superchannel on free preview (the HD channels too) for the next two months. There is a strong possibility that the Fedor-Werdum fight (Sometime in June) will also be on Superchannel.

Just a heads up.
thats awesomee!
SPOOOOOOOOOOOONN!!!!...
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2003
2088 posts
20 upvotes
This is great news because i was dreading watching an internet stream of the event.
Sep 10, 2004
687 posts
36 upvotes
I should also mention that you MUST CALL IN and get them to unblock it for you.

It does not show up, unless you call them and specifically tell them that you want Superchannel.

I did this last night and within 15 minutes I received all the Superchannels (SC1, SC2, SC3, SC4 and HDSC1, HDSC2).

I also received an email (with an attached PDF that looks like an invoice) from Rogers confirming that it is FREE for the next 2 months. The invoice lists the price of all my services with the free preview (which remains unchanged), and the price once the promo expires (which shows that my services go up in price).

Here is a screen cap of the invoice, http://www.flickr.com/photos/50118979@N ... 2/sizes/o/
Deal Addict
May 6, 2006
2069 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
G-Yo wrote: I should also mention that you MUST CALL IN and get them to unblock it for you.

It does not show up, unless you call them and specifically tell them that you want Superchannel.

I did this last night and within 15 minutes I received all the Superchannels (SC1, SC2, SC3, SC4 and HDSC1, HDSC2).
Thanks for the tip man! I just called Rogers and got it added to my account. I also just set a reminder to cancel it after 2 months too :) Not worth $15.99 a month!
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
so apparently Jonny Bones Jones was offered the fight against Lil Nog but denied it

apparently he's afraid to fight anyone that's a high level striker which is why he's instead settling for fighting on a free TV card against Matyushenko
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2006
3909 posts
295 upvotes
Caledon
Think he'll actually have a very tough time versus Matyushenko. I think bad style matchup. Cant wait for Overeem vs Rogers and Silva vs Arlovski
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2678 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
The guy is not even 23 yet and only has 11 fights in his career. He's not afraid, he's just not ready.

In other news, it's pretty awesome how Koscheck looks like an even bigger fool with the Habs' win today.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Mintmaster wrote: The guy is not even 23 yet and only has 11 fights in his career. He's not afraid, he's just not ready.

In other news, it's pretty awesome how Koscheck looks like an even bigger fool with the Habs' win today.
That is the only reason I can stomach that victory.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
Mintmaster wrote: The guy is not even 23 yet and only has 11 fights in his career. He's not afraid, he's just not ready.

Kos also said on TMZ today that if he was in a streetfight against Tyson he would kill him

this guy is such a ******
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2002
2481 posts
14 upvotes
Viper98 wrote: this guy is such a ******
I actually cheered for Kos to beat Leben back in TUF1. Now I wish Leben had pounded this guy.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2006
3909 posts
295 upvotes
Caledon
I actually like Kos act. The invisible knee was a little ridiculous but he entertains me. A couple of the Sherdog radio guys were saying that he really is just a miserable person to be around. This actually surprised me alittle, as I figured it would be mostly an act

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)