The Official UFC & MMA thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 8:24 pm
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
so not only did Noons throw an illegal knee at the end of the fight........he also ingested an illegal substance before it?

:D watch this decision NOT get overturned
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2422 posts
794 upvotes
Tell Dana to weigh his fighters on the day of the fight.
Nov 15, 2004
269 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
Hopefully Edgar takes it and BJ moves up to 170 again. I would love for him to move up and stay for a while to see how well he does.

anyone know when Overeem is up for his next title defence?
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
AmirPars wrote: Hopefully Edgar takes it and BJ moves up to 170 again. I would love for him to move up and stay for a while to see how well he does.

anyone know when Overeem is up for his next title defence?
the reem will probably defend the belt feb/march of next year

it almost certainly wont be this year because Werdum can't fight and he's going to be busy with the K1 WGP at the end of the year so he wouldn't be able to properly traid for bigfoot(which is why they are having him fight Fedor)
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3682 posts
19 upvotes
Viper98 wrote: now to bet on UFC..... i'm kinda surprised Maynard is going off at +125 right now

by all means HE should be fighting for the title. He's gonna "bully" Florian for 3 rounds

also Edgar is a +250

how s a guy that beat up BJ Penn just a few months ago a +250 underdog in the immediate rematch

a parlay on JUST these two is paying off at nearly 7:1
wooo, at about 7:1...... I may consider.
Nov 15, 2004
269 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
Viper98 wrote: Dana White confirms immediate rematch for Sonnen
http://mmajunkie.com/news/20406/dana-wh ... -silva.mma
That's stupid. Immediate rematches are deserved only when its a close decision or controversial ending. Sonnen was clearly beaten. Most of his losses have come by the way of submissions, so this is a clear weakness that Silva can expose again.

here is a good article about the next step for MMA in Ontario:
http://www.cagepotato.com/now-it%E2%80% ... ng-ontario
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
AmirPars wrote: That's stupid. Immediate rematches are deserved only when its a close decision or controversial ending. Sonnen was clearly beaten. Most of his losses have come by the way of submissions, so this is a clear weakness that Silva can expose again.

here is a good article about the next step for MMA in Ontario:
http://www.cagepotato.com/now-it%E2%80% ... ng-ontario
if Sonnen wasn't dominating the fight until he got caught late in the final round there'd be no rematch

but he was up at LEAST 49-44 at that point
Nov 15, 2004
269 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
Viper98 wrote: if Sonnen wasn't dominating the fight until he got caught late in the final round there'd be no rematch

but he was up at LEAST 49-44 at that point
I agree, but sonnen threw everything he had at silva and still came up short. Some of the punches that silva took were just weird, his hands were down and he didn't even try to dodge them. He clearly looked different.

I think it'd be best if sonnen faces someone else in order to gain some experience for a possible rematch with the champ.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
3758 posts
186 upvotes
Immediate rematches are ********, and the fans do not want to see two fights fighting again back to back. Just look at BJ vs Frankie, I am honestly not interested and excited by this fight, because I found their last fight to be kinda boring. So why do an immediate rematch?
I think Okami deserves a shot at Anderson before Chael does again, Okami was the last person to actually score a W over Anderson, although by DQ. And he has been tearing up the MW division since he came to the UFC, going 9-2.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
Skip2MyLou wrote: Immediate rematches are ********, and the fans do not want to see two fights fighting again back to back. Just look at BJ vs Frankie, I am honestly not interested and excited by this fight, because I found their last fight to be kinda boring. So why do an immediate rematch?
I think Okami deserves a shot at Anderson before Chael does again, Okami was the last person to actually score a W over Anderson, although by DQ. And he has been tearing up the MW division since he came to the UFC, going 9-2.
I completely disgree with you

There's no person I would rather see Anderson fight than Chael

and I found the first BJ/Edgar fight to be one of the better fights of the year for the UFC
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
3758 posts
186 upvotes
Viper98 wrote: I completely disgree with you

There's no person I would rather see Anderson fight than Chael

and I found the first BJ/Edgar fight to be one of the better fights of the year for the UFC
better fights of the year? i dont know about that. It didn't even get fight of the night for that event.

I still don't see how Chael gets a rematch, I understand they rematch when it's a close and controversial decision like shogun/machida and penn/edgar. But Chael got finished, just like everyone thought he would, he got subbed. Nothing controversial about that, he's always gonna get subbed by a superior ground fighter.
I think UFC is doing it because it was an entertaining fight and the ppv will make a lot of buys. But it doesn't justify giving him a 2nd shot when other people are in line for the title.
Same thing will happen in the rematch, but Silva will sub him quicker, Chael just doesn't learn.
Nov 15, 2004
269 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
even GSP had to fight Kos before getting a shot of the belt (Hughes + Serra).

Anyways, Silva will be a beast in the rematch. He will embarrass Sonnen and that will put Chael out of the title picture for a while.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
AmirPars wrote: even GSP had to fight Kos before getting a shot of the belt (Hughes + Serra).

Anyways, Silva will be a beast in the rematch. He will embarrass Sonnen and that will put Chael out of the title picture for a while.
when GSP lost to Hughes and Serra he didn't get an immediate rematch because he didn't dominate either fight

in fact he didn't do jack against Serra. he just got beat down brutally and tapped to strikes
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
3758 posts
186 upvotes
Viper98 wrote: when GSP lost to Hughes and Serra he didn't get an immediate rematch because he didn't dominate either fight

in fact he didn't do jack against Serra. he just got beat down brutally and tapped to strikes
yeah i agree, that was a horrible example. lol.

a better example would be forrest vs rampage, that was a very close fight. Rampage never got his rematch.
Nov 15, 2004
269 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
Sonnen managed to get dominant position and then he went on to inflict very little damage for 4 1/2 rounds.

Did you notice that every time Silva got a jab from below, Sonnen would smother him and avoid him? I'm not saying that he should have eaten those punches, but that was a good time to get through Silva's guard.

But at the end of the fight, the winner was 100% clear. This is why I think a rematch is the wrong idea. It's good for the UFC because they will get a lot of buys (and hype), since their first fight was very entertaining.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on BJ moving up to Welterweight and finishing his career there?
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
AmirPars wrote: Sonnen managed to get dominant position and then he went on to inflict very little damage for 4 1/2 rounds.

Did you notice that every time Silva got a jab from below, Sonnen would smother him and avoid him? I'm not saying that he should have eaten those punches, but that was a good time to get through Silva's guard.

But at the end of the fight, the winner was 100% clear. This is why I think a rematch is the wrong idea. It's good for the UFC because they will get a lot of buys (and hype), since their first fight was very entertaining.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on BJ moving up to Welterweight and finishing his career there?
Silva has gator skin which makes it hard to cut/swell/show damage. Sonnen definitely was throwing good shots.
even if he wasn't he outstuck Anderson 10:1 so the power of his shots was irrelevant

and no... BJ should stay at LW. He'll never be WW champ so what's the point
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1511 posts
31 upvotes
Viper98 wrote: Silva has gator skin which makes it hard to cut/swell/show damage. Sonnen definitely was throwing good shots.
even if he wasn't he outstuck Anderson 10:1 so the power of his shots was irrelevant

and no... BJ should stay at LW. He'll never be WW champ so what's the point
BJ would need to work real hard to even be top 3:
-Dominated again by GSP easily

-Jon Fitch'd easily

-Alves *could* put him to sleep if he ever got his weight in order

-Koscheck wouldn't be able to land any looping right bombs, but I'm sure he could fake a knee to the face/eye and pull out a win too

I'd like to see Penn vs. Koscheck pre-fight smack talk though, that'd be pretty fun :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)