Page 150 of 930

Re: The Official UFC & MMA thread: UFC 202: Diaz vs McGregor 2 - August 20th

Posted: Feb 1st, 2009 11:52 am
by NiMSo
Although I was supporting GSP, I still respect BJ Penn's fighting ability. One must keep in mind that he was fighting at a higher weight class, which can be quite challenging. As mentioned previously, his defense was fairly solid in the first round when he was energized. However, he only started to lose badly once he started to tire. You can argue that BJ's performance was disappointing, but realize that he's fighting someone who's naturally bigger and stronger while at an unnatural weight, so obviously he was somewhat disadvantaged to begin with.

Posted: Feb 1st, 2009 11:53 am
by surge
It was an alright event, 5 split decisions though... Also, I'd like to point out that Cecil Peoples has a random score generating machine and doesn't bother watching fights.

To recent news: BJ now has officially filed a complaint about the vaseline on GSP's back.

In other news: Anyone else not too excited about UFCs 95-97? Stevenson vs. Sanchez... meh... Jackson vs. Jardine (why does this look like a stepping stone for Jackson, when does Jardine get a shot? but also, meh.. just a little better meh than 95). Silva vs Leites (getting interesting, but meh...) Liddell vs. Rua (they should call this a masters match like Taktarov vs. Kerr)

Posted: Feb 1st, 2009 12:07 pm
by Viper98
lol I was just coming to post how BJ can't even take his beating like a man and is complaining about GSP getting greased in between round 1 and 2 but looks like I got beat

Posted: Feb 1st, 2009 12:10 pm
by Twitch1977
To recent news: BJ now has officially filed a complaint about the vaseline on GSP's back.
I thought he'd be complaining about the lack of vaseline after that raping.

Nice to see he can be just as classy in defeat.

T

Posted: Feb 1st, 2009 12:11 pm
by rems
Viper98 wrote: lol I was just coming to post how BJ can't even take his beating like a man and is complaining about GSP getting greased in between round 1 and 2 but looks like I got beat
was it BJ who complained or his camp? I did see how BJ's attempted triangles were unsuccessful cuz it kept slipping...but that was probably just sweat. But BJ should just accept the loss and worry about KenFlo

Posted: Feb 1st, 2009 12:21 pm
by surge
rems wrote: was it BJ who complained or his camp? I did see how BJ's attempted triangles were unsuccessful cuz it kept slipping...but that was probably just sweat. But BJ should just accept the loss and worry about KenFlo
http://www.cagepotato.com/bj-penns-camp ... een-rounds

Cage potato says "his camp" but there's not much of a difference. He could have said no to the complaint instead of being a little ***** about it.

Posted: Feb 1st, 2009 12:24 pm
by Evil Baby
here are a few quotes on the incident
B.J. Penn's camp has filed a formal complaint with the Nevada State Athletic Commission over Vaseline that was allegedly rubbed on Georges St. Pierre's back between rounds one and two. UFC president Dana White said at the post-fight press conference that he was aware of the complaint, and said he personally witnessed members of the commission take the Vaseline away from GSP's camp and rebuke them in the Octagon between rounds.

"I saw the commission jump up there and flipping out," said Dana White. They said one of the guys was rubbing Vaseline on Georges' back in between rounds. It was one and two, I think."

"The guys from the athletic commission went up there and started screaming at them. Knocked the Vaseline and kicked the Vaseline out of the Octagon."

White added that "some Vaseline on a guy's back didn't change the outcome of that fight, but you don't do it," and said the blame should fall on the cornerman responsible and not GSP.

"If a guy was intentionally putting Vaseline on a guy's back, he should never corner a mixed martial arts fight again."
GSP's side of the story:
During a post-fight appearance on ESPN’s MMA Live St-Pierre explained that one of his trainers applied Vaseline to his face between the first and second rounds then rubbed his back with the same hand between the second and third rounds, accidentally applying some remaining Vaseline to his back. An NSAC official who witnessed the transfer had the Vaseline immediately wiped off with a towel.

Little is likely to come of the complaint as St-Pierre was already dominating Penn prior to the incident and the substance was immediately removed, ensuring that it had no effect on the bout’s outcome, however we’ll pass along more information on the situation when it becomes available.

Posted: Feb 1st, 2009 12:50 pm
by Viper98
"Cry Baby" J

Posted: Feb 1st, 2009 12:57 pm
by Wildfire
"To the death, don't piss me off george, to the death"

Or at least till I get my brother to throw in the towel.... :lol:

Posted: Feb 1st, 2009 1:05 pm
by snider
Well the complaint should definitely be looked at because that's unacceptable behaviour by the cornerman. Whether it affected the outcome isn't the point, the commission has to put a stop to this "cheating". There are gifs out there clearing showing Phil Nurse rubbing it GSP's shoulders and then back. At one point, one of the commissioners quickly wiped GSP's back with a towel but it takes more than that to get rid of all the vaseline.

The same cornerman did the same thing in previous GSP fights like against Jon Fitch, they should have warned them then. I don't blame this on GSP though, he's so good and talented that he doesn't need an extra advantage.

Posted: Feb 1st, 2009 1:16 pm
by phomp
Wildfire wrote: "To the death, don't piss me off george, to the death"

Or at least till I get my brother to throw in the towel.... :lol:
IDK, but I did not see BJ give up or have the towel thrown in. GSP was dominating though but I have never seen Bj Penn give up. The doctor recommended the stopage, JD Penn said lets end it and the ref stopped it.

Otherwise, If Penn quit it would have been a submission not a ref stoppage.

Posted: Feb 1st, 2009 1:17 pm
by phomp
surge wrote: In other news: Anyone else not too excited about UFCs 95-97? Stevenson vs. Sanchez... meh... Jackson vs. Jardine (why does this look like a stepping stone for Jackson, when does Jardine get a shot? but also, meh.. just a little better meh than 95). Silva vs Leites (getting interesting, but meh...) Liddell vs. Rua (they should call this a masters match like Taktarov vs. Kerr)
I think they are saving fights for UFC 100, that is my guess.

Posted: Feb 1st, 2009 1:20 pm
by CSR
phomp wrote: IDK, but I did not see BJ give up or have the towel thrown in. GSP was dominating though but I have never seen Bj Penn give up. The doctor recommended the stopage, JD Penn said lets end it and the ref stopped it.

Otherwise, If Penn quit it would have been a submission not a ref stoppage.
No, if you watched the broadcast until the end, they showed BJ's brother signaling to the doctor to stop the fight with a "hand to the throat" (cutting) action.

Posted: Feb 1st, 2009 1:37 pm
by sexpuppet6000
Wow you guys are so critical of people. You must all live very perfect lives.

- ufc 94 "st. Pierre vs. Penn" fighter salaries

Posted: Feb 1st, 2009 1:52 pm
by Praetorian
Sunday, February 01, 2009 - by MMAWeekly.com Staff

MMAWeekly has obtained the fighter salary information from the Nevada State Athletic Commission for UFC 94 "Georges St. Pierre vs. B.J. Penn" featuring the welterweight championship mega-fight, which took place on Saturday, Jan. 31, at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

The following figures are based on the fighter salary information that promoters are required by law to submit to the state athletic commissions, including the winners' bonuses.

Although mixed martial arts fighters do not have collective bargaining or a union, the fighters' salaries are still public record, just as with every other major sport in the United States. Any undisclosed bonuses that a promoter also pays its fighters, but does not disclose to the athletic commissions (specifically, pay-per-view bonuses, fight of the night bonuses, etc.), are not included in the figures below.

In the listings below, "Main Event Fighters" are defined as fighters who compete in the main event of a show. "Main Card Fighters" are defined as fighters whose fights appear on the main card, but not in the main event. "Preliminary Card Fighters" are defined as fighters whose matches take place before the main card goes on the air, regardless of whether or not those matches end up airing on the TV or Internet broadcast.

MAIN EVENT FIGHTERS

Georges St. Pierre $400,000 (includes $200,000 win bonus) def. B.J. Penn $125,000 (win bonus would have been $125,000)

MAIN CARD FIGHTERS

Lyoto Machida $120,000 (includes $60,000 win bonus) def. Thiago Silva $29,000 (win bonus would have been $29,000)

Jon Jones $14,000 (includes $7,000 win bonus) def. Stephan Bonnar $22,000 (win bonus would have been $22,000)

Karo Parisyan $80,000 (includes $40,000 win bonus) def. Dong Hyun Kim $26,000 (win bonus would have been $26,000)

Clay Guida $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Nate Diaz $20,000 (win bonus would have been $20,000)

PRELIMINARY CARD FIGHTERS

Jon Fitch $68,000 (includes $34,000 win bonus) def. Akihiro Gono $28,000 (win bonus would have been $28,000)

Thiago Tavares $26,000 (includes $13,000 win bonus) def. Manny Gamburyan $14,000 (win bonus would have been $14,000)

John Howard $6,000 (includes $3,000 win bonus) def. Chris Wilson $15,000 (win bonus would have been $15,000)

Dan Cramer $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus) def. Matt Arroyo $8,000 (win bonus would have been $8,000)

UFC 94 DISCLOSED FIGHTER PAYROLL: $1,057,000

Posted: Feb 1st, 2009 2:09 pm
by CSR
GSP on BJ penn:

"My strategy was in the first two rounds to make a wrestling match with him, because he has very quick hands and his shoulder is made for boxing," St-Pierre said immediately after the bout. "Because he has small shoulders, by making him wrestle, all the blood would have (to) go into his shoulder and it would have become stiff, and his hand would not come out as it is usually."

http://www.gorillafights.com/articles/6 ... -Penn.html

Posted: Feb 1st, 2009 2:12 pm
by FerrisB
What a joke, the UFC is still screwing the fighters.

" UFC would finish '08 with almost $300 million in pay-per-view revenue, making it the most lucrative year for any company in PPV history." NBC SPORTS

That's JUST PPV revenue. Then factor in advertising, merchandising and DVD sales etc and I bet they did close to 1/2 billion. BJ making 125k for a main event is a travesty.

Posted: Feb 1st, 2009 2:31 pm
by TechRock
offtopic: anyone know where i can get a GSP shirt in toronto?

Posted: Feb 1st, 2009 2:38 pm
by CeoOfKFC
snider wrote: Well the complaint should definitely be looked at because that's unacceptable behaviour by the cornerman. Whether it affected the outcome isn't the point, the commission has to put a stop to this "cheating". There are gifs out there clearing showing Phil Nurse rubbing it GSP's shoulders and then back. At one point, one of the commissioners quickly wiped GSP's back with a towel but it takes more than that to get rid of all the vaseline.

The same cornerman did the same thing in previous GSP fights like against Jon Fitch, they should have warned them then. I don't blame this on GSP though, he's so good and talented that he doesn't need an extra advantage.
Nothing compared to this fraud:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing ... id=3867817

Gotta wonder how many fights he won with those "steel" fists. Wouldn't be surprised if they ship his ass back to Mexico.

Posted: Feb 1st, 2009 2:47 pm
by Mintmaster
FerrisB wrote: What a joke, the UFC is still screwing the fighters.
QFT. That's why I'll never pay for a UFC fight until the fighters unionize and push back for a reasonable cut, and Affliction will get my money until they go bankrupt. It's disgusting how the UFC management uses the blood and sweat of others to so disproportionately line their own pockets.

I really wish this ridiculous inequity was publicized more. Every other major sport - including boxing - has ~50% of the revenue go to the athletes. Does the UFC even give 10% to them? :mad:
That's JUST PPV revenue. Then factor in advertising, merchandising and DVD sales etc and I bet they did close to 1/2 billion.
Don't forget ticket sales! The gate at UFC 94 alone brought in over $4 million. Props to the UFC for pulling an American Idol by making money while promoting their product, but they still ought to compensate the fighters better.