The Official UFC & MMA thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 8:24 pm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5960 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
you know your organization sucks if Keith Jardine is worthy of a title shot :razz:
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4453 posts
260 upvotes
nineiron wrote: the UFC is dying a slow death and you can thank that greasy fake GSP for it!

ya i've heard pay per view sales are down

adopt the pride rules and intros, they made the fighters seem like demi-gods
Temp. Banned
Feb 8, 2005
2335 posts
247 upvotes
DiploDocus wrote: ya i've heard pay per view sales are down

adopt the pride rules and intros, they made the fighters seem like demi-gods

pride rules would definitely help... would keep guys like gsp, fitch, mendes and story out of mma.

ppv sales are down mainly cuz no one wants to see a guy out hug another guy for 3 or 5 rounds.

problem with pride rules is that it will never get sanctioned (yellow cards, soccer kicks)

what they need is a "shot clock" whenever the fight hits the ground. i say give'em 20 seconds once the fight hits the ground, then stand them up.
Temp. Banned
Feb 8, 2005
2335 posts
247 upvotes
Kris81 wrote: Pretty good strikeforce event last night.

Looks like Saffiedine will take on Woodley for the Welterweight championship vacancy (Saffiedine broke his arm in the first round & went on to destroy his opponent for 2 more rounds)

Rockhold destroyed Jardine, and then called out some of the UFC upper guys to come to Strikeforce for a shot at the title

King Mo looked impressive in his KO victory

Overall a pretty good card, too bad if you're just a UFC fanboy and missed it. The next event is March 3rd headlined by Tate vs Rousey for the 135lbs women's title, and Paul daley will be back on the card.

didn't know saffiedine broke his arm...

that woodley is a joke.. reminds me of gsp and fitch.

ya, i hate ufc fanboys.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2007
1277 posts
51 upvotes
nineiron wrote: the UFC is dying a slow death and you can thank that greasy fake GSP for it!

That is a ridiculously ignorant comment. Go to a bar on UFC night to see how much it's "dying." You also say this as UFC expands to Brazil, continued expansion in Europe, and now Asia as well as its recent deal on network television.

Also, PPV numbers have been down lately because of the change in start times (from 10 to 9) which resulted in fewer people in the west coast ordering. With its switch back to 10:00 expect numbers to go back up
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2007
1277 posts
51 upvotes
nineiron wrote:
what they need is a "shot clock" whenever the fight hits the ground. i say give'em 20 seconds once the fight hits the ground, then stand them up.

That's the worst idea I've ever heard
Temp. Banned
Feb 8, 2005
2335 posts
247 upvotes
onehaehyuk wrote: That is a ridiculously ignorant comment. Go to a bar on UFC night to see how much it's "dying." You also say this as UFC expands to Brazil, continued expansion in Europe, and now Asia as well as its recent deal on network television.

Also, PPV numbers have been down lately because of the change in start times (from 10 to 9) which resulted in fewer people in the west coast ordering. With its switch back to 10:00 expect numbers to go back up

i go to the bars and there's no where near as many ppl as there were a year or 2 ago. even when brock fought, had no trouble getting a seat.

face it. it's dying because the fights are getting boring. why are they getting boring? because some fighters have decided to emulate gsp as he's been successful with his boring game plans.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4453 posts
260 upvotes
nineiron wrote: good, that means it's probably a good idea.

its interesting idea

i see too many fights where a guy will take down opponent, lay ontop and LOOk like they are doing something but in reality nothing

King Mo vs Mousasi = Mo's face looked destroyed after fight yet still won by laying on Mousasi for 5 rounds. Mousasi's face was clean.

[IMG]http://www.hyefighters.com/wp-content/u ... -stats.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5960 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
nineiron wrote: pride rules would definitely help... would keep guys like gsp, fitch, mendes and story out of mma.

ppv sales are down mainly cuz no one wants to see a guy out hug another guy for 3 or 5 rounds.

problem with pride rules is that it will never get sanctioned (yellow cards, soccer kicks)

Keeping GSP out of MMA will be detrimental to sales. Funny thing I remember I was hating on GSP for his lacklustre performance against KOS, and folks were hating on me. One fight later against Shields, now it seems like everyone has decided to jump on my bandwagon and also hate on GSP :D :D

I think it's getting less attention in bars since cards aren't stacked like the way they used to be. The more cards that come out the more watered down it seems. Like I have minimal desire to watch the Aldo/Mendes bout.
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
206 upvotes
Listen, i'm the biggest GSP hater of them all because he's SO BORING, but changing the rules is stupid. The only idiots who changed the rules are the NHL, and since they made the game faster & more entertaining for fans by removing the red lines, concussions have gone through the roof.

If you don't want to be wrestled & laid on for 3-5 rounds straight, learn some take down defense & stop it, making sure they don't take you down. That's what guys like Dominick Cruz, Jose Aldo, and as of recent Mousasi have been working on.
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
206 upvotes
Also, really REALLY good looking card this weekend, unfortunately some cards are lined up just to see people from brazil win (i.e Palhares). Erick Silva & Edson Barboza are future champs, bet on it!!

I've got Aldo, Johnson, Palhares, Barboza, Silva, Stout, Oliviera, Omigawa, Pyle & Arantes going home with the V
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4453 posts
260 upvotes
Kris81 wrote: Listen, i'm the biggest GSP hater of them all because he's SO BORING, but changing the rules is stupid. The only idiots who changed the rules are the NHL, and since they made the game faster & more entertaining for fans by removing the red lines, concussions have gone through the roof.

If you don't want to be wrestled & laid on for 3-5 rounds straight, learn some take down defense & stop it, making sure they don't take you down. That's what guys like Dominick Cruz, Jose Aldo, and as of recent Mousasi have been working on.

Anderson silva got booed against Demian Maia, Thales Leites because Silva HAD to distance himself as those fighters take people down and lay on them for majority of the fights. You can even look back at posts on this forum to see peoples hate towards silva not pushing forward, you just can't against some fighters who will at the drop of a hat take you down and do nothing when they get there.

Mousasi vs Jardine, look at Jardines face and this fight was a draw.....Jardine went for takedowns and did ****

[IMG]http://sportsnickel.com/wp-content/uplo ... e-face.jpg[/IMG]

a 1 or 2 minute stand up rule would be interesting, if a fighter takes opponent down he has 1 minute to do something if he's not in submit position they get stood back up, same with Wall and Stall (Randy couture tactic)
Temp. Banned
Feb 8, 2005
2335 posts
247 upvotes
Kris81 wrote: Listen, i'm the biggest GSP hater of them all because he's SO BORING, but changing the rules is stupid. The only idiots who changed the rules are the NHL, and since they made the game faster & more entertaining for fans by removing the red lines, concussions have gone through the roof.

nice try.

there have been rule changes in basketball, football and soccer.
Temp. Banned
Feb 8, 2005
2335 posts
247 upvotes
Kris81 wrote: Also, really REALLY good looking card this weekend, unfortunately some cards are lined up just to see people from brazil win (i.e Palhares). Erick Silva & Edson Barboza are future champs, bet on it!!

I've got Aldo, Johnson, Palhares, Barboza, Silva, Stout, Oliviera, Omigawa, Pyle & Arantes going home with the V

johnson's gonna get KTFO
Temp. Banned
Feb 8, 2005
2335 posts
247 upvotes
DiploDocus wrote: Anderson silva got booed against Demian Maia, Thales Leites because Silva HAD to distance himself as those fighters take people down and lay on them for majority of the fights. You can even look back at posts on this forum to see peoples hate towards silva not pushing forward, you just can't against some fighters who will at the drop of a hat take you down and do nothing when they get there.

Mousasi vs Jardine, look at Jardines face and this fight was a draw.....Jardine went for takedowns and did ****

[IMG]http://sportsnickel.com/wp-content/uplo ... e-face.jpg[/IMG]

a 1 or 2 minute stand up rule would be interesting, if a fighter takes opponent down he has 1 minute to do something if he's not in submit position they get stood back up, same with Wall and Stall (Randy couture tactic)

finally, someone with a brain on this forum.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2007
1277 posts
51 upvotes
I agree with the post saying there's no need to change the rules, things would have to get pretty un-entertaining for a need to do something drastic. Everyone's on here talking about rule changes, the ONLY thing that needs fixing/changing is the judging system. I agree, if a guy takes someone down and does no damage he should be rewarded less than someone who does more damage while standing up. But giving people a time limit while on the ground is just a ridiculous idea and gives strikers an automatic advantage in every fight for the sake of appeasing prissy fans who keep complaining about lack of entertainment. It takes away from the purity of MMA as a sport by introducing such ludicrous changes. The refs already stand fighters up if they're on the ground and are not active enough.

So please stop b*tching and if all you really see are knockouts go watch K-1.
Temp. Banned
Feb 8, 2005
2335 posts
247 upvotes
onehaehyuk wrote: I agree with the post saying there's no need to change the rules, things would have to get pretty un-entertaining for a need to do something drastic. Everyone's on here talking about rule changes, the ONLY thing that needs fixing/changing is the judging system. I agree, if a guy takes someone down and does no damage he should be rewarded less than someone who does more damage while standing up. But giving people a time limit while on the ground is just a ridiculous idea and gives strikers an automatic advantage in every fight for the sake of appeasing prissy fans who keep complaining about lack of entertainment. It takes away from the purity of MMA as a sport by introducing such ludicrous changes. The refs already stand fighters up if they're on the ground and are not active enough.

So please stop b*tching and if all you really see are knockouts go watch K-1.

why don't you go watch college wrestling. which reminds me... do you know why there's no such thing as real professional wrestling? that's right, cuz it's boring as f.
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
206 upvotes
nineiron wrote: nice try.

there have been rule changes in basketball, football and soccer.

And your point is?

Again, if you don't want to be laid on for 25 minutes you should learn to adapt and stop the takedown.
Temp. Banned
Feb 8, 2005
2335 posts
247 upvotes

Kris81 wrote: And your point is?

it was in response to your ignorant comment in bold.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)