• Aug 24th, 2016 12:39 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2006
9799 posts
368 upvotes
Fixer81 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2010 7:39 pm
Sorry , but even if I wanted to , I just can't troll a bunch of uneducated brainwashed TUF-generation MMA "fans"
But don't worry , you can keep group masturbating over your hero GSP and his "brilliant" dominating decisioning of Josh "The Muhammad Ali of MMA" Koscheck

And don't you EVER compare GSP to a stud like Cain Velasquez , they are not even at the same planet .
Cain is a relentless freight train wrestler with huge heart and killer instinct .

Cain Velasquez is a real fighter like Fedor , they are both as real as they come .
They are not entering the cage with the intention to score point and protect their pretty boy face like GSP does , they entering the cage to fight and destroy or get destroyed .

GSP displayed great skills that fight and thats something that cannot be ignored. Koscheck called him out and told him to stand (and I bet you said he would immediately take him down) and GSP stood and pounded him.

Even if GSP KO'd Kos, you'd still be all over him for being lame.

Cain Velasquez does go fight to destroy BUT UFC has for the most part fed him opponents that are prone to getting KO'ed or were KO'ed previously. Look at his fights leading up the title shot. Rothwell and Noguira recent matches were KOed by other opponents. Velasquez against Lesnar only in my opinion got the TKO because Lesnar went wild. If Lesnar had the same technical boxing that GSP had, it wouldn't have been a KO that early. Instead, the man went wild and he caught him. Plain and simple. Even then, Brock's chin has been suspect with even Mir and Couture clipping him. Also, different weight classes = different levels of strength behind those punches. More mass = more momentum.

MMA statistics also showed that approx 60% of HW bouts end with TKO where as a welterweight bouts roughly end with 35% being a TKO. That already skews your opinion of Cain Velasquez and an indication of why HW's get more TKO's. They are bigger and their punches have more 'punch'. HW's for the most part also have in general a smaller gas tank so by the time they hit later rounds, they are basically swinging for the fences. I should also add that HW's have the lowest amount of fights reaching decisions.

Your simply ignorant in the fact that NO FIGHTER goes into that cage trying to win a 'decision'. No one is dumb enough to leave matches basically their fate in the hands of other people when they have the ability to try to control their own fate. Get real for once and think a bit.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2008
9809 posts
350 upvotes
Overeem is the best striker in the world....... But the majority of his wins are by submission

Dana greatly underrates ubereem all the time
He who tries will be wasted
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2573 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto (Pasadena
Dr Fuquilibrium wrote:
Dec 12th, 2010 11:27 am
Fedor's been ducking top competition for a while now. Overeem would walk right through him and I don't like his chances against the top tier of the UFC HW division either.
Overeem is a fantastically gifted fighter, but he's played everyone in making Fedor look like a ducker.

Before signing his fight with Werdum, Overeem was a nobody in MMA, with no top 20 wins in four years. His call out Fedor back then was a joke. In mid-July he says his first priority is Werdum, then Fedor, then K1. Fedor also wants Werdum, and Werdum offers a rematch but doesn't decide on surgery until mid August. Less than two weeks later, Fedor goes to plan B, which also coincides with Overeem's plan B from a month earlier: he asks to fight Overeem.

Lo and behold, the Reem says its too late, as he's already decided on K1, even though nobody knew anything about that decision and nothing was set in stone for K1. Then you have journalists propagating some BS rumour that the fight was off because M1 wanted a blood test. Finally, the Reem recently said that he wants to take a break, so he won't do MMA until maybe early summer. On top of that, Werdum wants to fight someone else before fighting Fedor.

Fedor hasn't been ducking anyone. Dana White has just manipulated the MMA crowd just like he always does, and Overeem joined in the fun. Remember how Brock was anointed "baddest man on the planet" after beating a limp and gassed Carwin? Anyone who thinks he could beat Fedor (or JDS, or Overeem) after watching UFC 121 needs their head examined. Now with Brock's mountain of hype shattered, Carwin out for surgery, Overeem as K1 champ, and SF's recent acquisitions/talent (e.g. Cormier and Del Rosario) you can legitimately argue that they have the better, more exciting HW division, and SF will let Fedor fight anyone he wants outside their roster if the offer comes.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2573 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto (Pasadena
Fixer81 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2010 2:47 am
Funny how you guys masturbate over another weak ass "dominating" decision by George Lay. Pierre
The guy doesn't have any killer instinct whatsoever , and it's doesn't even matter what kind of BS , worthless competition the UFC feeds him , he just can't finish a fight to save his life

The good thing about this kind of BS that is just makes you appreciate Fedor even more , not only the P4P best ever , but also the most exciting , fearless fighter in MMA history
There's nothing wrong with appreciating Fedor over GSP. I don't agree that he's a better fighter, but I can see the argument.

However, for you to sh*t on GSP or his opponents is nonsense and shows how ignorant you are about MMA. Have you looked at his recent competition and what GSP did to them?

Fitch - one of the P4P best. GSP dished out more punishment on him than all his other 13 UFC opponents combined.

Penn - Arguably an all-time P4P best. Thanks his cornerman for stopping the fight, because in his own words the fifth could have cost him his career.

Alves - Dropped with punches (arguably twice) for the first time ever against GSP, and is in tears after the fight.

Koscheck - GSP breaks his f***ing orbital bone. He can't even fly home because an air pocked formed and he needs rush surgery. The fight should have been stopped.

Worthless competition my ass. All these guys are still the 5 WWs in the world, aside from Penn, who just destroyed Hughes and has a good chance against Fitch.

Nowadays, any top fighter in the lighter weight classes who doesn't want to be finished won't be. Koscheck got messed up and was cautious the rest of the fight with his corner screaming at him to do something. Hardy was all defense against GSP, just looking to avoid getting finished and mounting zero offense, unlike his fight with Condit where he opened up. At LW, Penn only finished Sanchez due to a cut stoppage, and against Edgar neither landed any significant damage at all, let alone get close to finishing (expect the same with Edgar-Maynard). Silva got a gift when Sonnen leaned back and threw wild punches, accentuating his horrible BJJ defense, but can't even finish UFC rejects like Leites/Cote (no, he didn't finish Cote, as Cote finished himself) and even refused to engage a banged up incompetent striker with zero power in Maia.

Aldo is the only finishing champ at the lighter weights, but wait till he's in his tenure as champ a bit longer and his opponents become more cautious. Aldo already cruised in the final round against a one-legged Faber, as opposed to GSP's continued attacks on Koscheck.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but after Aldo, GSP is the most consistently exciting champ you'll see below LHW for a long time. He's aggressive against all opponents, and not a counterstriker like Silva or Penn who need to face a reckless/unskilled striker to be exciting. He does lots of damage, unlike Maynard, Fitch, or Edgar. So your only recourse is Aldo and the higher weight classes with slower fighters and heavier strikes.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2573 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto (Pasadena
Fixer81 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2010 7:39 pm
And don't you EVER compare GSP to a stud like Cain Velasquez , they are not even at the same planet .
Cain is a relentless freight train wrestler with huge heart and killer instinct .
You're calling us ignorant, but you're comparing the finishing ability of two HWs to a WW? :lol:

You call GSP competition worthless, but you praise Cain whose biggest win is TKO'ing the guy with the worst striking defense in the entire UFC? What a joke. Just leave before you make yourself look even dumber. You remind me of this clown named qeqw443 who used to post in this thread.

And WTF is up with your obsession with masturbating? Give your hand some rest and think about other things from time to time...
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
2623 posts
149 upvotes
The GSP fight was definitely not FOTN. The Riddle one definitely deserved it. He reminded me of Leonard Garcia. Even after getting outboxed by that new Canadian who was making his UFC Debut; Riddle was still swinging non-stop. He was a warrior, and laughed off every time he got punched. Reminded me of a zombie fighter, kept moving forward swinging, regardless of being hit, and regardless if he wasn't hitting the guy in front. But the Canadian in this fight seemed to tire after the first round. He'll need to work on his cardio if he plans on continuing to fight high calibre fighters.

GSP deserved to win his fight, but I must admit, it was a pretty boring fight. I actually find Anderson Silva's fights where he mocks his opponents more entertaining. Or when he helps them up, then knocks them down again. Then helps them up, and repeats this until the ref calls the fight.

A lot of the submission fights also deserved FOTN more so than the GSP fight.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3731 posts
30 upvotes
I actually do agree with Dana on the fact that Overeem winning the K-1 GP should not be a factor in his mma ranking.

I think most agree he is in top 10. Dana would probably say he is top 10 at this point if Overeem was signed to the UFC, even before stepping into the octagon. Being that he is not signed, he is part of the competition..... and it is business. We have seen Dana rip on guys, and change his tune as soon as he signs them.

Though, if you have Overeem ranked at whatever number in the top 10, his K-1 GP win (while very very impressive) does not change where he is ranked in MMA. It may change where you think he will be ranked and what he can do to others of course.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4021 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto
GSP's fight was boring - 25 minutes of damn near left jabs and inside kicks is boring regardless of whoever it is, but nonetheless it was effective since Kos had no answer, and it got GSP the Win and allowed him to walk away unscathed. So boring, but highly effective.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2008
9809 posts
350 upvotes
glover78 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2010 4:19 pm
GSP's fight was boring - 25 minutes of damn near left jabs and inside kicks is boring regardless of whoever it is, but nonetheless it was effective since Kos had no answer, and it got GSP the Win and allowed him to walk away unscathed. So boring, but highly effective.

I don't know how you can think that was boring

I bet you thought Riddle's 3 rounds of shadow boxing was good though
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4021 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto
^ You honestly found that fight compelling from start to finish? Don't get me wrong I was for GSP 100%, but knowing his deep skill set and the hype surrounding this fight, him pretty much ONLY doing left jabs and kicks made the fight boring. It was cool during the first 2 rounds since he was just punishing Kos and just showing how superior he was to him, but later on it got boring given it was the same thing over and over again - it kind of felt like a video on loop. I'm pretty sure the energy at the Bell Centre dropped past the 2nd round, that's what happened at the bar I was at.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2008
9809 posts
350 upvotes
only late in the 4th and 5th when he was doing a bit of wall and stall did it ever drop in excitement

GSP did nothing but try to put kos away for 3 3/4 rounds
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2007
1277 posts
50 upvotes
glover78 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2010 5:01 pm
^ You honestly found that fight compelling from start to finish? Don't get me wrong I was for GSP 100%, but knowing his deep skill set and the hype surrounding this fight, him pretty much ONLY doing left jabs and kicks made the fight boring. It was cool during the first 2 rounds since he was just punishing Kos and just showing how superior he was to him, but later on it got boring given it was the same thing over and over again - it kind of felt like a video on loop. I'm pretty sure the energy at the Bell Centre dropped past the 2nd round, that's what happened at the bar I was at.

By "bar" do you mean watching alone in your basement? Because the bar I was at, people were revved up for all 5 rounds. Every punch and kick that connected people were "oohing" and "ahhing." And to all the doofuses saying that GSP is not a "finisher," please tell me how many times his last few opponents have been put away/stopped in a fight by anyone. Koscheck, Hardy, Penn, Fitch, Alves, etc. are all beasts and are RARELY stopped in a fight so it's not like GSP is going in there fighting spoon-fed tomato cans, he's fighting the top welterweights in the world on a consistent basis.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2006
1824 posts
28 upvotes
Markham
onehaehyuk wrote:
Dec 13th, 2010 7:04 pm
By "bar" do you mean watching alone in your basement? Because the bar I was at, people were revved up for all 5 rounds. Every punch and kick that connected people were "oohing" and "ahhing." And to all the doofuses saying that GSP is not a "finisher," please tell me how many times his last few opponents have been put away/stopped in a fight by anyone. Koscheck, Hardy, Penn, Fitch, Alves, etc. are all beasts and are RARELY stopped in a fight so it's not like GSP is going in there fighting spoon-fed tomato cans, he's fighting the top welterweights in the world on a consistent basis.

Agree with everything you said. I was at the real sports bar and I couldn't hear myself think when that fight came on. It's funny you said tomato cans cause thats exactly the term he used in a press conference. It's rare to see someone completely dominate at that level. People aren't giving credit to his opponents, they are tough mofos. He was saying people were giving him slack about the Hardy fight and how he couldn't finish but they are disrespecting the skill of Hardy. He did the perfect arm bar escape.
Banned
Dec 3, 2009
1291 posts
23 upvotes
glover78 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2010 5:01 pm
This isn't directly at you, but you raised the point. But, ever since MMA has gotten big, it seems like it is less about MMA and more about entertainment. I mean, please correct me if I am wrong, but MMA is (mixed) martial arts. I've never been to a martial arts competition, but I would imagine that it is about martial arts (technique, art, etc.) and not about 'putting on a show'.

More and more, I'm hearing UFC fighters (and now SF fighters) sound like broken records: "I put it all on the line", "for the fans", "put on a show", "stand and BANG", etc. And it seems like the fighters who don't stand and tried punches (ie. exchange punches to the face and see who falls down first) are getting ridiculed. I mean, it is (mixed) martial arts, right? The goal is to play by the rules, and win.

Ideally, wouldn't the best MMA fighter be one who takes very little damage and wins consistently? Is it about MMA, or is it just suped up version of WWE where they throw real punches instead of fake ones?
× < >