Sports & Recreation

The Official UFC & MMA thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 8:24 pm
Banned
Dec 3, 2009
1291 posts
23 upvotes
Viper98 wrote: I think sanchez has a much better chance of getting the WW belth than LW

he has looked superb at WW and he's definitely got the striking to KO GSP like Serra
I was under the impression that he dropped from ww to lw because he couldn't cut it. He even said he was a much better fighter at lw. Going back up to ww seems like a counter-productive move - according to sanchez that is.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3682 posts
19 upvotes
For Nate, he claimed it was that he does not get paid enough to make the cut to 155. Does he really have to cut all that much? IDK what he walks around at. I doubt Nate does any better at 170.

For a guy like Diego, he got his 155 shot and got dominated. Maybe he figures the cut is not worth it, and he will not earn another 155 shot even if he dominates for a while. Whereas at 170, if he were to win a few big fights he could get himself into contention.. IDK.

At 170, he probably figures he can hang. He hung around with Fitch and against Kos IIRC he had staph infection (can not recall if he had surgery right before or after the fight, if anyone remembers). Not making an excuse for Sanchez because I really am not a huge fan, but I think against Kos the staph did hold him back. That being said, I still think Kos is a better fighter and hope they have another fight.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
Sanchez will eventually fight Swick, and then he will have lost to all 3 AKA WW contenders lol
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Banned
Apr 9, 2008
345 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Not at all looking forward to the Couture vs Coleman card.. Both are old, washed up fighters and none of the other fights in the card intrigue me..

Going out with buddies for Superbowl but not this one.. I am waiting patiently for the A Silva vs Belfort and GSP vs Hardy events though.
Banned
Dec 3, 2009
1291 posts
23 upvotes
crimsonguardian wrote: not at all looking forward to the couture vs coleman card.. Both are old, washed up fighters and none of the other fights in the card intrigue me..

Going out with buddies for superbowl but not this one.. I am waiting patiently for the a silva vs belfort and gsp vs hardy events though.
+1.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1511 posts
31 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: Sanchez will eventually fight Swick, and then he will have lost to all 3 AKA WW contenders lol
I hope Paulo Thiago beats Swick, and eventually beats Fitch in some sort of rematch

the AKA KILLER!!! :D
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2002
2481 posts
14 upvotes
Just saw on MMA connected that Sportsnet will be carrying the Versus fight night in March.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2006
3909 posts
295 upvotes
Caledon
reminder that SpikeTV's prelims start at 9pm EST tonight

UFC 109: Relentless
MAIN CARD
•Mark Coleman vs. Randy Couture
•Nate Marquardt vs. Chael Sonnen
•Mike Swick vs. Paulo Thiago
•Demian Maia vs. Dan Miller
•Matt Serra vs. Frank Trigg

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)
•Justin Buchholz vs. Mac Danzig
•Melvin Guillard vs. Ronys Torres
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2007
1019 posts
4 upvotes
Anyone know a url for a free stream of UFC 109?
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1511 posts
31 upvotes
kcotoulas wrote: reminder that SpikeTV's prelims start at 9pm EST tonight

UFC 109: Relentless
MAIN CARD
•Mark Coleman vs. Randy Couture
•Nate Marquardt vs. Chael Sonnen
•Mike Swick vs. Paulo Thiago
•Demian Maia vs. Dan Miller
•Matt Serra vs. Frank Trigg

Couture
Marq
Thiago
Maia
Serra

10:03pm
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2007
2721 posts
705 upvotes
WTF IS WITH THESE COMMERCIALS? WHEN DID THEY START ADDING THIS ****!?!?!

why am i paying to watch this crap?
Apr 11, 2008
108 posts
1 upvote
lol,we might be hearing some talks of greg jackson being overrated in the near future
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2678 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
Wow, that certains screws up the MW division, though it may be a good thing in that it could be an opening for GSP-Silva. After Belfort-Silva, there's no more contenders, and Marquardt will need at least two if not three wins before his shot and GSP won't feel like he's impeding his teammate anymore.
dcue wrote: lol,we might be hearing some talks of greg jackson being overrated in the near future
Not much that Jackson can do when Marquardt strays from his gameplan.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2006
3909 posts
295 upvotes
Caledon
Very disappointing I was looking forward to Nate vs Anderson.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
3094 posts
7 upvotes
I lol at Tito Ortiz talking smack to Coleman with Coleman replying "**** you Tito"
Overall good fights especially the Sonnen vs Marcquardt and the Thiago vs Swick. I liked Thiago's D'arce hook.
Items For Sale:
BST Feedback: 17
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1511 posts
31 upvotes
calcuu wrote: I lol at Tito Ortiz talking smack to Coleman with Coleman replying "**** you Tito"
Overall good fights especially the Sonnen vs Marcquardt and the Thiago vs Swick. I liked Thiago's D'arce hook.
Thiago is 2-1 over team AKA.

So you have in the Welterweight division:

#1: GSP vs #2(up for debate)Hardy
#3: Fitch vs. #4 Alves
#5: Daley vs. #6 Koscheck
#7: Thiago Silva vs. #8 ________
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3682 posts
19 upvotes
Mintmaster wrote: Wow, that certains screws up the MW division, though it may be a good thing in that it could be an opening for GSP-Silva. After Belfort-Silva, there's no more contenders, and Marquardt will need at least two if not three wins before his shot and GSP won't feel like he's impeding his teammate anymore.
Not much that Jackson can do when Marquardt strays from his gameplan.
Assuming Sonnen is willing to wait, I guess they will have him fight winner of Belfort/Silva. This fight was hyped of being the next contenders match, but most were assuming that Nate would win to get that shot. Was it only a "contenders match" if Nate won but not for Chael?
calcuu wrote: I lol at Tito Ortiz talking smack to Coleman with Coleman replying "**** you Tito"
haha, yeah. I thought Coleman was talking to the ladies or looking at them as they were walking by. Then the smack talk came....

That being said, it appeared as Tito walked by and started s*** talking Coleman. A little disrespectful on Tito's part to chirp a guy after a loss when he is doing an interview. I understand that these guys have bad blood but leave it until after the interview. But that is Tito.

Thiago D'arce was sick. It did get submission of the night as reported by Dana at the press conference not Randy's. Good to hear, as Thiago's was obviously sub of the night.

Sonnen/Mardquart got Fight of the Night. Nasty looking cut, but he showed some heart.

From the Sherdog Play by Play and what they are saying in the media, Tim Hague got robbed. Split the first two rounds allegedly and then Hague dominated the 3rd.

Has anyone confirmed Sonnen is getting a shot at the title? Sherdog said he got 60K for FOTN along with a title shot. Just wondering if that is just speculation or if it was been said by Dana or anyone from the UFC that Sonnen is getting the shot?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
3094 posts
7 upvotes
phomp wrote: Assuming Sonnen is willing to wait, I guess they will have him fight winner of Belfort/Silva. This fight was hyped of being the next contenders match, but most were assuming that Nate would win to get that shot. Was it only a "contenders match" if Nate won but not for Chael?

haha, yeah. I thought Coleman was talking to the ladies or looking at them as they were walking by. Then the smack talk came....

That being said, it appeared as Tito walked by and started s*** talking Coleman. A little disrespectful on Tito's part to chirp a guy after a loss when he is doing an interview. I understand that these guys have bad blood but leave it until after the interview. But that is Tito.

Thiago D'arce was sick. It did get submission of the night as reported by Dana at the press conference not Randy's. Good to hear, as Thiago's was obviously sub of the night.

Sonnen/Mardquart got Fight of the Night. Nasty looking cut, but he showed some heart.

From the Sherdog Play by Play and what they are saying in the media, Tim Hague got robbed. Split the first two rounds allegedly and then Hague dominated the 3rd.

Has anyone confirmed Sonnen is getting a shot at the title? Sherdog said he got 60K for FOTN along with a title shot. Just wondering if that is just speculation or if it was been said by Dana or anyone from the UFC that Sonnen is getting the shot?
Hahaha I think Tito was just looking for an opportunity to finally beat someone and that someone is Coleman. Tito is scared of Liddel...

Good thing he got the submission of the night because at first they gave it to Randy and everyone mad. Thiago deserved it.

I'm pretty sure the winner of Silva vs Belfort would then have to defend their title against Sonnen. Wouldn't really matter because Sonnen would lose to either one IMO. Edit: Actually having second thoughts on that. Sonnen just looked awesome today with top ground n pound game. Some may say a bit of a boring match but Sonnen gets it done.
Items For Sale:
BST Feedback: 17

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)