The Official UFC & MMA thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 8:24 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
4036 posts
2976 upvotes
Calgary
Is it just me or does anyone else find One Championship more interesting (& better fights with less trash hype) than UFC. MMA in Asia are getting much better & I enjoy the mix of Muy Thai & Kick Boxing they throw in. & Their women fighters seemingly focus on BJJ skills more instead of just bam bam.

As in eg, while Mighty Mouse had it easy dominating in UFC, he ain't having it as easy over in OC. The Asian dudes are giving me a very run for the money which makes it all the more interesting & enjoyable.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8584 posts
5368 upvotes
Gibsons wrote: Jon Jones offered Stipe Miocic = crickets, Stipe has already said Yes.

Jones seeing Gane lay waste to the Heavyweight division = "I'll be taking my needle, crack pipe and pistol to retirement", is my prediction. He wants no part of that.

It's not like Derek Lewis wasn't exposed before but I'm not sure anyone gave him chance as he was clearly over matched and it showed. 98 significant strikes to only 16 for Lewis, it was hard to watch. I'm pretty sure Dana knew Gane has the skills to beat everyone and this is why the interim title was made. Have to grow the sport in French speaking countries.
On popular MMA forums, there was a decent amount of posters picking Lewis, which surprised me. If Lewis became champ it would be a bad look for modern MMA IMO. No disrespect, he's usually a very entertaining fighter but he's hardly the epitome of well rounded. Lewis was ranked #2 contender going into the fight, which again, isn't a good look for modern MMA that a guy with such a limited skillset is ranked so high
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2015
5277 posts
4937 upvotes
Southern Ontario
scotsum wrote: Is it just me or does anyone else find One Championship more interesting (& better fights with less trash hype) than UFC. MMA in Asia are getting much better & I enjoy the mix of Muy Thai & Kick Boxing they throw in. & Their women fighters seemingly focus on BJJ skills more instead of just bam bam.

As in eg, while Mighty Mouse had it easy dominating in UFC, he ain't having it as easy over in OC. The Asian dudes are giving me a very run for the money which makes it all the more interesting & enjoyable.
I like One Championship Female fights especially for similar reasons... they seem to fight like their life depends on it. Unfortunately, One has put on very few fights and mostly Male athletes. You have to realize that One and Bellator still have a humongous depth and talent problem compared to the UFC. There is an interview with Khabib in Russian where he talks about his fighters trying to get into the UFC and it's very difficult. They don't let in boring fighters and you have to be a certain level. Of course, UFC has had their soup cans they hyped up like crazy to make money, but overall the talent level in the UFC is top notch. Also there are guys who are 8" taller than Demetrious Johnson now at 135. Most guys are cutting weight even more efficiently.

It's reported that Poirier is 185-190 lbs then cuts down to 155. Everyone is doing the same thing or you end up showing up to the fight and the guy you are fighting is twice your size.

Mighty Mouse in his prime couldn't be touched and just like the most of the last generation of fighters are realizing that you have to keep evolving or you lose.
HP_John wrote: On popular MMA forums, there was a decent amount of posters picking Lewis, which surprised me. If Lewis became champ it would be a bad look for modern MMA IMO. No disrespect, he's usually a very entertaining fighter but he's hardly the epitome of well rounded. Lewis was ranked #2 contender going into the fight, which again, isn't a good look for modern MMA that a guy with such a limited skillset is ranked so high
Lewis basically gets outpointed every fight and manages to land his right hand to end them. Gane just made him look even worse. Lewis has gone as far as he will go in the sport. You can't start teaching footwork and have him stop eating at Popeye's, at 36 years old. His ballz was hot and he made his dough. He can retire now.

I think Gane beats Ngannou as well.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
4036 posts
2976 upvotes
Calgary
Gibsons wrote: I like One Championship Female fights especially for similar reasons... they seem to fight like their life depends on it. Unfortunately, One has put on very few fights and mostly Male athletes. You have to realize that One and Bellator still have a humongous depth and talent problem compared to the UFC.
Personally I would disagree about the dearth of talent. The only advantage for UFC is their massive headstart in the sport & as witnessed in the past few yrs or so, One has made huge strides both in their promotion & the evolution of their fighters. Pound for pound, I think One will give UFC a good run in the not so distant future.

Its thru One that I discovered serious Muy Thai fighers like Rodtang & Petchdam. Even the ladies like J Todd & A Rodrigues are very enjoyable to watch. And A Lee together with her sis V Lee are like monkeys on floor (in best way ofcos). I hardly ever see as much rolling around on the ground.

Personally, I'm a little tired of the UFC hype train & the amt of trash talk that always follows their stars. Lesser orgs like One just seem to focus on the fighers & their skills rather than all hype.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2015
5277 posts
4937 upvotes
Southern Ontario
scotsum wrote: Personally I would disagree about the dearth of talent. The only advantage for UFC is their massive headstart in the sport & as witnessed in the past few yrs or so, One has made huge strides both in their promotion & the evolution of their fighters. Pound for pound, I think One will give UFC a good run in the not so distant future.

Its thru One that I discovered serious Muy Thai fighers like Rodtang & Petchdam. Even the ladies like J Todd & A Rodrigues are very enjoyable to watch. And A Lee together with her sis V Lee are like monkeys on floor (in best way ofcos). I hardly ever see as much rolling around on the ground.

Personally, I'm a little tired of the UFC hype train & the amt of trash talk that always follows their stars. Lesser orgs like One just seem to focus on the fighers & their skills rather than all hype.
I like Muay Thai but you are comparing them to the UFC which is MMA. Apples and Oranges. Angela Lee comes to the UFC and she'd get destroyed by an unranked fighter. That's just reality... just like Askren getting destroyed when he came to the UFC... and by a no-name YouTube guy.

One league does it's own thing and doesn't really care about the others. Chandler was dominant in Bellator so Dana White signed him, but that's few and far between. Brandon Vera and Aung la Sang wouldn't make the roster in the UFC at this point.

That's just reality... Stamp Fairtex blew everyone away until they started pulling in more young talent, now she hasn't won a fight in her last few tries. If you mentioned Dagestan regional fighters I'd agree with you as their wrestling is so dominant, they'd just smother everyone in the UFC. Dana doesn't want 100% grappling matches so they'll never get signed.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2015
5277 posts
4937 upvotes
Southern Ontario
More shameful promotion for an untested fighter, in Paddy Pimblett, a guy who can 'talk' and has 'the look' but can he really fight? During his debut with the UFC, he got rocked and I thought he was going to get finished, but indeed - stayed upright and KO'd his opponent in the 1st round. He's supposed to be a submission artist and tried to show his "hands" but he's not at that high of a level with them. Pretty routine mistakes he was making, like over extending his strikes and leaving his chin up in the air (which is why he got rocked).

I guess the Hype Train did deliver but why him - sh!t talking McGregor formula?

Even Shawn O'Malley has stated that he doesn't want to fight ranked fighters as 'he gets paid the same amount of money anyway, plus it's easier to get the $50K finish bonus'. Lots of politics involved in the UFC, it seems. Style your hair a certain way and you get paid.

Look at Darren Till, had tons of hype then got up to the upper echelon of fighters - lost 4 out of his last 5. When does the point come where he figures out he can't beat the top fighters and just becomes a Top 15 guy or gets cut and picked up by Bellator?

Not much mention of Tom Aspinall, who is actually very good. Super fast hands for a huge heavyweight and supposedly has great BJJ (but I haven't seen it yet).

Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2015
5277 posts
4937 upvotes
Southern Ontario
It's probably his skin tight suit and swelled head.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16011 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
Alexander Volkanovski vs. Brian Ortega was a hell of a fight. Man Ortega is taking years off his life with these beatings.
Last edited by radeonboy on Sep 26th, 2021 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 2, 2018
152 posts
173 upvotes
Vancouver
Respect to Alex for getting out of a few big submissions of Ortega's. What a fight. Fight of the year candidate.
Last edited by renderman on Sep 26th, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16011 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
renderman wrote: Respect to Alex for getting out out a few big submissions of Ortega's. What a fight. Fight of the year candidate.
Alexander Volkanovski has God level submission defense. Ortega really looked like he got that choke in so deep. Both submissions others would tap out or get slept, ala Conor McGregor, which I have no idea why he's making fun of Alexander Volkanovski, whom he would get finished by.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2015
5277 posts
4937 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Volkanovski vs Ortega was a fantastic fight... also Moraes vs Dvavishvili on the Prelims, was nuts.

Sad to see Nick Diaz look out of shape and slow... Robbie beat the britches off of him. Lawler is always in shape and ready to fight. Someone in Diaz' camp said that "the fight was rushed and Diaz wasn't ready to fight". I hope he doesn't fight again because he looked pretty bad. Father time isn't very forgiving to burnouts like him, eating super clean and having 30 joints a day seems to be counterproductive to me. Diaz was gassed in the 2nd round, meanwhile his cardio was one of his strengths when he last fought.

That was my take, very good card. UFC always puts on exciting events... One Championship and Bellator seem to put me to sleep most of the time.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18179 posts
14175 upvotes
Toronto
Other than the main event I thought it was a pretty poor PPV overall.

The Volk fight was epic

Good riddance Nick Diaz

Even Shevchenko’s fight was pretty poor. Her opponent was just trying to survive
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5960 posts
1591 upvotes
Toronto
radeonboy wrote: Alexander Volkanovski has God level submission defense. Ortega really looked like he got that choke in so deep. Both submissions others would tap out or get slept, ala Conor McGregor, which I have no idea why he's making fun of Alexander Volkanovski, whom he would get finished by.
I was dumbfounded as to how Volko got out of both those tight submissions... just how..

Incredible fight and yes as another poster stated this is a FOTY candidate
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16011 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
So how chances is Jon Jones going to get before the UFC cuts the POS? The menace needs to be cut and sent to jail.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/9/28/2 ... nd-clothes
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2015
5277 posts
4937 upvotes
Southern Ontario
radeonboy wrote: So how chances is Jon Jones going to get before the UFC cuts the POS? The menace needs to be cut and sent to jail.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/9/28/2 ... nd-clothes
Mike Tyson came back from a Rape conviction and jail time to acting and a successful podcast... don't know if it's a right of passage to certain groups rather than a hindrance. Dana White doesn't seem to be phased about it, he'll sell more PPV with some controversy. Dana eludes to the "stuff you haven't heard about, daily" when talking about the fight business.

If you haven't seen Dana's rant on Dela Hoya, it's pretty epic. I think he talks about Jones in the clip as well.

Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2015
5277 posts
4937 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Just watched a boring Bellator event... including a Main Event where they barely engaged, Dana must have stolen all of the young talent as the other orgs are basically putting out garbage.

Pretty sad.

I wonder where this new organization is going to come from, with 50/50 profit sharing (according to Ariel Helwani) and Benefits/Retirement/Medical, etc - when Dana basically controls everything with his P.I's around the world and Contender Series/Ultimate Fighter? It's like the UFC is like Canada with Hockey, controlling the developmental leagues (Minor hockey) to go to Junior, then the Pro's. It's too bad all the other groups don't know what they are doing.

Bellator and One used to put on some good fights, it seems their excitement level is similar to watching Soccer at the present. Even the UFC prelims are fun to watch...

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)