The Official UFC & MMA thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 8:24 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3634 posts
65 upvotes

The Official UFC & MMA thread

Last edited by ElChico on Sep 21st, 2006 8:06 pm, edited 23 times in total.
18587 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5602 posts
3999 upvotes
GTA
Only 2 good fights on the card? Sad...
Penn should start working out, cant believe he's the same weight as hughes.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3634 posts
65 upvotes
shabby wrote:Only 2 good fights on the card? Sad...
Penn should start working out, cant believe he's the same weight as hughes.
Penn is actually a Lightweight fighting up a class to Welterweight, so he actually fights heavy for his body side and thus looks a little "doughy". After he loses I wouldn't be surprised if he goes back to lightweight to get the title.

Those are just the top fights...here is the complete card

-Matt Hughes (c) vs. B.J. Penn (UFC WW Title)
-Mike Swick vs. David Loiseau
-Jens Pulver vs. Joe Lauzon
-Rashad Evans vs. Jason Lambert
-Gabe Ruediger vs. Melvin Guillard
-Jorge Gurgel vs. Danny Abaddi
-Tyson Griffin vs. David Lee
-Roger Huerta vs. Jason Reinhardt
-Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Mario Neto
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2006
1320 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
the cards not bad.

I'm looking for Penn to win.

David > Swick

Rashad> Joe but I want Rashad to loss.

Danny "I am the Ultimate Fighter" Abbadi Vs. Jorge Gurgel i actually really want to see this fight.

hope Jorge doesn't keep giving high fives to his opponent like his last fight.
bahamut_xx
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3634 posts
65 upvotes
Update... Ortiz vs Liddell 2 is on for UFC 66 in December

UFC 63 weigh ins.

Matt Hughes
Aug 28, 2003
739 posts
127 upvotes
A lot of people are picking Penn to upset Hughes (including Stephen Quadros (The Fight Professor)). Anyone that counts Penn out is ridiculous and where the betting lines are currently there is probably good value in him. Penn's standup is obviously much better than Hughes' and in the past Hughes' closest matches have been against good BJJ guys.

But with that said my money is on Hughes, I bought in when he was still -150 he's currently around -240. Penn is currently at or around +180. And I wouldn't be surprised if Penn wins, I expect Hughes will pull it out if he can get him down and up against the cage. Hughes will have serious problems if it stays standing imo.

Swick vs The Crow is a close match and will probably go to whoever land the first solid shot. A big deal is made over the Crows elbows but they probably won't be a factor in this match because if Crow is in a position to throw them Swick is already done for. I didn't bet this one but if I had to I'd bet Swick I think, but this is probably the closest match on the cards to score. They're both at about -115.

Pulver will win unless he dies on the way to the ring, Rashad will probably win but really who cares.

My 2 cents,
T
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2006
2845 posts
293 upvotes
Twitch1977 wrote:A lot of people are picking Penn to upset Hughes (including Stephen Quadros (The Fight Professor)). Anyone that counts Penn out is ridiculous and where the betting lines are currently there is probably good value in him. Penn's standup is obviously much better than Hughes' and in the past Hughes' closest matches have been against good BJJ guys.

But with that said my money is on Hughes, I bought in when he was still -150 he's currently around -240. Penn is currently at or around +180. And I wouldn't be surprised if Penn wins, I expect Hughes will pull it out if he can get him down and up against the cage. Hughes will have serious problems if it stays standing imo.

Swick vs The Crow is a close match and will probably go to whoever land the first solid shot. A big deal is made over the Crows elbows but they probably won't be a factor in this match because if Crow is in a position to throw them Swick is already done for. I didn't bet this one but if I had to I'd bet Swick I think, but this is probably the closest match on the cards to score. They're both at about -115.

Pulver will win unless he dies on the way to the ring, Rashad will probably win but really who cares.

My 2 cents,
T
Yes, but Matt Hughes never fights on his feet. It takes great takedown defense to keep a fight standing against Matt Hughes.. and Penn doesn't come close to having that such takedown defense. Penn is a good ground fighter still, though not the dominant wrestler that Hughes is.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2005
1306 posts
33 upvotes
Twitch1977 wrote:Ignore what I said about Pulver :P

Haha, Pulver got lit up in 48 seconds :)
Aug 28, 2003
739 posts
127 upvotes
Yah, i know a lot of sportsbetters that used Pulvers 'sure win' to top off their accounts.
Aug 28, 2003
739 posts
127 upvotes
Man that was a great fight for the title. :) BJ came awfully close.

T
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3634 posts
65 upvotes
The Penn vs Hughes was a great fight, Too bad BJ gassed huge in the 3rd round. In the pool, the Pulver loss was the only pick i got wrong > :(

Here's the results courtesy of MMA Weekly

-Tyson Griffin def. David Lee by submission (rear naked choke) at 1:50 of Round 1

-Jorge Gurgel def. Danny Abbadi by split decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-29)

-Eddie Sanchez def. Mario Neto by KO at 0:17 of Round 2

-Roger Huerta def. Jason Dent by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

-Joe Lauzon def. Jens Pulver by TKO (strikes) at 0:48 of Round 1

-Rashad Evans def. Jason Lambert by TKO (strikes) at 2:22 of Round 2

-Melvin Guillard def. Gabe Ruediger by TKO (strikes) at 1:01 of Round 2

-Mike Swick def. David Loiseau by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)

-Matt Hughes def. BJ Penn by TKO (strikes) at 3:53 of Round 3
Deal Addict
May 26, 2002
1908 posts
491 upvotes
Pretty good UFC compared to the last few that have been quite frankly terrible. At least the Hughs/Penn fight was entertaining unlike the last few "main events". Compared to the last Pride FC though, UFC still looks like amateur hour.

-LeeBear
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2003
2088 posts
20 upvotes
LeeBear wrote:Pretty good UFC compared to the last few that have been quite frankly terrible. At least the Hughs/Penn fight was entertaining unlike the last few "main events". Compared to the last Pride FC though, UFC still looks like amateur hour.

-LeeBear
Wait till next month, that Pride PPV is shaping up to be even better then the last one. I can't believe how stacked the card is and its only half the card so far. Pride really needs to make an impact for their US debut and I'm glad they are trying hard to make a good impression. My only concern is that I hope the crowd isn't filled with pathetic UFC bandwagon fans who are uneducated on MMA and boo everytime the fight goes to the ground.

Fedor vs Coleman
Shogun vs Randleman
Barnett vs Nastula
Butterbean vs Mark Hunt (standup slugfest)
Dan Henderson vs Vitor Belfort

Plus Fujita, Nakamura, Cro-Cop, Baroni, etc.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3634 posts
65 upvotes
dell wrote:Wait till next month, that Pride PPV is shaping up to be even better then the last one. I can't believe how stacked the card is and its only half the card so far. Pride really needs to make an impact for their US debut and I'm glad they are trying hard to make a good impression. My only concern is that I hope the crowd isn't filled with pathetic UFC bandwagon fans who are uneducated on MMA and boo everytime the fight goes to the ground.

Fedor vs Coleman
Shogun vs Randleman
Barnett vs Nastula
Butterbean vs Mark Hunt (standup slugfest)
Dan Henderson vs Vitor Belfort

Plus Fujita, Nakamura, Cro-Cop, Baroni, etc.
Better then the OWGP? no way, this card sucks, It's a bunch of mismatched fights that have been seen before...Fedor vs Coleman??? come on, the result will be the exact same as the first fight. The only interesting fight on the card is Henderson vs Belfort.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2003
1249 posts
357 upvotes
Toronto
ElChico wrote:I think it's time for an thread for all things MMA. A place for discussion and posting of results and all that good stuff.

I'll update the title at time goes on.
Why bother? Just create a new thread for each new card. I don't know about everyone else, but I hate having to go through a 50 page thread that's 2 years old just because the first page keeps getting updated...

Just create a new thread for every new card...no need for anything "official".
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3634 posts
65 upvotes
Praetorian wrote:Why bother? Just create a new thread for each new card. I don't know about everyone else, but I hate having to go through a 50 page thread that's 2 years old just because the first page keeps getting updated...

Just create a new thread for every new card...no need for anything "official".
1. For UFC 62 there were 3 or 4 threads going on with people saying the same thing over and over (Liddell vs Silva), this will keep it more organized.

2. Every other sports thread or TV show has one.

3. You can skip straight to the last page, you don't have to go through every page.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5602 posts
3999 upvotes
GTA
Damn penn was so close, too bad he ran out of breath.
Must be just me, but it looked like hughes cant box for ****... no? His stand up game looked pretty weak to me.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2003
2088 posts
20 upvotes
daredevils wrote:does anyone know how i can get into the UFC Scene???...
You should probably move to Quebec to increase your chances since the Ontario scene is scarce.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)