The Official UFC & MMA thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 8:24 pm
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
qeqw443 wrote: okami , like any other top MW , would make GSP look like a complete can
they will either knock him out cold (anderson , henderson , nate , vitor , mousasi) or just submit him (demian , rusimar)

i don't give a flying **** about favs\dogs , i just root and cheer for the fighters i like to watch and respect
sometimes they are the dogs , sometimes they are the favs , couldn't care less

top 5 p4p -

1. machida \ fedor
2. fedor \ machida
3. anderson
4. mousasi
5. henderson

no 1. & 2. - doesn't need any explanation whatsoever , those two are the true definition of what p4p is all about

no 3. - i don't like him at all , but he is definitely the real deal as far as p4p goes

no 4. - extremely talented and well rounded , easily the best prospect in all of mma , he is a huge threat at both mw and lhw , soon all the mma world will be on his nuts

no 5. - a true badass , the only old school veteran left who is still (relatively) consistent , fought in 3 different weight classes and held is own very well in all of them , against elite competition
Hendo in top P4P?
he lost 2 of his last 4 fights at 2 different weight classes
most people would argue that he lost the fight against Franklin too

Mousasi is top 10... if he beats Bablu I'd say he's top 5 but not right now

I have the top 5 like this

1. Fedor
2. GSP
3. Miguel Torres
4. Anderson
5. Machida
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
shannn wrote: So, UFC 104 will feature Lyoto Machida vs. Shogun Rua on October 24
Wonder if Shogun will last longer than Rashad
i really dont think that shogun deserves a title shot.. his last 2 fights in the ufc were against washed up fighters, and he did not impress in either of them (he looked better against chuck, but he still wasnt impressive by any means...the ufc is trying to hard to make him relevant again, but after machida destroys him, i hope we dont hear from him again

and fedor is a beast, but he isnt fighting the top competition anymore so i cant consider him on any p4p list until he fights a real heavyweight (josh barnett)
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
Red_Army wrote: i really dont think that shogun deserves a title shot.. his last 2 fights in the ufc were against washed up fighters, and he did not impress in either of them (he looked better against chuck, but he still wasnt impressive by any means...the ufc is trying to hard to make him relevant again, but after machida destroys him, i hope we dont hear from him again

and fedor is a beast, but he isnt fighting the top competition anymore so i cant consider him on any p4p list until he fights a real heavyweight (josh barnett)
who would you give teh shot to? Rampage is supposed to get it but he doesn't want to fight machida

also Shogun won FOTN for his fight with Coleman
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2004
1335 posts
25 upvotes
trisle604 wrote: where is our canadian hero you ass hole! mousasi is in the works of becoming a top p4p , but its too early .his comp has been limited regardless of him jumping to from mw -lhw - hw (we got another bj penn freak going on here)

just ignore that troll- he talked SO much smack before Coutour Lesnar and then whined and made excuses after Lesnar pulled out a W.

Pretty much the typical blowhard you see at the bars drunk off his ass calling fighters Pu$$ies w NO fight experience of his own.
Why is nobody on RFD accountable for their actions???
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2002
2481 posts
14 upvotes
Forrest's book "Got Fight" is funny as hell. pick it up!
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2678 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
Red_Army wrote: and fedor is a beast, but he isnt fighting the top competition anymore so i cant consider him on any p4p list until he fights a real heavyweight (josh barnett)
Arlovski was a top fighter when Fedor fought him, and his chin wasn't a problem for a while, just like Wladimir Klitschko's chin was exposed vs. Sanders and Brewster, but he's been unbeatable since. Sylvia was on his way to becoming UFC HW champ again if he didn't get caught in the choke. Well, at least you think Barnett is a real HW, because many people downplaying Fedor's opponents don't.

While on this topic, did you hear how Dana White said he'd sign Barnett
IF he beat Fedor? Is anyone going to think any less of Barnett after he (probably) loses to Fedor? Of course not. But if Barnett loses and then becomes UFC champ, then Dana's going to have to eat his words. EDIT: Oh yeah, and remember how he was drooling all over Overeem and talking about signing him? If he loses to Rogers, I bet he won't be in the UFC for several more years if at all.

The UFC only brings in fighters if they've been undefeated for a while and are at the top of their game. They don't let anyone else do the same to them because fighters can't leave the UFC if they have the belt. They won't sign Fedor to fight Lesnar without holding onto him, nor will they let Lesnar leave to fight Fedor. It's these chickensh1t tactics that make them lose all credibility.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2678 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
Gloaming wrote: Pretty much the typical blowhard you see at the bars drunk off his ass calling fighters Pu$$ies w NO fight experience of his own.
Sounds more like a kid to me. I think a lot of people here don't have fight experience, but at least we have some respect for the fighters.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
fedor needs to fight people in the prime of their career....sylvia and arlovski are long past theirs
thats just my opinion..i just want to see him fight all the top contenders, not the ones near the bottom of most people top 10 lists
Mintmaster wrote: Arlovski was a top fighter when Fedor fought him, and his chin wasn't a problem for a while, just like Wladimir Klitschko's chin was exposed vs. Sanders and Brewster, but he's been unbeatable since. Sylvia was on his way to becoming UFC HW champ again if he didn't get caught in the choke. Well, at least you think Barnett is a real HW, because many people downplaying Fedor's opponents don't.

While on this topic, did you hear how Dana White said he'd sign Barnett
IF he beat Fedor? Is anyone going to think any less of Barnett after he (probably) loses to Fedor? Of course not. But if Barnett loses and then becomes UFC champ, then Dana's going to have to eat his words.

The UFC only brings in fighters if they've been undefeated for a while and are at the top of their game. They don't let anyone else do the same to them because fighters can't leave the UFC if they have the belt. They won't sign Fedor to fight Lesnar without holding onto him, nor will they let Lesnar leave to fight Fedor. It's these chickensh1t tactics that make them lose all credibility.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3682 posts
19 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: fedor needs to fight people in the prime of their career....sylvia and arlovski are long past theirs
thats just my opinion..i just want to see him fight all the top contenders, not the ones near the bottom of most people top 10 lists
Cant say I disagree, when Fedor faught both Arlovski and Sylvia they were on the top 10 HW list but not near the top. After Fedor, they both had fights after in which they dropped off.

Barnett should be a good test, I would love to see him in the UFC as well as Fedor... who wouldn't though. If Fedor beats Barnett I would like to see him fight some of the higher ranked top 10's in MMA currently to keep him at the very top of that p4p list but thats my opinion.

Either way, Fedor will be remembered as the best MMA fighter of this time. He went virtually undefeated in a sport where 1 mistake can cost the fight and most often does. Fedor faught top flight competition in the prime of their careers and never was fairly defeated in MMA to this date.

P4P currently I would say Anderson Silva because he is fighting top level competition over and over and if he beats Forrest only strengthens the argument.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2678 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
Red_Army wrote: fedor needs to fight people in the prime of their career....sylvia and arlovski are long past theirs
phomp wrote: Cant say I disagree, when Fedor faught both Arlovski and Sylvia they were on the top 10 HW list but not near the top. After Fedor, they both had fights after in which they dropped off.
I really do think that their loss to Fedor is what started their decline. Sylvia was always so confident, calling Fedor a "tiny little sh**", dominating Nog before getting caught, never getting close to knocked out and thinking he can take on anyone. Fedor then hits him harder than ever before, and all that comes crashing down. He inexplicably gains 50lbs for the Mercer fight and looks like crap. When was Arlovski at the peak of his career? In 2005? He caught Sylvia once, but lost twice to him shortly after that, so that''s not much of a peak. I think going into the Fedor fight with new boxing skills from Roach and a decent win streak was just as much of a peak. But after getting knocked out more viciously than ever before, AA was scared of Rogers' attack, backing away instead of ducking and either circling around or countering.
phomp wrote: Barnett should be a good test, I would love to see him in the UFC as well as Fedor... who wouldn't though. If Fedor beats Barnett I would like to see him fight some of the higher ranked top 10's in MMA currently to keep him at the very top of that p4p list but thats my opinion.
Yeah, but there's no-one left outside the UFC except maybe Rogers/Overeem (and the winner fighting Fedor actually has a chance of happening). We all want Fedor in the UFC, but he's one of the few good fighters left that has a big enough name that he doesn't have to put up with their exclusivity crap.

EDIT: People, put youself in his shoes. You love Sambo and want to keep fighting there. You're making plenty of money with M1. You know that thus far you're far and away the greatest HW fighter ever. Why in Gods name would you give up Sambo, give up the ability to have any control of where and who you fight, and put your blood and sweat into fighting for a promotion where your reputation will give them a sold out arena and 1M PPV buys each fight so that they can keep 90% of the gross profits, give you <5%, and sprinkle a little more amongst your fellow fighters?

The UFC is basically saying, "Yeah, if you want to give us the rights to your livelihood, feel free to come over and make us a bundle of money." F*** the UFC. I can't believe how many people blame Fedor for not giving up.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
because if he was a true competitor then he would want to fight the best competition in the world..no matter where it is

hes still going to make a shitload of money, plus a cut of ppv buys, probably more than hes making now
Mintmaster wrote: I really do think that their loss to Fedor is what started their decline. Sylvia was always so confident, calling Fedor a "tiny little sh**", dominating Nog before getting caught, never getting close to knocked out and thinking he can take on anyone. Fedor then hits him harder than ever before, and all that comes crashing down. He inexplicably gains 50lbs for the Mercer fight and looks like crap. When was Arlovski at the peak of his career? In 2005? He caught Sylvia once, but lost twice to him shortly after that, so that''s not much of a peak. I think going into the Fedor fight with new boxing skills from Roach and a decent win streak was just as much of a peak. But after getting knocked out more viciously than ever before, AA was scared of Rogers' attack, backing away instead of ducking and either circling around or countering.
Yeah, but there's no-one left outside the UFC except maybe Rogers/Overeem (and the winner fighting Fedor actually has a chance of happening). We all want Fedor in the UFC, but he's one of the few good fighters left that has a big enough name that he doesn't have to put up with their exclusivity crap.

EDIT: People, put youself in his shoes. You love Sambo and want to keep fighting there. You're making plenty of money with M1. You know that thus far you're far and away the greatest HW fighter ever. Why in Gods name would you give up Sambo, give up the ability to have any control of where and who you fight, and put your blood and sweat into fighting for a promotion where your reputation will give them a sold out arena and 1M PPV buys each fight so that they can keep 90% of the gross profits, give you <5%, and sprinkle a little more amongst your fellow fighters?

The UFC is basically saying, "Yeah, if you want to give us the rights to your livelihood, feel free to come over and make us a bundle of money." F*** the UFC. I can't believe how many people blame Fedor for not giving up.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Red_Army wrote: because if he was a true competitor then he would want to fight the best competition in the world..no matter where it is

hes still going to make a shitload of money, plus a cut of ppv buys, probably more than hes making now
but he's not allowed to fight Sambo which is does all the time. I think if it weren't for the Sambo he'd be in the UFC.
Jan 4, 2006
503 posts
3 upvotes
North of Toronto
Mintmaster wrote:

I agree. I think the same applies to Crocop. These guys are big names outside the UFC and in other countries and have no reason to get tied into the deals UFC offers. I have no idea why people care so much if they are stuck in the UFC or not. There is life outside the UFC. It's not that they don't want to fight there, they just don't want to get tied into those exclusivity contracts, which is perfectly reasonable.

Another factor in some cases is that they want to FIGHT. In Cropcop's case, he would be able to fight 3 fights in Dream before the UFC was even going to put him on a card. They weren't planning to use him till either October or December. He wanted the 3 fight deal with Dream.

I'd like to see these fighters fight UFC fights, but I definitely can't blame them for not accepting the terms of the contracts. These fighters are lucky because they are big enough names to not have to do that.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2678 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
Red_Army wrote: because if he was a true competitor then he would want to fight the best competition in the world..no matter where it is
A true competitor does not give away legal control of his ability to compete to some suits.

Right now the UFC sort of has the best HW MMA fighters, but Fedor couldn't fight the best Sambo fighters. If DREAM found another hulk that got on a roll or if one of the existing HW went on a win streak (eg. CroCop) Fedor couldn't fight them. If he has the belt at the end of his contract, he can't fight elsewhere for yet another year. If EA wanted Fedor to be in their MMA game, he couldn't do it. The list goes on...

If the UFC had the best HW, it wouldn't be scared to arrange a fight like any other boxing match. But they are and would rather not have Fedor in the UFC at all than have him for only a few fights. It is 100% the UFC's fault for not having Fedor. Their demands are unheard of in the entire world of professional sports.
He had a big signing bonus with M1, so don't rely on salaries alone. And who knows if they even give a cut of PPV anymore in new contracts.
Jan 4, 2006
503 posts
3 upvotes
North of Toronto
Mintmaster wrote: He had a big signing bonus with M1, so don't rely on salaries alone. And who knows if they even give a cut of PPV anymore in new contracts.
He also would have made a killing in those Affliction events. Which he could do because he's not tied to a UFC contract. It's not a case of the fighters 'ducking' UFC or something. If the contracts were more realistic they would take them. They are international 'stars' though and don't need to sign a contract they don't want to. I am quite sure Fedor would take any fight though. It's just a contact issue.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
i agree some of the UFC contract restrictions are pretty strict, and i do believe that more of the bargaining power should be given to the fighters, but i dont think its unreasonable for them to prevent a fighter from competing in other areas of combat....its a wise business decision to protect their investment...as with almost all other pro sports
Mintmaster wrote: A true competitor does not give away legal control of his ability to compete to some suits.

Right now the UFC sort of has the best HW MMA fighters, but Fedor couldn't fight the best Sambo fighters. If DREAM found another hulk that got on a roll or if one of the existing HW went on a win streak (eg. CroCop) Fedor couldn't fight them. If he has the belt at the end of his contract, he can't fight elsewhere for yet another year. If EA wanted Fedor to be in their MMA game, he couldn't do it. The list goes on...

If the UFC had the best HW, it wouldn't be scared to arrange a fight like any other boxing match. But they are and would rather not have Fedor in the UFC at all than have him for only a few fights. It is 100% the UFC's fault for not having Fedor. Their demands are unheard of in the entire world of professional sports.
He had a big signing bonus with M1, so don't rely on salaries alone. And who knows if they even give a cut of PPV anymore in new contracts.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2678 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
Red_Army wrote: its a wise business decision to protect their investment...as with almost all other pro sports
In other sports you generally have guaranteed salaries. The UFC can pretty much cut a fighter whenever they want, and a fighter doesn't get paid if he gets in an injury and can't fight. There is no risk to the UFC at all.

It's a complete joke and I can't believe the labour laws down there even allow this crap. Fighters don't have knowledge of company secrets or IP. How can the UFC be allowed to prevent them from walking away and working for someone else? The title clause is even dumber.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
Mintmaster wrote: In other sports you generally have guaranteed salaries. The UFC can pretty much cut a fighter whenever they want, and a fighter doesn't get paid if he gets in an injury and can't fight. There is no risk to the UFC at all.

It's a complete joke and I can't believe the labour laws down there even allow this crap. Fighters don't have knowledge of company secrets or IP. How can the UFC be allowed to prevent them from walking away and working for someone else? The title clause is even dumber.
its hard for me because i see both sides of the point, the ufc is run just like any other business out there
grind their employees to the bone, then lay them off when they want

bottom line is if they dont like the company then they shouldnt sign with them
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
MY UFC 100 predictions

Mir over Lesnar
GSP over Alves
Thiago over Fitch
Bisping over hendo
Akiyami over Belcher
Bonnar over Coleman
Jones over O'brien
Kim over Grant
Lawlor over Dollaway
Gugerty over Grice
Danzig over Miller
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2678 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
Red_Army wrote: MY UFC 100 predictions

Mir over Lesnar
GSP over Alves
Thiago over Fitch
Bisping over hendo
You're calling for some pretty big upsets there. If you were a betting man, you'd make money even if you only got one of the three correct.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)