Sports & Recreation

The Official UFC & MMA thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 8:24 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2006
2845 posts
293 upvotes
Mintmaster wrote: You mean the ref called it too early? Are you freakin' nuts? He got hit by a hard kick, 9 undefended punches, then 3 undefended elbows! You want him to lose consciousness or get brain damage?

Some people were saying he called it too late, but BJM gave him a few extra seconds because, well, it's Matt Hughes. After watching it in slo-mo, it really looked like BJM took his time to call it. The guy's legs were completely limp after the kick, and he could barely flail his arms around.

Regarding your first 2 points, there's some good post fight interviews on YouTube (over half an hour). Hughes said the first kick didn't affect him at all, the second missed his nuts and probably hit a nerve or something, and these calls probably affected GSP more than the kicks affected himself.

I definately have to commend Hughes for being so honest there and wiping out all possibility of controversy. Even made himself look a little silly by saying he didn't know it was a kick that hit him at the end. He doesn't seem like the prick a lot of GSP fans make him out to be (though his Canada comments irked me just a tad, even if it was merely promotional trash talk).
I agree - Matt Hughes had plenty of time to defend himself but was unable to recover.

As for the post-fight interviews, Hughes did say those things. It may have been wholly truth, or it may have been good sportsmanship (ie. Hughes said all the right things but maybe the low blows took some out of him). I also found GSP's comments to be quite amusing... probably the French accent and the funny, studdering noises helped with that :D The "Awwww... DAMNNNNN!!" part was great!
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3682 posts
19 upvotes
mightyscoop1 wrote: I'm no Sylvia fan, but I was impressed that he was able to stop takedowns and sub attempts by a world class submission wrestler. And before the match, Monson was ranked a top 10 HW in the world.
As far as Fedor being able to destroy Sylvia in no time, of course he can. Fedor is the best in the world, so it's not like a fighter "sucks" because he can't beat Fedor. That's a dumb way to criticize a fighter.

Forgot to say, how is (was) monson a top 10 ranked HW in the world. He has lost to any one real good hes faught.
Hes lost to Forrest Griffin, He has lost to Chuck Lidell.

Lets see who he has beaten at HW
Anthony Perosh- who is 5-2, not beaten anyone very good and was his only fight in the ufc.
Marcio Cruz- 2-1, he beat Frank Mir, but ever since that accident Frank Mir has not been himself at all. Only winning 1 out of his last 3 fights.
Branden Lee Hinkle - 12-8 this guy lost to Jason Lambert at Fight night and hasnt beaten anyone to great
Marc Emmanuel- 3-4
Devin Cole- 6-3, no strong opponents
Jay White- 1-5, speaks for itself
Rich Wilson- 0-1, again speaks for itself
Tengiz Tedoradze- 19-7, again has not faught any real strong opponents

Most of these fighters are not even in the ufc or pride any more. Where you get top 10 HW is beyond me. Hes a great grappler and submission artist but not a top 10 HW in the world in mma.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3682 posts
19 upvotes
ok, honestly the kick to the groin did not cause Hughes to lose. GSP was just plain better. Matt Hughes is known to over act these things as we have seen in the past. If a rematch happend I believe it would go pretty much the same way or if matt took gsp down, gsp would take him on the ground to.

where do you get your fact of BJ Penn going down to 155.
[QUOTE]Tuesday, 14th November 2006 at 8:52PM
BJ Penn's Commitment to the UFC and Regaining His Title
Posted by BJPenn.com Staff Writer
With all that recent press about my brother, JD, and his recent business decision, I want all my fans to know that I am committed to the ufc and to carrying out my dream of regaining the title of UFC Welterweight Champion of the World.

See you all at the UFC.

BJ Penn [/QUOTE]
http://www.bjpenn.com

I really thought BJ Penn would beat Hughes and was really giving Hughes a clinic until he fractured his rib. Once again Matt Hughes nut huggers would say that, it is an excuse and that he gassed.
[QUOTE]As the fans all watched BJ enter the cage for round three against Matt Hughes, it was obvious that something happened to BJ. His hands were down, his punches were off and his dominance of Matt simply wasn't there as it was in rounds 1 and 2. Most people thought and speculated that BJ gassed or wasn't physically prepared (as Matt Hughes alleged). As we previously explained, those thoughts simply are not true.

While in Las Vegas for UFC 64, BJ met with the UFC's orthopedic surgeon and sports medicine doctor in Las Vegas for a physical exam and diagnostic MRI study of his ribs and oblique muscles on his right side. The report verified and substantiated exactly what happened to BJ at the end of second round when he thrusted up and around to gain Matt's back. During this upward and twisting movement, BJ pulled/tore internal muscles located inside and around the bottom right rib and fractured the rib. As explained, this type of trauma can and will cause a constriction of his right lung, leading to a substantially diminished breathing capacity.

While BJ congratulates Matt on his victory, he looks forward to the rematch to continue forward with his dominance; as the fans have seen in his victory over Matt at UFC 46 and the first two rounds of UFC 63.

To all of BJ's fans, we appreciate your support and continued interest. BJ will rest and return with a vengeance.

Thank you.
[/QUOTE]
http://www.bjpenn.com

with a copy of the report.
http://www.bjpenn.com/images/other/BJ%20Report.pdf
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3634 posts
65 upvotes
So it looks like Fedor has signed with Bodog, and will headline the next show against Jeff Monson. Is anybody going to pick Monson in that fight?
Nov 4, 2002
890 posts
91 upvotes
Burnaby
ElChico wrote: So it looks like Fedor has signed with Bodog, and will headline the next show against Jeff Monson. Is anybody going to pick Monson in that fight?
When and where will that show be?

I'm going to tonights bodog in Vancouver (working for a club promotions company finally pays off, free floor seats)
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3634 posts
65 upvotes
Flux wrote: When and where will that show be?

I'm going to tonights bodog in Vancouver (working for a club promotions company finally pays off, free floor seats)
The next one is in Russia, St. Petersburg to complete the whole USA vs Russia thing.

Be sure to post about the show on here. I think this upstart promotion might have a chance with the money that's behind it.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2003
2088 posts
20 upvotes
I'm reading in the Sherdog forum that Bif Naked is one of the commentators for Bodog? Is this a joke?
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3634 posts
65 upvotes
dell wrote: I'm reading in the Sherdog forum that Bif Naked is one of the commentators for Bodog? Is this a joke?
Yes, she was a host on the TV show, and I think her record label is Bodog music.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2003
2088 posts
20 upvotes
Damn Antonio Silva lost but I read that it was a BS ref stoppage. A lot of people were considering him to fight Fedor in the future. They guy that beat him, Pele, works as a tatoo artist on that A&E reality show Inked. I remember him because they had an episode where he fought in KOTC.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3682 posts
19 upvotes
Bodog is not very good but meh not bad either... Fedor vs Monson? wtf is that. If monson could not even get through Sylvia what makes anyone think he even has a chance vs Fedor.. I dont know. The only reason Fedor is going to Bodog is because they are having a event in russia and his current pride contract states he can fight out of pride if its in his home country.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2006
2845 posts
293 upvotes
phomp wrote: Bodog is not very good but meh not bad either... Fedor vs Monson? wtf is that. If monson could not even get through Sylvia what makes anyone think he even has a chance vs Fedor.. I dont know. The only reason Fedor is going to Bodog is because they are having a event in russia and his current pride contract states he can fight out of pride if its in his home country.
Sylvia presented different obstacles than Fedor will present though. It was physically very challenging (evidently TOO challenging) for Monson to stand with Sylvia, to take him down, or to do much in his guard. This just due to such a size difference.

With Fedor, at least Monson won't have such physical obstacles to go up against, so he can at least have a fighting chance.

On a side note, I never see fighters elbow the opponent's thighs while caught in closed guard. Anyone know why they don't?
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3634 posts
65 upvotes
Smashy wrote:
On a side note, I never see fighters elbow the opponent's thighs while caught in closed guard. Anyone know why they don't?
I think it would open them up for a triangle. But I'm just guessing.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2006
2845 posts
293 upvotes
ElChico wrote: I think it would open them up for a triangle. But I'm just guessing.
That thought did cross my mind, but I would think you can get off a quick, hard elbow into the thigh here and there while working in the guard... I never see it though.
Banned
Sep 21, 2005
2816 posts
[QUOTE]Dream Stage Entertainment is taking part in ongoing negotiations with several different companies based in several different countries to sell Pride, according to a report in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

Among the companies with which DSE has had talks are the Ultimate Fighting Championship, World Wrestling Entertainment, and multiple companies in both the United States and South Korea that were not named in the article, which further stated that the majority of the interest that has been shown in purchasing Pride has come from outside of Japan.

The crux of the Observer article is that it is necessary for DSE to eventually sell the company because while the company can continue to put on mega-shows like the December 31st show in the short term, Pride at its current level is simply not a sustainable business model over the long run without the all-important Japanese TV deal.

Fuji TV cancelled its contract and removed Pride from its network earlier this year due to company scandals, even though Pride's 2005 New Year's Eve show won the head-to-head ratings battle with the K-1 New Year's Eve show for the first time.

Fuji TV was much more than just a TV outlet for Pride, as Fuji also paid the company millions of dollars and provided it with valuable promotional exposure. Pride has been unable to secure a new TV deal with any other major network in Japan.

The DSE-owned Pride will continue to aggressively expand into the U.S. marketplace, add big-name fighters to its roster if given the opportunity, and continue to run shows in Japan. While it remains possible that a huge explosion in popularity or a Japanese TV deal could change the situation, neither of those two things are particularly likely to occur, and this would likely make it necessary for DSE to sell the company to new ownership if things don't turn around in the next year or so.

If Pride were to be purchased by World Wrestling Entertainment, it is not a stretch to say that it would be unlikely to succeed. Putting aside any fears that WWE would be tempted to fix fights, there's also the well-documented fact that WWE Chairman Vince McMahon has never displayed competence in any business outside of his core business of pro wrestling, with unsuccessful business ventures in nutritional supplements (IcoPro), a bodybuilding league (WBF), the movie industry (WWE Films), reality television production (Manhunt, Tough Enough, WWE Diva Search), a professional football league (XFL), the book industry (WWE's self-published novels in which McMahon solves crimes), and yes, even promoting legitimate shoot-fights on national television (Brawl for All).

The Observer article noted that Zuffa is faced with a strategic choice. If the UFC bought Pride and inherited what the Observer referred to as Pride's "very high contracts," Zuffa would acquire lots of world-class MMA fighters, but the move would raise the UFC's salary structure and "up the ante greatly" in terms of the amount of money that the company spends on fighter contracts.

If, on the other hand, Zuffa were to sit back and take a different kind of risk by letting the situation play itself out, the ideal scenario for Zuffa would be that Pride would eventually go out of business (or whoever buys Pride would fail with it and go under), thus making all of Pride's fighters free agents.

This would enable Zuffa to pay a lot less for the fighters than they would otherwise have to, because at that point there would be a very large amount of free agent fighters and only two stable, big-money options available for those fighters (UFC and K-1), although upstarts like BodogFight have managed to lure Fedor Emelianenko away, at least for one fight.

As the Observer reported, in the latter scenario Zuffa would be able to "work at signing only the people they want with the ability to negotiate more favorable terms [for Zuffa] due to the only other option [for the fighters] being K-1, which generally doesn't pay at Pride's level." In this scenario, with Pride's entire roster as free agents, the top-level fighters would likely end up split primarily between the UFC and K-1.

In the face of all the speculation, Pride broadcaster Frank Trigg appeared on MMAWeekly Radio's SoundOff and denied outright that Pride was for sale. Trigg said, "Two major organizations offered to buy Pride and both answers were no. They were both very substantial offers." Trigg was adamant as he said, "[DSE President] Sakakibara does not want to sell Pride. Pride is not up for sale. I spoke with him earlier today. Are we trying to do cross-promotions with other people? Absolutely... [but] Pride is not up for sale."

The Observer reported in its initial article that DSE's senior management will continue to act like "everything is status quo" and will continue to tell company employees that the company is not going to be sold.

Regardless of how the situation with Pride plays out, the Observer reports that Zuffa is planning on getting "very aggressive" when it comes to signing top talent.

The only thing for certain is that in the ever-changing landscape of MMA, only time will tell.[/QUOTE]Told you guys they are a sinking ship.
Little Boy Blue. He needed the money.

Oh!
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3634 posts
65 upvotes
Irb wrote: Told you guys they are a sinking ship.
I believe Frank Trigg because Trigg is always right....look at his record in picking winners. :|
Banned
Sep 21, 2005
2816 posts
ElChico wrote: I believe Frank Trigg because Trigg is always right....look at his record in picking winners. :|
Trigg did manage to beat Mayhem on Dec 1st. :razz:
Little Boy Blue. He needed the money.

Oh!
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3634 posts
65 upvotes
Irb wrote: Trigg did manage to beat Mayhem on Dec 1st. :razz:
Trigg picked Mayhem to win in the 2nd round ;)

For those out of the loop Trigg used to pick winners on MMA Weekly, and he was ALWAYS wrong.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3682 posts
19 upvotes
Andy Dick wrote: BJ Penn is back down to 155lb as he should be. Him and Jens Pulver will be the coaches of TUF5.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/tem ... &zoneid=14
umm..... It confirms that Penn is a coach for TUF5, which will be a LW show. No where does it say Penn will be a 155lb. That also says Rumors.. not confirmed. Now Ive heard that Pulver is confirmed and just recently Penn has been confirmed (not sure on that)...

On Bj Penn's site it says he will be saying at Welter Weight. Also heard the rumor that penn will be fighting Pulver at the end of the show (which would require penn to move to 155) which could be true.. but you have to remember that Penn moves weight all the time and has faught anywhere from LW to HW and pretty much every class inbetween.. weight is not a problem for him.. I believe he made the Min weight when he faught HW... Didnt fight these in UFC though, in ufc he just faught at LW and WW I believe.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)