The Official UFC & MMA thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 8:24 pm
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
206 upvotes
VCR wrote: http://mmajunkie.com/news/30635/dana-wh ... -jones.mma

lol. I think this is setting up a future match-up between the two with pre-fight hype. I think this would be more of of circus match than actually a competitive match, but the build-up might even exceed what Sonnen did with Silva.
Very smart move by Chael. Without a doubt, Jon Jones would not do what he did last time, and turn down a fight with Sonnen twice when the UFC needs him. So while he's training for Belfort, he keeps Sonnen in the back of his mind. Chael is so damn good at what he does, he's doing a better job of promoting a fight he's not part of, than Vitor or Jones are.
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
Kris81 wrote: Very smart move by Chael. Without a doubt, Jon Jones would not do what he did last time, and turn down a fight with Sonnen twice when the UFC needs him. So while he's training for Belfort, he keeps Sonnen in the back of his mind. Chael is so damn good at what he does, he's doing a better job of promoting a fight he's not part of, than Vitor or Jones are.
Yes, I hope Sonnen does well in his match against Griffin. I think if he does, he'll be next in line for a shot at the title after the winner of Hendo/Machida who is rumored to be matched up for the next number one contender.

Even though the winner of Shogun/Gustaffsson would probably deserve the next shot after the Hendo/Machida winner, for business reasons, a Sonnen/Jones match up next year would generate a lot more interest from the average fan, imo.
Temp. Banned
Feb 8, 2005
2335 posts
247 upvotes
VCR wrote: Uh, so what would you want him to say instead? Like, he's going to spend 25 minutes chasing him down, while Condit tries to hit and run?
Condit only did the hit and run against Diaz, who's a dangerous striker. there'll be NO NEED for Condit to "hit n run" against gsp. he knows gsp won't stand with him. gsp's stand up is NO WHERE near Condit's. gsp was too scared to stand with Hardy for more than 10 secs ffs.
Sep 5, 2012
6 posts
WOODBRIDGE
If you guys are UFC fans you really need to check out the FREE Jake Shields signing! He's going to be at Mac's Convenience on 144 Dundas St West this Friday Sept 21!!
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
206 upvotes
Cain Velasquez will also be doing some Q&A downtown at a bar that Friday night. No idea which bar yet, will find the details.
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/9/17/33 ... dana-white
Morning Report: Jon Fitch Says UFC Title Shot System 'Sucks,' Given to Whoever Will Draw Most
Do you agree? I think as a business, draw has to play an important factor even if it's not "fair" from a sporting/competitive pov. That's why I think they are keen to match up Sonnen against JBJ asap, while the fires still hot in their verbal feud.
Temp. Banned
Feb 8, 2005
2335 posts
247 upvotes
VCR wrote: Uh, so what would you want him to say instead? Like, he's going to spend 25 minutes chasing him down, while Condit tries to hit and run?
VCR wrote: http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/9/17/33 ... dana-white

Do you agree? I think as a business, draw has to play an important factor even if it's not "fair" from a sporting/competitive pov. That's why I think they are keen to match up Sonnen against JBJ asap, while the fires still hot in their verbal feud.
duh? u think?

the fact that they have that clown as their "president" makes it hard for anyone to take the ufc seriously. they claim they want to be a "mainstream sport", lmao. all they care about is MAKING MONEY.

it's not about being "fair". this isn't grade school. it's about credibility. and when you hand out title shots without ANY sort of system, you lose credibility (ie. WWE).

jon fitch and gsp are equally boring to watch. gsp is just lucky that Canadian fans, are typically, complete morons and support him no matter how bad his "fights" are. (ie. Maple Leafs)
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
nineiron wrote: Condit only did the hit and run against Diaz, who's a dangerous striker. there'll be NO NEED for Condit to "hit n run" against gsp. he knows gsp won't stand with him. gsp's stand up is NO WHERE near Condit's. gsp was too scared to stand with Hardy for more than 10 secs ffs.
dude, I think Condit would want to employ those tactics because he'll want to avoid putting himself in positions for the takedowns.
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
nineiron wrote: jon fitch and gsp are equally boring to watch. gsp is just lucky that Canadian fans, are typically, complete morons and support him no matter how bad his "fights" are. (ie. Maple Leafs)
How many matches of fitch or gsp have you watched to come to those conclusions?
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
206 upvotes
VCR wrote: http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/9/17/33 ... dana-white

Of course I agree. fitch beat everyone & should have had a title shot. Frankie Edgar clearly loses his LW shot and gets an immediate rematch.
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
206 upvotes
In other news, the UFC has 2 new ring girls - for Australia.

Kahili Blundell

and

Kristie Jane Mckeon

Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3682 posts
19 upvotes
every time a UFC comes to Toronto it is sweet, bunch of fighters in town who are fighting and their team comes and even just some of the fighters who come to watch. Which means they train at various gyms for the fights coming up or just guys who are in town for the event to watch/corner like to get in some training. Guys who have an actual fight usually do not train with anyone outside of the guys that come with them but the others do. Last UFC Kongo was at Xtreme Couture just working out, but didn't train. Koscheck was rolling/training at a gym in the east end. Nick Diaz came and rolled at Xtreme with random people, etc... I know that Charles Olivera (sp?) is at Evolucao Thai for this one and Xtreme is expecting some (other than the open work outs, media sessions, etc..)
Deal Addict
May 20, 2007
1432 posts
142 upvotes
Kris81 wrote: In other news, the UFC has 2 new ring girls - for Australia.

Kahili Blundell

and

Kristie Jane Mckeon

Temp. Banned
Feb 8, 2005
2335 posts
247 upvotes
VCR wrote: How many matches of fitch or gsp have you watched to come to those conclusions?
pretty much all of them. which matches of fitch or gsp have you watched to come to the conclusion that they're not boring point fighters?
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
nineiron wrote: pretty much all of them. which matches of fitch or gsp have you watched to come to the conclusion that they're not boring point fighters?
lol. So you know what you're going to get when you watch them fight and still volunteerily choose to "watch pretty much all of them." You could have "boycott" the card or take a bathroom break or whatever if their fighting style is so "unwatchable."
Temp. Banned
Feb 8, 2005
2335 posts
247 upvotes
VCR wrote: lol. So you know what you're going to get when you watch them fight and still volunteerily choose to "watch pretty much all of them." You could have "boycott" the card or take a bathroom break or whatever if their fighting style is so "unwatchable."
trust me buddy, i'm not watching the whole fight or paying 100% attention to their fights. but it really doesn't matter if i watch the first 2 min or the whole fight, it's the same thing. why should i "boycott" the card? there are other fights on the card that i want to see.

so why don't you answer my question? which matches of fitch or gsp have you watched to come to the conclusion that they're not boring point fighters?
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
nineiron wrote: trust me buddy, i'm not watching the whole fight or paying 100% attention to their fights. but it really doesn't matter if i watch the first 2 min or the whole fight, it's the same thing. why should i "boycott" the card? there are other fights on the card that i want to see.

so why don't you answer my question? which matches of fitch or gsp have you watched to come to the conclusion that they're not boring point fighters?
dude, either fighter has about 2-4 matches per year. This is Mixed Martial Arts. Not Striking Arts. I'm not saying either is the most exciting fighter, but I can appreciate their skill. I don't think it's fair to compare fitch to GSP. As GSP employs different strategies and focuses on his opponent's weaknesses and can strike when he feels it's to his advantage while fitch has shown less variety.

As much as you like to belabour GSP, his "point scoring" on Kos (whom someone else here rank as the number two WW), did more damage to Kos than any of the Spider's KOs in the UFC. That match should have been a TKO by Doctor's stoppage.
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
206 upvotes
So, is anyone going to UFC 152 Saturday? Where are you sitting?

I will be there for my 8th live event! I don't know where we're sitting because I dont' have the tickets on hand, but i'm assuming floors or 100's

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)