The Official UFC & MMA thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 8:24 pm
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
phomp wrote: I hope Garcia can take the title.
I don't care who wins the fight cuz Faber is gonna get his title back either way
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7311 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
Viper98 wrote: that's no different than BJ saying he was going to try to kill GSP in their rematch
The difference is that BJ was consistent about wanting to kill GSP in all the interviews. Sobral appeared to have a split personality, perhaps it was the language barrier, but overall my impression of him was that he was atleast a bit volatile and this was way before the heath fight. The heath fight just makes him look even worse.

Also his 2nd loss to chuck showed how insane he was. He did the exact same thing the 2nd fight, chasing chuck, everyone but Sobral knew what was going to happen.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
toalan wrote: Also his 2nd loss to chuck showed how insane he was. He did the exact same thing the 2nd fight, chasing chuck, everyone but Sobral knew what was going to happen.

when you're a wrestler and jits guy with almost no striking ability like Babalu was at that time you don't have much choice
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7311 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
Viper98 wrote: when you're a wrestler and jits guy with almost no striking ability like Babalu was at that time you don't have much choice
I think in terms of standup he did have a choice; chase chuck or not to chase chuck.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
toalan wrote: I think in terms of standup he did have a choice; chase chuck or not to chase chuck.
so you'd say he should stand there and dance around for 15 minutes while putting on the worst fight in history?

cuz you know for damn sure Chuck wouldn't chase... he was smart back then, unlike now where he tries to push the action
Sep 13, 2008
408 posts
Viper98 wrote: so you'd say he should stand there and dance around for 15 minutes while putting on the worst fight in history?
yeah , it's probably better to "kalib starnes" for 15 minutes (or 25 minutes as it was title fight) than to pull a fking bob sapp bumrush and get ktfo in the 1st minute of the fight like an idiot
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2003
2088 posts
20 upvotes
http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=266568& ... dlines_mma

Dana really seems to have his heart set on a show in Toronto once/if the legalities clear up.

Toronto is next, UFC president Dana White said in December, with the Rogers Centre a possible venue.

"We are going to attack Toronto," he told reporters in Las Vegas. "And we're going to get that done. We want to get a fight done in Ontario bad. And we're going to do a big stadium there too. We're not talking 10, 15, 20,000, we're going to do a big stadium in Toronto."

White says the UFC will make an even bigger splash in Ontario once the sport is sanctioned there. "When we go into Toronto I swear to God I think it's going to be the biggest event we've ever done and the fastest-selling event ever. Toronto's going to be insane." The UFC is looking at the Rogers Centre as a possible venue. "And I'm going to do Toronto right. When we get it, we're going to do a serious, serious card in Toronto. It's going to be big.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1511 posts
31 upvotes
dell wrote: http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=266568& ... dlines_mma

Dana really seems to have his heart set on a show in Toronto once/if the legalities clear up.

Toronto is next, UFC president Dana White said in December, with the Rogers Centre a possible venue.

"We are going to attack Toronto," he told reporters in Las Vegas. "And we're going to get that done. We want to get a fight done in Ontario bad. And we're going to do a big stadium there too. We're not talking 10, 15, 20,000, we're going to do a big stadium in Toronto."

White says the UFC will make an even bigger splash in Ontario once the sport is sanctioned there. "When we go into Toronto I swear to God I think it's going to be the biggest event we've ever done and the fastest-selling event ever. Toronto's going to be insane." The UFC is looking at the Rogers Centre as a possible venue. "And I'm going to do Toronto right. When we get it, we're going to do a serious, serious card in Toronto. It's going to be big.
As all teachers have told me in the past, Wikipedia shouldn't be used....but this is the internet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers_Centre says that Pro Wrestling (If I remember correctly, WWE had a Wrestlemania in Skydome a couple years ago?), was able to attract 67,000 fans into Skydome.

Isn't Montreal UFC's biggest selling venue to date?
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2002
2481 posts
14 upvotes
I was at a wrestlemania at skydome, and I would not want to watch a ufc event there. Bad sight lines. Dana's thinking big, but smaller is much better for watching a fight.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3634 posts
65 upvotes
gwu wrote: As all teachers have told me in the past, Wikipedia shouldn't be used....but this is the internet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers_Centre says that Pro Wrestling (If I remember correctly, WWE had a Wrestlemania in Skydome a couple years ago?), was able to attract 67,000 fans into Skydome.

Isn't Montreal UFC's biggest selling venue to date?
Skydome has hosted Wrestlemania VI with a record setting 67,678 people which was broken by Wrestlemania X8 with 68,237 and a gate in the $6million range. (Sourced Wikipedia) I would expect a good UFC card to do similar.

Also Yoshihiro "Sexyama" Akiyama has been signed by the UFC.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/tem ... &zoneid=13
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1511 posts
31 upvotes
actyper wrote: I was at a wrestlemania at skydome, and I would not want to watch a ufc event there. Bad sight lines. Dana's thinking big, but smaller is much better for watching a fight.
ACC would have much better viewing angles... but I don't think that's big enough for Dana. I'm sure he wants to have a ridiculous attendance here in Toronto.
ElChico wrote: Skydome has hosted Wrestlemania VI with a record setting 67,678 people which was broken by Wrestlemania X8 with 68,237 and a gate in the $6million range. (Sourced Wikipedia) I would expect a good UFC card to do similar.
[/url]
Thanks ElExacto!
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3634 posts
65 upvotes
gwu wrote:
Thanks ElExacto!
No Problem... :cheesygri I really just wanted to post the Akiyama news, but it was posted while I was searching Wiki...
Sep 13, 2008
408 posts
anyone else excited for rampage\jardine ?
on the paper , it's extremely stupid and pointless fight
style wise though , it could be a very good fight , and possibly WAY more competitive than many people thinks

if jardine can somehow avoid getting his cocktail glass chin cracked by rampage , than he got a very good chance to win this fight
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1134 posts
3 upvotes
qeqw443 wrote: anyone else excited for rampage\jardine ?
style wise though , it could be a very good fight , and possibly WAY more competitive than many people thinks

if jardine can somehow avoid getting his cocktail glass chin cracked by rampage , than he got a very good chance to win this fight
My money is on rampage. Jardine is at a plateau while Rampage is climbing. If he`s able to combine that with some discipline and cardio, he`ll pull it off i think.

Besides, Jardine makes me cringe, i feel i need a shower after i see him fight. :mad:
CHANGE
Lost my Garmin Nuvi, it's piano black, Toronto, Yonge street, if you find it please ping me
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2678 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
It does look like an interesting fight, especially given Jardine's knack for taking out top fighters once in a while, but I'm more interested in Carwin/Gonzaga. Gonzaga is always fun to watch, Carwin could have his breakout performance, and the winner is likely to get a title shot.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
qeqw443 wrote: anyone else excited for rampage\jardine ?

Jardine needs to do the same thing he did against Liddell and use the leg kicks

Forrest proved those are affective against Rampage and that's the reason he won(I use that term loosely because in reality he lost) the fight
Sep 13, 2008
408 posts
Mintmaster wrote: but I'm more interested in Carwin/Gonzaga. Gonzaga
it's gonna be very interesting , for the 30 seconds it's gonna last
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
UFN 18 card has been finalized

Main Card

Carlos Condit vs. Martin Kampmann
Efrain Escudero vs. Jeremy Stephens
Ryan Bader vs. Carmelo Marrero
Cole Miller vs. Junie Allen Browning

Undercard

Tyson Griffin vs. Rafael dos Anjos
Ricardo Almeida vs. Matt Horwich
Brock Larson vs. Jesse Sanders
Jorge Rivera vs. Nissen Osterneck
Rob Kimmons vs. Joe Vedepo
Tim McKenzie vs. Aaron Simpson
Steve Steinbeiss vs. Ryan Jensen

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)