The Official UFC & MMA thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 8:24 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2422 posts
794 upvotes
Coleman used to be something.

Please don't dump on his like that. He was brilliant.

Now he's not. The juice took it's toll.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2678 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
dcue wrote: i beg to disagree this one. I was a bit disappointed on UFC's card w/o knowing what Dana would say afterwards, but I wasn't happy w/ the Strikeforce Card either. That Nagy/Walker fight alone ruined that card, especially w/ the commentators hyping Walker like a top 10 caliber fighter. I'd say both were ok, but could've been better. Maybe the SF card was a bit better, but not far superior.
hitman_24 wrote: i scrutanize strikeforce shows a little bit tougher because they only put on a few shows a year, therefore they should all be spectacular
What kind of logic is that? They probably have like 1/20th of the revenue that the UFC has. They put on 10 events in 2009, while the UFC did 20.

The UFC should be ashamed that Strikeforce events are even comparable in entertainment value. Their UFNs are usually far worse than their PPVs.
Jan 4, 2006
503 posts
3 upvotes
North of Toronto
dcue wrote: i beg to disagree this one. I was a bit disappointed on UFC's card w/o knowing what Dana would say afterwards, but I wasn't happy w/ the Strikeforce Card either. That Nagy/Walker fight alone ruined that card, especially w/ the commentators hyping Walker like a top 10 caliber fighter. I'd say both were ok, but could've been better. Maybe the SF card was a bit better, but not far superior.
Ya I don't believe the last Strikeforce card was far superior or anything, but considering they are still relatively new to these big cards, and that their roster has so little depth they have more of an excuse. This UFC card was really sub-par for a Pay Per View card. The first Strikeforce card was definitely superior, and the second was slightly better than this UFC card, and both were free.
Everyone who knows MMA knew in advance that Mark Coleman would lose. I mean Mark Coleman isnt even elite in any sense. Dude has fought just about nobodies and when he did fight elite MMA fighters such as CroCop and Fedor, dude lost multiple times. Yes I know he did "well" in Pride for a certain time but he isn't elite if he can't beat the crocop/fedor's of MMA.

And these UFC homers (Rogan and his partner) were hyping this crappy main event so much. Ughh..
I think Coleman did a better job against a prime Cro-cop and Fedor that Randy ever would have done against them. I think Couture is one of the most over-rated fighters out there. He's been given so many gifts through his career it's ridiculous. And now he's going to get another one for beating Vera and Coleman of all people. I am not saying Couture is a 'bad' fighter by any means and I would even consider myself a fan. It's just that the UFC gives him WAY too much. And a match like Couture/Coleman as a headlining match on a PPV event is just ridiculous.

Beyond the roids (alleged), Coleman also had a long history of just not training properly either. It's all taken a toll on him. Watching him in that fight, he just didn't seem to have any fire or will in his eyes either. He used to be one intense dude. If he had followed a different path, and trained differently things it could have been a whole other story.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3682 posts
19 upvotes
Yeah, I think it was a bit reactionary of me to say that the SF card was far superior. Because, after thinking back it was not far superior imo. Just pissed off at that UFC card and what it was.... (the main event and the fight they showed from the undercard after the mainevent left a bad, bad taste in my mouth)

That being said, entertainment value and bang for buck wise (depending on how you calculate the cost of the SF event) the StrikeForce card was better imo, maybe not far superior but certainly superior.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
phomp wrote: Yeah, I think it was a bit reactionary of me to say that the SF card was far superior. Because, after thinking back it was not far superior imo. Just pissed off at that UFC card and what it was.... (the main event and the fight they showed from the undercard after the mainevent left a bad, bad taste in my mouth)

That being said, entertainment value and bang for buck wise (depending on how you calculate the cost of the SF event) the StrikeForce card was better imo, maybe not far superior but certainly superior.
I think you were right the first time
it was far superior

with the exception of the women's fight every fight on the strikeforce card was great

When the highlight of your event comes from people talking you know it was a crappy card(UFC 109)
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
4070 posts
711 upvotes
Toronto
Viper98 wrote: Trigg was also cut
As was Phillipe Nover. All potential and no show. At least he has his nursing gig to fall back on.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2007
1019 posts
4 upvotes
Geologic wrote: As was Phillipe Nover. All potential and no show. At least he has his nursing gig to fall back on.
Sad to see him go. The dude is everything I want to be: a filipino nurse/MMA fighter. Hopefully he puts together a string of wins and gets back to the big show so that he can fulfill all that potential.

EDIT: As well, fellow Canadian Tim Hague was included in this round of cuts. Sucks for him too. I read that he was robbed! Judges feel bad for Tuchscherer because he got nailed in the nads AGAIN!!! The dude needs to learn how to move or just avoid the clinch altogether, though that seems impossible since he fights with a wrestling style...
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
Geologic wrote: As was Phillipe Nover. All potential and no show. At least he has his nursing gig to fall back on.
what does that make him...... the 2nd TUFer to be cut?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
Kampman out of UFC 111 fight with Ben Saunders after suffering a nasty cut in training

[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/mmzebr.jpg[/IMG]
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2007
1019 posts
4 upvotes
Viper98 wrote: what does that make him...... the 2nd TUFer to be cut?
If you count anyone that's ever been on the show. Nope. Plenty of examples. Travis Lutter just happens to be the biggest one because he was a winner of a TUF season. Nover was a runner-up.

Edit: Dude, that is one nasty cut!!! Right between the eyebrows, almost to the eyelid. Man, imagine if it cut anywhere closer to his eye!
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1511 posts
31 upvotes
Vitor our of title bout with Anderson via Shoulder injury.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17916/shoulde ... -silva.mma

I can't see them telling Anderson he can gain 20 lbs...

Who's left in 185?

1) Sonnen, suspended because of his last fight. I doubt he's ready to go for April especially with that big gash

2) Marquardt? Doubt it, he just lost convincingly to Sonnen

3) Maia? Lost to Nate, but beat Sonnen. I think he's also suspended for a while too.

4) Anyone else left in 185 that I forgot?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
they have nobody worthy of a title-shot right now other than Sonnen

my guess is silva will be taken right off of the card as 2 months to prepare for light heavyweight isnt enough for him
gwu wrote: Vitor our of title bout with Anderson via Shoulder injury.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17916/shoulde ... -silva.mma

I can't see them telling Anderson he can gain 20 lbs...

Who's left in 185?

1) Sonnen, suspended because of his last fight. I doubt he's ready to go for April especially with that big gash

2) Marquardt? Doubt it, he just lost convincingly to Sonnen

3) Maia? Lost to Nate, but beat Sonnen. I think he's also suspended for a while too.

4) Anyone else left in 185 that I forgot?
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
May 17, 2006
234 posts
2 upvotes
anybody else feelin the UFC's been lackin the last couple months? aside from BJ's steller win over diego, there hasn't been much to talk about. what really pisses me off though is how the UFC (mostly dana and rogan) are tryin to pump the cards up. UFC 109 was the biggest hype job i've seen the promotion do. the way rogan was talkin about the main event was like it was the greatest fight ever. UFC needs to trim the number of PPVs. UFC fight nights and HDNET fights are better than the crap they showed last saturday. AND THERE FREE
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
jjoaquin23 wrote: anybody else feelin the UFC's been lackin the last couple months? aside from BJ's steller win over diego, there hasn't been much to talk about. what really pisses me off though is how the UFC (mostly dana and rogan) are tryin to pump the cards up. UFC 109 was the biggest hype job i've seen the promotion do. the way rogan was talkin about the main event was like it was the greatest fight ever. UFC needs to trim the number of PPVs. UFC fight nights and HDNET fights are better than the crap they showed last saturday. AND THERE FREE
makes me glad that i dont pay for the pay per views :evil:
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
UFC 113 tix go on sale on the 20th
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
can't say this is surprising but 1 more cut from 109... Rolles Gracie's gone

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)