Sports & Recreation

The Official UFC & MMA thread: UFC 222: Cyborg vs. Kunitskaya - March 3rd

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2018 6:35 pm
Tags:
Jan 4, 2017
175 posts
43 upvotes
I can see GSP grinding out a win vs. Conor, but i can't see it at WW. It would have to be at a catch weight, which I don't see GSP cutting 20-30lbs. But who knows, money talks. I'd rather see the Conor vs Diaz fight first at 155 in regards to super fights. Unless he loses to Tony first lol
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4336 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto
WOWOWOW Ngannou!!!
KO of the year right there!!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
2170 posts
294 upvotes
What's next for GSP?.. one and done ? Woodley?... crazy money non sense McGregor fight? or retirement again?
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
2397 posts
191 upvotes
Brampton
jesguerra wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 12:42 pm
I can see GSP grinding out a win vs. Conor, but i can't see it at WW. It would have to be at a catch weight, which I don't see GSP cutting 20-30lbs. But who knows, money talks. I'd rather see the Conor vs Diaz fight first at 155 in regards to super fights. Unless he loses to Tony first lol
It wouldn't be a close fight at all. GSP would destroy Conor.

If you mean grind as in that time he ragdolled Penn then yeah. It could end something like that.
Jan 4, 2017
175 posts
43 upvotes
toeknee89 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2017 11:07 pm
It wouldn't be a close fight at all. GSP would destroy Conor.

If you mean grind as in that time he ragdolled Penn then yeah. It could end something like that.
Pretty easy observation to state now considering the fight is over. Had to take into account that he took 4 years off, was fighting at his heaviest, and didn't look all that great in his last fight with Hendricks (should have lost imo). Ring rust, age, possible lack of drive and solely seeking a payday, you would think if Conor was his first fight back, he would just take him down and win by points.

Obviously seeing how solid he looked against Bisping, that all changes.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9623 posts
2168 upvotes
Toronto
https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/12/10/ ... is-shocked

I'm really sick of Dana White.

Slagging GSP for not defending the belt when Conor hasn't defended his LW belt in over a year and vacated the FW belt too after never defending it.

Last month, in the aftermath of UFC 217, UFC president Dana White made it clear that he expected Georges St-Pierre to defend the middleweight title he captured with a stunning victory over Michael Bisping. White insisted that the UFC and St-Pierre made a deal, and that St-Pierre was expected to fulfill his end of the bargain and unify the 185-pound titles with a matchup against then-interim champion Robert Whittaker, just as St-Pierre’s contract specifically requested.

That didn’t end up happening.

St-Pierre vacated his UFC middleweight title this past week, citing the ulcerative colitis that he was diagnosed with following his win over Bisping. GSP explained that he believed he got sick as a result of his move up to the middleweight division. In prior interviews, St-Pierre said that he suffered through several illnesses in camp due to issues resulting from his weight gain for 185 pounds, and that his system appeared to be shutting down on him by the time UFC 217 took place.

The situation forced the UFC to promote Whittaker as its undisputed middleweight champion. And for White, the entire end result with St-Pierre isn’t surprising.

“At the end of the day, there’s a reason I put that stuff in the contract for him to sign,” White told reporters Saturday night at UFC Fresno. “There’s a reason. And am I shocked? I don’t think anybody is shocked. He came out, he hand-picked Bisping and then went away again. So, whatever, it is what it is.”

With St-Pierre out of the picture, the UFC instead booked Whittaker to fight Luke Rockhold on Feb. 10 at UFC 221 in Perth, Western Australia.

White told reporters last month that he would be “super pissed” if St-Pierre didn’t end up fighting Whittaker, saying of the legendary Canadian champion: “Get in there and see who you can f*cking beat. You wanted to f*cking come back? Welcome back, it’s ugly.” But White was more restrained regarding the topic on Saturday. He attributed much of that change in demeanor to having expected St-Pierre to drop the 185-pound belt from the moment UFC 217 ended.

“I thought I would be (super pissed), but I’m not. I expected it,” White said. “Listen, I had him sign a contract that said he would defend against Whittaker for a reason — because I knew he wouldn’t.

“He doesn’t want to fight anybody at welterweight,” White continued. “That’s why he fought Bisping. He didn’t want to fight (Tyron) Woodley, he didn’t want to fight (Stephen) ‘Wonderboy’ Thompson. He didn’t want to fight any of those guys. He wanted to fight Michael Bisping, and he did, and now he’s off again. So, listen, I’m not shocked, I’m not mad. It is what it is.”

As of this writing, St-Pierre has not given any indications regarding whether he will fight again, saying only that once he was healthy, he looked forward to “working with the UFC to determine what’s next in my career.”

St-Pierre, 36, is widely considered the greatest welterweight to ever compete in MMA. He is undefeated over his past 13 fights, a streak that dates back to 2007. GSP is also one of only four men to capture titles in two different UFC weight divisions. He is currently the No. 2 ranked pound-for-pound fighter in the UFC, according to the promotion’s media-generated welterweight rankings.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9704 posts
883 upvotes
RFD
Dana gonna Dana. He is a douchebag promoter who always throws his fighters under the bus so he can get what he wants and in this case it's that his cash cows are disappearing and GSP is one of them. GSP is smart enough to understand what he is doing. GSP owes nothing to no one. Throwing GSP under the bus is nothing new, he's done it in the past when GSP was pushing for more drug testing, etc. How can you handpick when you are the challenger fighting the champion? There are so many examples of Dana throwing x fighter under the bus over the years so nothing is surprising about it, just that its highly unprofessional. The only one he doesn't throw under the bus is Conor, because he's hoping Conor will come back. All the delusional reasons he gives for throwing GSP under the bus is funny, he should call out Conor for holding up the division, hand picking his opponents. Anyway Dana has no logic and his brash style has turned off once die hard fans over the years, myself included. I once was a die hard UFC fan, but slowly but surely Dana's unprofessional behavior started to turn me away, I couldn't support someone like that. That and watching people possibly get CTE was questioning everything.

The day Dana White is fired or removed from his position, will be the best day for the UFC. Heck he should learn something from the Ferttitas when it comes to answering questions.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
5372 posts
966 upvotes
I just turned to the Main Card. Woohoo. (Will be on the MMA forums though.)
Sep 23, 2011
298 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
If Conor does not want to defend the belt by April- the UFC should do the right thing and tell Conor to vacate his title. Both Khabib and Tony Ferguson said they want to fight around April next. Has not fought in all of 2017. Has never defended his belt. Now- he says he might or might not come back. He has every right to not come back. He made a ton of money. So, he can do the right thing and just vacate his belt, like GSP did. Let Tony fight Khabib for the LW title, and declare the real LW champ for the UFC.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
2397 posts
191 upvotes
Brampton
Miocic's boxing and footwork is amazing. Ngannou looked like a monster when he killed Overeem. Not so much tonight baring a haymaker.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1517 posts
241 upvotes
Happy that DC got a win back under his belt. He's so damn good.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4336 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto
Stipe has quite the unique character profile:
- Has a very European name
- Sounds like a gruff redneck when he talks
- His walk out entrance music is some dirty south hip hop Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1517 posts
241 upvotes
glover78 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 1:58 pm
Stipe has quite the unique character profile:
- Has a very European name
- Sounds like a gruff redneck when he talks
- His walk out entrance music is some dirty south hip hop Smiling Face With Open Mouth
I honestly couldn't understand a word he said in the post fight interview with Rogan.
Baaaaaaaaa!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)