Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2020 12:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
PointsHubby wrote: This was my experience as well in Eastern Ontario... A very subtle change, nothing dramatic.

Certainly nothing like the photo that @CenturyBreak posted above.

Got much darker here today in the midst of the huge thunderstorm that passed over this morning.

I remember vividly the various eclipses in my life (solar & lunar).

The various solar eclipses I saw in the 70s were mind blowing... Especially the one that was total. It actually became twilight in the Montreal area in the middle of the day.

Yesterday was by contrast... Hugely disappointing (hype here far out weighed reality).

Looking forward to the next TOTAL Solar Eclipse that is due to happen over Eastern Canada in April 2024 (hope it is a clear weather day for optimum viewing)

As total eclipses are so rare, 2024 will probably be my last opportunity to see one in my lifetime (unless I travel to catch one elsewhere)
Yeah I had no idea that 72% coverage would leave outside looking so 'normal' for daytime hours.
As for 2024, there will be tons of potential viewing locations right in Canada alone.

What CenturyBreak posted did happen in Ontario, if you looked for it. It was just too easy to miss because you need the right conditions with a flat surface.
blahhh
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8532 upvotes
GTHA



"If you've been looking for the superlative solar eclipse shot from Toronto, you can stop now. Local cinematographer Jon Simo captured an amazing image of the moon-covered sun passing by the CN Tower when the eclipse was approaching its peak in our area."

from http://www.blogto.com/city/2017/08/sola ... r-toronto/
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8532 upvotes
GTHA
GTA: Cool days for the rest of the week
Cooler temperatures are expected for the rest of the week, with temperatures on Thursday hitting a high of only 20 degrees. Adam Stiles with your seven day forecast.

Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9770 posts
1395 upvotes
Chilly this morning, had to put on a little sweater.

Although weather looks gorgeous for my brother's wedding this weekend. Lucky him, we got rained all day for ours lol
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
My model analysis for Sept as for now projects quite the cold picture for that month.
Starting exactly a week from now, right on the long weekend and before school even starts, the cold will just come raging in!
If things stay mostly the same as I see now in my models, we are looking at a steady stream of highs just in the mid to upper teens, effectively cutting off summer for all of next week!
blahhh
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 7, 2007
20428 posts
4384 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: My model analysis for Sept as for now projects quite the cold picture for that month.
Starting exactly a week from now, right on the long weekend and before school even starts, the cold will just come raging in!
If things stay mostly the same as I see now in my models, we are looking at a steady stream of highs just in the mid to upper teens, effectively cutting off summer for all of next week!
This is awesome news. It seems this year winter will be earlier. Temps are now in the mid 20s. It's getting darker earlier and later in the morning. And the best if all? You wouldn't have to deal with spiders in winter!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
sandikosh wrote: This is awesome news. It seems this year winter will be earlier. Temps are now in the mid 20s. It's getting darker earlier and later in the morning. And the best if all? You wouldn't have to deal with spiders in winter!
Lol yes. Thank god!

If I see one stray, I will put it out in the snow and joyfully watch as it trembles and twitches in the snow till eventual death.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4118 posts
920 upvotes
Sask.
We have been having weather in the 20s, this week will be hitting 30+ some days and sunny.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
natalka wrote: We have been having weather in the 20s, this week will be hitting 30+ some days and sunny.
I was just looking at your forecast and realized that it is still all hot up there. How could things be so cold in Toronto if you have been hot all summer and will continue that way!
blahhh
Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1091 posts
108 upvotes
Burlington
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: My model analysis for Sept as for now projects quite the cold picture for that month.
Starting exactly a week from now, right on the long weekend and before school even starts, the cold will just come raging in!
If things stay mostly the same as I see now in my models, we are looking at a steady stream of highs just in the mid to upper teens, effectively cutting off summer for all of next week!
Cold? Next week? Highs in the upper teens to mid-20s?

Image

Temps in the teens aren't cold... middle-of-the-night lows in the high single digits a month from now, where they're appropriate, aren't cold.

Now... if you tell me your models show a prolonged period of sustained sub-freezing temps sometime in September, I'll defer and allow the use of the word "cold"... until then, we'll still have to wait 'til December for some cold... and even then it still won't be enough cold!

I'm pretty sure this autumn will be like the last three or four, where I've still had to cut the grass in late November and probably shoulda done it again in December!!! Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
CenturyBreak wrote: Cold? Next week? Highs in the upper teens to mid-20s?

Image

Temps in the teens aren't cold... middle-of-the-night lows in the high single digits a month from now, where they're appropriate, aren't cold.

Now... if you tell me your models show a prolonged period of sustained sub-freezing temps sometime in September, I'll defer and allow the use of the word "cold"... until then, we'll still have to wait 'til December for some cold... and even then it still won't be enough cold!

I'm pretty sure this autumn will be like the last three or four, where I've still had to cut the grass in late November and probably shoulda done it again in December!!! Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
"cold" is relative. It won't feel good after being used to the heat.
The right word is already in the title anyways. "chilly"

EDIT:
Before dictionary searching the word, I had a feeling that I was not misusing the word:
"cold"
"of or at a low or relatively low temperature, especially when compared with the human body."
Relative. Exactly what I said above.

Notice how people in this country have the habit of saying things like "eat your soup before it gets cold" when we are not sitting on an iceberg, but in a room temperature house! Now even I like to dispute that kind of phrase lol. But that is how the word is used.
blahhh
Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1091 posts
108 upvotes
Burlington
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: "cold" is relative. It won't feel good after being used to the heat.
The right word is already in the title anyways. "chilly"

EDIT:
Before dictionary searching the word, I had a feeling that I was not misusing the word:
"cold"
"of or at a low or relatively low temperature, especially when compared with the human body."
Relative. Exactly what I said above.

Notice how people in this country have the habit of saying things like "eat your soup before it gets cold" when we are not sitting on an iceberg, but in a room temperature house! Now even I like to dispute that kind of phrase lol. But that is how the word is used.
Actually, it'll feel great after being used to the heat! :D There's rarely anything enjoyable about summer in southern Ontario, so this is a return to pleasant weather after the unpleasantness of summer. :)

I'll admit that this summer hasn't been as miserable as the past few, which were torture, but we still had a sh!t-tonne of hot weather (in the 30s, humid, etc.) especially since the end of June.

As for definitions, I'll defer to Merriam-Webster for the moment:
Definition of cold
1 a : having or being a temperature that is uncomfortably low for humans
In no version of reality could upper teens to low 20s be considered "uncomfortably low", so again, "cold" doesn't apply to next week! Comfortable, pleasant, welcome... these would be words associated with the weather... not "cold"! Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4118 posts
920 upvotes
Sask.
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: I was just looking at your forecast and realized that it is still all hot up there. How could things be so cold in Toronto if you have been hot all summer and will continue that way!
It is bizarre, an unusual year, that's for sure - the hot started in May.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
CenturyBreak wrote: In no version of reality could upper teens to low 20s be considered "uncomfortably low", so again, "cold" doesn't apply to next week! Comfortable, pleasant, welcome... these would be words associated with the weather... not "cold"! Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Great because I wasnt refering to 20's anyways.
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: If things stay mostly the same as I see now in my models, we are looking at a steady stream of highs just in the mid to upper teens, effectively cutting off summer for all of next week!
And that is an if.
Now let's wait and see how cold it gets behind that cold front. Ahem "cold front" Not "cool front" or "mild front" or "chilly front" lol

Arctic ice is not breaking records as of late and I was looking at this thing about a potential long term cooling trend caused by solar cycles so watch out. Sandikosh may love what's coming.
natalka wrote: It is bizarre, an unusual year, that's for sure - the hot started in May.

You are actually much farther north than Toronto and the SK to TO weather difference was more like an SK to Yukon difference!
blahhh

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)