Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2020 6:34 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4905 posts
834 upvotes
Toronto
North york side streets are really bad. even with winter tires and 4wheel drive is not helping much
HEATWARE 18-0-0 since 2006
EBAY 38-0-0 Since 2003
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8533 upvotes
GTHA
speedyforme wrote: Are the plows contracts up because nothing has come by. In North York it is truly awful. Normally I walk to the subway and just avoid the shuttle bus in my complex that takes residents to the subway but today, I took the shuttle bus. There is no clear path to walk on and the roads are really bad.
Plowing streets will cause flooding.

Sep 24, 2006
771 posts
97 upvotes
Is it just me or is the ice/snow not really melting? I've been out twice this morning and it seems to be getting harder and heavier.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1404 upvotes
Toronto
JayLove06 wrote: anyone have a downtown forecast? How are the streets?
roads are pretty much clear, traffic is lighter than usual, maybe driving a bit slower but it looks good.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
51983 posts
16599 upvotes
hank755 wrote: Is it just me or is the ice/snow not really melting? I've been out twice this morning and it seems to be getting harder and heavier.
My wife made me clear the driveway yesterday afternoon. The rain did soften the snow but also made shovelling much harder and heavier.

Simple rule of physics with freezing point of water at 0C. Anything above that will remain liquid.
Jan 12, 2017
815 posts
955 upvotes
YK
could not get past the front porch
walkway pure ice
tried to walk on the grass, but the grass was covered in freezing rain that turned in to ice

called in to work: they allow us to make up time lost within a 2 week period
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
51983 posts
16599 upvotes
NoWynne2018 wrote: could not get past the front porch
walkway pure ice
tried to walk on the grass, but the grass was covered in freezing rain that turned in to ice

called in to work: they allow us to make up time lost within a 2 week period
I think most people expected the rain to do its wonders but at 1-2 degrees, maybe melting will take more time.

I need a dual stage electric snowthrower. Spent at least 1.5 hours outside yesterday clearing our driveway.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13874 posts
2005 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
I'm just glad I was lazy in switching out my winter tires last week! lol
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
51983 posts
16599 upvotes
Wasn't snow forecasted already two weekends ago? Temperatures were still mostly below 7C so I opted to keep them on.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3340 posts
568 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
DelusionalDiva wrote: What a weather, what a weather!
Sick of whining about this weather!
But what else can we do? We can only whinge about it. Though it is not fair we are being robbed a full month of "better" weather in an already short supply of "better weather" months. Just think, in just 4.5 months or 22 weeks, it will start getting cold and crappy again.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Oct 24, 2009
378 posts
78 upvotes
willdacanucker wrote: But what else can we do? We can only whinge about it. Though it is not fair we are being robbed a full month of "better" weather in an already short supply of "better weather" months. Just think, in just 4.5 months or 22 weeks, it will start getting cold and crappy again.
Jeez Louise, I am trying to stay positive here!
Alright, let me ruin it for you all. I have a feeling (and trust me when it comes to negatives, my hunches are always right) this summer will be lukewarm and wet like last year's (provided it decides to show up by late June). Then come mid August, autumn would've showed up in its unwanted glory and if we are lucky we'll see a "heat wave" in Sept and then back to the same dark and dreary winters.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1939 posts
1209 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
LOL @ all my neighbors clearing ice off their cars cause they can't park in their garages cause they're full of crap. Meanwhile my car is nice and clean in my garage. :)