Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2019 2:06 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
JLY311 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2013 4:00 pm
thxs for the update!
You are welcome! I actually thought that there is nothing wrong with me mentioning when I see something appears on the GFS, BUT I just wish to clearly state that it is a mere possibility because they change on us too often. Every now and then the GFS predicts a weather event with good accuracy more than 5 days in advance and this often happens when other models agree on the solution so I won't exactly ignore the long range GFS all together. But since it doesn't always work out that well, I will only make a quick mention of it when I see something in the GFS, but then wait and watch to see if it materializes. As for now, nothing I can see in the GFS even worth mentioning.
gh05t wrote:
Dec 15th, 2013 3:56 pm
This is good news. I'll be flying out of Pearson on Friday afternoon. :)
Ok great. Noone wants their holiday plans wrecked by bad timing of a storm.

Also to note, this storm that just finished, which ended up turning into a large one for some people came out of nowhere in less than 5 days, so just because I don't see anything for 2 weeks in the GFS does not mean nothing big can happen. I have to watch and see as a storm can appear out of nowhere in the model within 5 days.
blahhh
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
39499 posts
5839 upvotes
King City
I see that on the 20th its only rain. No snow? If so that's good :razz:
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
djemzine wrote:
Dec 15th, 2013 4:15 pm
I see that on the 20th its only rain. No snow? If so that's good :razz:
That's exactly true. Simply put, that storm that was supposed to be our next big snowstorm, got a lot weaker, moved north, and drew up milder air for the 20th. But also not too much rain, so the snow should stay in place so we still get a white Christmas.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2011
2240 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Dec 15th, 2013 4:56 pm
That's exactly true. Simply put, that storm that was supposed to be our next big snowstorm, got a lot weaker, moved north, and drew up milder air for the 20th. But also not too much rain, so the snow should stay in place so we still get a white Christmas.
Lets draw the verdict on this a week from today !
We now live in a Nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.
- Christopher Hedges
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
WildWolf wrote:
Dec 15th, 2013 5:00 pm
Lets draw the verdict on this a week from today !
I guess so lol. I would be so annoyed if a huge deluge of rain came and washed away all this snow we just got, that I have so long been waiting for. It came in time to give us a white Christmas, now stay right there and don't move snow!
[IMG]http://doggybagonline.com/dbblog/wp-con ... aining.jpg[/IMG]

Earlier there were signs of a large scale cold pattern settling in across the continent, but the models have backed away from it. I guess that is a good thing because too much of anything isn't a good thing.
blahhh
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17729 posts
1760 upvotes
Space for rent
I found the snow storm we got pretty lackluster compared to last year. Actually I. No small part that WS due to the prompt action of the salters and plowers. Didn't have much snow on the dvplat night and even less this morning. Keep the roads clear but temperature low enough so the stuff stays and were all happy.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Supercooled wrote:
Dec 15th, 2013 5:14 pm
I found the snow storm we got pretty lackluster compared to last year. Actually I. No small part that WS due to the prompt action of the salters and plowers. Didn't have much snow on the dvplat night and even less this morning. Keep the roads clear but temperature low enough so the stuff stays and were all happy.
This storm was very lake effect oriented. I think part of the reason for that was it being so cold. Some may be familiar with the fact about colder weather generally making it harder for copious amounts of snow to fall because cold air generally is a low source for moisture. But once the snow does get here, with these temperatures, salters have a hard time melting the snow because it is too cold for it to work well. I am not sure what the lowest temperature salt can melt snow at. I should look to find out.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5503 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto
by looking at the 5 day forecast in cp24 website, i think its going to be a good week. i cant trust it yet coz u recommended different site.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2013 6:46 pm
by looking at the 5 day forecast in cp24 website, i think its going to be a good week. i cant trust it yet coz u recommended different site.
I recommended Environment Canada. They are not in it for the mula, they are in it solely to provide the public with weather information as accurately as possible. OF course, I mostly resort to actual forecast models like the NAM, RAP, GFS ect, because by comparing them and making use of them, you can see I beat environment Canada at alerting people about the storm well before it started. I beat them to it by a long shot! I was the only one that alerted people about the storm before it started. the rest of the sources waited till several dozen accidents and 10 cm later!

And yes, it will not be a very cold week like we have been seeing. I think that after this upcoming 7 day period, it will be back to several degrees below freezing.
blahhh
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
39499 posts
5839 upvotes
King City
Light snow/scattered flurries close to 1CM at the Hill.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
djemzine wrote:
Dec 15th, 2013 8:57 pm
Light snow/scattered flurries close to 1CM at the Hill.
O yes. There is an arc of snow moving through. It was super heavy before it arrived in the Hill, but once it got there it had already weakened a little. It'll give T-dot a bit of snow before it disappears.
blahhh
Dec 8, 2008
704 posts
24 upvotes
looks like the white stuff is here to stay till spring. No more green grass for a while.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
raps4lyfe wrote:
Dec 15th, 2013 9:31 pm
looks like the white stuff is here to stay till spring. No more green grass for a while.
Yep. I would say that's a safe bet. As long as we don't get a prolonged period of warm. I have read that Toronto's humid continental climate typically features periods in mid winter with little to no snow. We can end up with no snow at any time this winter if it warms up on us. So because Toronto really actually isn't that cold of a climate, you can never be assured a snowpack staying in place.

If global warming actually comes true as they say, when they say, in a few decades, snow o the ground in winter will be an ocasional event, not a season altogether like it mostly has been.
But I have not noticed much change in climate since I was born so I don't beleive in this global warming nonesense lol
blahhh
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
4004 posts
220 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
So much snow, my car got stuck all over the place.
because ur mom said so