Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2020 9:48 am
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21166 posts
10601 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
BeapChastard wrote: they can't park in their garages cause they're full of crap.
Bruh beanie babies making a comeback. Youll see.

Gonna cash in big time.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4661 posts
2063 upvotes
Mississauga
Yup. Epic logic fill your garage with crap worth hundreds of dollas while your cars worth tens of thousands of dollars sit in the driveway.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5465 posts
1299 upvotes
Mississauga
mrweather wrote: Yup. Epic logic fill your garage with crap worth hundreds of dollas while your cars worth tens of thousands of dollars sit in the driveway.
not everyone can afford double garage.... if you have 2 cars....lol
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5585 posts
1247 upvotes
GTA
Did anyone notice the thunder last night sounded very different?

But also that power went out right after one of those thunders? a few times actually, but came right back.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5482 posts
5569 upvotes
Toronto
LongLiveRFD wrote: Did anyone notice the thunder last night sounded very different?

But also that power went out right after one of those thunders? a few times actually, but came right back.
Not sure if srs... Branches and trees breaking and falling often sounds like thunder, and likely can coincide with power outages (for obvious reasons.)

I did not observe or hear any actual lightning or thunder last night when I was by the window or outside.
A glass of wine with you, sir, and the ladies I'll enjoy.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8589 posts
1457 upvotes
Toronto
I saw lightning as I was heading out at 2 am.
Didn't hear any thunder.
Lights were out in some places but gradually they were coming back on.
Streets were pretty clear at that hour.
Feb 16, 2018
768 posts
731 upvotes
BeapChastard wrote: LOL @ all my neighbors clearing ice off their cars cause they can't park in their garages cause they're full of crap. Meanwhile my car is nice and clean in my garage. :)
Garages are meant for extra storage space, not for holding cars. Even if I had the space in my garage which I don't, I would never park my car in there

I get into this battle with my wife every winter, lol
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5585 posts
1247 upvotes
GTA
hoob wrote: Not sure if srs... Branches and trees breaking and falling often sounds like thunder, and likely can coincide with power outages (for obvious reasons.)

I did not observe or hear any actual lightning or thunder last night when I was by the window or outside.
Negative.

First I saw the lightning, then anticipated the bang. But instead, I heard this weird humming noise...

Then the power went out briefly, at least 3 times.

If branches fell, power wouldn't come back in munites. If it weren't physical it must have been magnetic influences.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
9346 posts
4482 upvotes
wirebound wrote: roads are pretty much clear, traffic is lighter than usual, maybe driving a bit slower but it looks good.
Glad I didn’t stay home. Weather was nice thing close to what the media was making it out to be but I guess downtown never really gets the harsh weather.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5482 posts
5569 upvotes
Toronto
LongLiveRFD wrote: Negative.

First I saw the lightning, then anticipated the bang. But instead, I heard this weird humming noise...

Then the power went out briefly, at least 3 times.

If branches fell, power wouldn't come back in munites. If it weren't physical it must have been magnetic influences.
Still not sure if you're serious, what you are describing is textbook ice storm behavior that has nothing to do with lighting/thunder:

1. Branches falling on wires == short circuit arcing/flashing that, in foggy/rainy weather, can look like lighting
2. Short circuit triggers localized variances in electrical patterns, causing transformers to humm/etc
3. If the branch/short is severe enough, transformer stations will isolate/disconnect the affected line
4. After a certain period (60 seconds, etc) transformer station will reconnect the segment
5. If by then branch has fallen to ground, or is no longer contacting wires, power returns normally

Rinse, lather and repeat the above for branches all over your neighborhood swinging in the wind and contacting wires, you have exactly what you describe:

* Flashing lights in the sky due to arcing
* Humming sounds due to transformer overloads, power redirection, harmonics on wires, etc
* Power fluctuations, temporary cutouts, and auto-reconnection

Note that it's quite possible your area did experience lightning and thunder (mine didn't) it just that this isn't the only possible explanation.
A glass of wine with you, sir, and the ladies I'll enjoy.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5585 posts
1247 upvotes
GTA
hoob wrote: Still not sure if you're serious, what you are describing is textbook ice storm behavior that has nothing to do with lighting/thunder:

1. Branches falling on wires == short circuit arcing/flashing that, in foggy/rainy weather, can look like lighting
2. Short circuit triggers localized variances in electrical patterns, causing transformers to humm/etc
3. If the branch/short is severe enough, transformer stations will isolate/disconnect the affected line
4. After a certain period (60 seconds, etc) transformer station will reconnect the segment
5. If by then branch has fallen to ground, or is no longer contacting wires, power returns normally

Rinse, lather and repeat the above for branches all over your neighborhood swinging in the wind and contacting wires, you have exactly what you describe:

* Flashing lights in the sky due to arcing
* Humming sounds due to transformer overloads, power redirection, harmonics on wires, etc
* Power fluctuations, temporary cutouts, and auto-reconnection

Note that it's quite possible your area did experience lightning and thunder (mine didn't) it just that this isn't the only possible explanation.
Yes I understand the load variance and humming may be correlated. Yes the humming sounds too electrical to be naturally occurring.

That's implying a major Scarborough substation blow up affecting North York power. The weird thing is, the lightning and the humming looked/sounded like being far away, >10KM. After a small delay, my light started flickering and power interrupted.

So the load variance must be citywide and it's caused by local branches falling?? I don't recall another instance like this...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

speedyforme