Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2019 2:06 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4100 posts
911 upvotes
Sask.
Warm here in Saskatoon, too. It's plus two.
On the 30th and 31st, we had -40 and -30 windchill readings, so quite the switch.
Apr 5, 2017
298 posts
230 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
rocking23nf wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 3:00 pm
heat wave in Edmonton today, +7 right now, might get to +9 or +10, we are usually -8 right now.
This whole winter to me here has been a heat wave & I mainly work outdoors all year long. I recall only 3 days this year where I experienced minor discomfort and that was only cold fingers/toes but to be fair I have boots and mitts good for a mission on Mars. We've also only had 2-3 notable dumps of snow so far that actually somewhat stayed (obviously now its melting). Looks like we're going back to -5 to -15 range next week which is where I wish it would stay all winter long to keep things frozen/clean not greasy/dirty, especially the amount of salt/gravel and calcium chloride mixture they're laying down on the roads. ~250 vehicle collisions over the weekend and in to New Years Day including a tanker truck being struck by a CN train near where I work, killing the driver.

It went from feeling like -25 to -30 up till New Years Eve, to +5 and even +10 when in the sun today. World's always changing, is what it is. Up sides I welcome are: lower heating bill, less vehicle fuel consumption, feel like doing more. Coastal cities are going to get most of the impact of climate change / continental shift.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9633 posts
2280 upvotes
tehwegz wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 10:03 pm
This whole winter to me here has been a heat wave & I mainly work outdoors all year long. I recall only 3 days this year where I experienced minor discomfort and that was only cold fingers/toes but to be fair I have boots and mitts good for a mission on Mars. We've also only had 2-3 notable dumps of snow so far that actually somewhat stayed (obviously now its melting). Looks like we're going back to -5 to -15 range next week which is where I wish it would stay all winter long to keep things frozen/clean not greasy/dirty, especially the amount of salt/gravel and calcium chloride mixture they're laying down on the roads. ~250 vehicle collisions over the weekend and in to New Years Day including a tanker truck being struck by a CN train near where I work, killing the driver.

It went from feeling like -25 to -30 up till New Years Eve, to +5 and even +10 when in the sun today. World's always changing, is what it is. Up sides I welcome are: lower heating bill, less vehicle fuel consumption, feel like doing more. Coastal cities are going to get most of the impact of climate change / continental shift.
this is not abnormal for Edmonton, I have lived here 15 years now, we haven't had a daytime high below -10 yet this winter which is nice. people are always shocked when I tell them the winter classic was played in November in Edmonton, and it was -20 something that day. Winter starts Nov 1st to me in Edmonton, and ends March 31st, give or take 2 weeks on any of those dates.
Apr 10, 2018
53 posts
4 upvotes
I had a fair amount of snow in recent days, and more will be coming to my region (St. John's, NL) on Sunday. Right now, it's colder temperatures with sunshine and a few clouds.

Looking back at recent years, it seems as if the first big snowfall for St. John's usually happens in January. In a typical St. John's winter, usually only one, maybe two blizzards occur. After Valentine's Day, temperatures usually start creeping back up, especially since spring is just over a month away at that point, and the days are getting longer.

April tends to have mostly freezing rain and slush in my hometown, but usually the last full week of April tends to have the first regular occurrence of double-digit temperatures of the spring.

Last winter had lack of snow, and greatly warm temperatures in my hometown. Plus, warmer temperatures in April that year, including a rare two days with temperatures reaching 20 degrees Celsius.

Either way, I hate January, let alone hate winter. Bring on April already.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9633 posts
2280 upvotes
JonS51963 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 11:02 am
I had a fair amount of snow in recent days, and more will be coming to my region (St. John's, NL) on Sunday. Right now, it's colder temperatures with sunshine and a few clouds.

Looking back at recent years, it seems as if the first big snowfall for St. John's usually happens in January. In a typical St. John's winter, usually only one, maybe two blizzards occur. After Valentine's Day, temperatures usually start creeping back up, especially since spring is just over a month away at that point, and the days are getting longer.

April tends to have mostly freezing rain and slush in my hometown, but usually the last full week of April tends to have the first regular occurrence of double-digit temperatures of the spring.

Last winter had lack of snow, and greatly warm temperatures in my hometown. Plus, warmer temperatures in April that year, including a rare two days with temperatures reaching 20 degrees Celsius.

Either way, I hate January, let alone hate winter. Bring on April already.
I was in deer lake and Stephenville last June, and it was like 3 degrees, windy, rainy, and even snowed pretty much the whole week I was there.

I grew up in port au port, we used to have some crazy snow storms, you really could not see the houses next door, snow drifts up the roof.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5657 posts
748 upvotes
Scarborough
Some conflicting amounts of snowfall for tomorrow for Toronto/GTA...........some saying 2-5cm some saying 5-10cm

OP, what's your opinion ??
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20273 posts
4238 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Winter is terrible this year. Very few snow and temps in the freezing mark. Hopefully next two months will bring us true winter.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1556 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
sandikosh wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 1:19 pm
Winter is terrible this year. Very few snow and temps in the freezing mark. Hopefully next two months will bring us true winter.
I agree with this. It just doesn't feel like a Canadian winter. I know I'm in the minority here but if we're gonna have a winter I want a true winter otherwise I'd just want summer all year long. But what I want is irrelevant. Nature will give us whatever nature will give us. I just hope there's some snow before spring comes. Nothing like a nice snow day to make you feel all cozy and warm at home.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
2446 posts
2408 upvotes
Why the hell did I not read this thread until AFTER I bought a snowblower

:mad:
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13317 posts
1639 upvotes
Mississauga
angryaudifanatic wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 8:19 pm
Why the hell did I not read this thread until AFTER I bought a snowblower

:mad:
It's not like you aren't ever going to have snow in CANADA?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
2446 posts
2408 upvotes
weedb0y wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 9:07 pm
Besides the point. Needing a snow blower vs just a shovel is what I'm thinking about.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2382 posts
645 upvotes
Calgary
weedb0y wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 9:07 pm
angryaudifanatic wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 9:28 pm
Besides the point. Needing a snow blower vs just a shovel is what I'm thinking about.
And maybe cheaper the next year or newer models come out.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2005
2190 posts
117 upvotes
So how bad is Saturday going to be really?
Software Engineer

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)