Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2019 2:06 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20269 posts
4229 upvotes
Poormond Hill
We now in July. Just August and September and back to our regular channel of beautiful cool weather!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
8658 posts
3065 upvotes
Toronto
test9251 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2019 8:30 am
I have no idea why people complain about the heat during summer months.
i prefer a little "too hot" over "too cold" but i can understand folks not liking the heat. my neighbour doesn't have ac and she looked like she was about to faint when i saw her yesterday.

on another note, they are blasting the AC in our office/ building and many people are freezing.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5495 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2019 2:30 pm
i prefer a little "too hot" over "too cold" but i can understand folks not liking the heat. my neighbour doesn't have ac and she looked like she was about to faint when i saw her yesterday.

on another note, they are blasting the AC in our office/ building and many people are freezing.
too hot is bearable than too cold. but anyway..
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1481 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto
test9251 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2019 9:20 pm
That is your opinion...again.

I had a headache yesterday that started late afternoon and I put that down to the heat.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17722 posts
1757 upvotes
Space for rent
cardle wrote:
Jul 5th, 2019 9:14 am
That is your opinion...again.

I had a headache yesterday that started late afternoon and I put that down to the heat.
Figure out how to make fire radiate cool instead of warm and you’re golden.

No electricity people are screwed in the hot. Not true when. When the temps plummet.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9889 posts
7177 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Supercooled wrote:
Jul 5th, 2019 11:49 am

No electricity people are screwed in the hot. Not true when. When the temps plummet.
Really... ?

In our climate you got no electricity you pretty much gonna freeze to death when it gets well below zero / freezing.

I am old enough to remember when pretty much no one had AC

And some folks houses didn’t have central heating ... just wood stoves (my Grandparents house)

It was not a pleasant way to live.

Too dang hot in the summertime, and unbearable cold in the wintertime ... mornings were particularly bad as by then the fire had gone out... and took hours for the house to warm up to any degree

We have no idea how lucky we are.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17722 posts
1757 upvotes
Space for rent
PointsHubby wrote:
Jul 6th, 2019 8:59 pm
Really... ?

In our climate you got no electricity you pretty much gonna freeze to death when it gets well below zero / freezing.

I am old enough to remember when pretty much no one had AC

And some folks houses didn’t have central heating ... just wood stoves (my Grandparents house)

It was not a pleasant way to live.

Too dang hot in the summertime, and unbearable cold in the wintertime ... mornings were particularly bad as by then the fire had gone out... and took hours for the house to warm up to any degree

We have no idea how lucky we are.
Look sir madam, I am from south east Asia and we had hot summers like you wouldn’t imagine but it’s a new beast now what we are facing. The type of weather we are getting is not the same as the 80s or whatever era you are fondly remembering but I’d wager between the two winter is much more manageable. We have clothing that can witharwnd South Pole weather and if you light a fire it’s probably comfortable. Not sure what we can do as temperatures rise every year. 45c is not normal. India saw 50c. My god that’s hot enough to melt the damn street never what it does to our body. Our internal items is cooler than the ambient for crying out bout!!!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
8570 posts
3629 upvotes
test9251 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2019 9:20 pm
How is this possible? You can always put on more clothing to keep warm. There is nothing you can do if it’s too hot.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8284 posts
1306 upvotes
Toronto
Thank the Lord for what we gots.
Very first world problem type compared to what others be getting/have.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9889 posts
7177 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Supercooled wrote:
Jul 5th, 2019 11:49 am

Supercooled wrote:
Jul 7th, 2019 3:14 am
Look sir madam, I am from south east Asia and we had hot summers like you wouldn’t imagine but it’s a new beast now what we are facing. The type of weather we are getting is not the same as the 80s or whatever era you are fondly remembering but I’d wager between the two winter is much more manageable. We have clothing that can witharwnd South Pole weather and if you light a fire it’s probably comfortable. Not sure what we can do as temperatures rise every year. 45c is not normal. India saw 50c. My god that’s hot enough to melt the damn street never what it does to our body. Our internal items is cooler than the ambient for crying out bout!!!
You sir, or madam ...

Are rambling.

Going on between hot & cold ... and making no sense in either state.

I was referring to one point you made, that makes NO SENSE whatsoever ... given THIS CLIMATE ... CANADA

One can survive without electricity in Summer ... just ask any Camper.

Whole other ball of wax come Winter.

To think that Winter is easier than Summer ... IS RIDICULOUS

Ask anyone who’s lived thru a MAJOR POWER OUTAGE (Days or Weeks ... not Hours)

The January 1998 North American Ice Storm comes to mind
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/January ... _ice_storm

Versus, the Northeast Blackout of 2003
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northea ... ut_of_2003

Ask anyone in Quebec or Ontario
Which one they’d prefer and they’ll no doubt regale you with stories of Great Summer Backyard BBQs, and Parties in the dark
Vs Life threatening situations that were unbearable due to there being NO ELECTRICITY

For most ... NO ELECTRICITY = NO HEAT
And major disturbances to their lives
And DAMAGE to their homes
NO PICNIC !!!!

Now you want to talk ... Climate Change in general
That’s a whole other ball of wax

The earth is getting warmer
The Polar Ice Caps are melting
And that accounts for some very wacky weather
Including more hurricanes, tornadoes, hotter summer’s ... and crazy out of the norm cold too
- 40 C in Eastern Ontario has never been “the norm”
But it’s been seen several times this last decade
Look up polar vortex.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5495 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto
JayLove06 wrote:
Jul 7th, 2019 8:17 am
How is this possible? You can always put on more clothing to keep warm. There is nothing you can do if it’s too hot.
well.. if its too hot, you can move around, no frostbite, everyone is out, you see lots of people in good mood, just need shades/cap/hat and water.

if its too cold, outdoor population decreases, risks of frostbite, you have to wear 2-3 kg of clothes/jacket (less flexibility), i dont think there is any advantage in winter months.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3285 posts
520 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Back on topic, today is straight up AWESOME outside. Sunny. Cool. Breezy. Especially after what we had earlier in the week.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
8570 posts
3629 upvotes
willdacanucker wrote:
Jul 7th, 2019 1:33 pm
Back on topic, today is straight up AWESOME outside. Sunny. Cool. Breezy. Especially after what we had earlier in the week.
This is how it should be IMO.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
8570 posts
3629 upvotes
test9251 wrote:
Jul 7th, 2019 1:25 pm
well.. if its too hot, you can move around, no frostbite, everyone is out, you see lots of people in good mood, just need shades/cap/hat and water.

if its too cold, outdoor population decreases, risks of frostbite, you have to wear 2-3 kg of clothes/jacket (less flexibility), i dont think there is any advantage in winter months.
We just aren't going to agree on this.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5495 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto
JayLove06 wrote:
Jul 7th, 2019 2:06 pm
We just aren't going to agree on this.
yea lets enjoy this very good weather