Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2019 2:19 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20235 posts
4182 upvotes
Poormond Hill
test9251 wrote:
Jul 7th, 2019 1:25 pm
well.. if its too hot, you can move around, no frostbite, everyone is out, you see lots of people in good mood, just need shades/cap/hat and water.

if its too cold, outdoor population decreases, risks of frostbite, you have to wear 2-3 kg of clothes/jacket (less flexibility), i dont think there is any advantage in winter months.
In winter you are not overcomed by the odor of people sweating.
In winter people use less cologne/perfume.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17560 posts
1715 upvotes
Space for rent
PointsHubby wrote:
Jul 7th, 2019 1:04 pm
You sir, or madam ...

Are rambling.

Going on between hot & cold ... and making no sense in either state.

I was referring to one point you made, that makes NO SENSE whatsoever ... given THIS CLIMATE ... CANADA

One can survive without electricity in Summer ... just ask any Camper.

Whole other ball of wax come Winter.

To think that Winter is easier than Summer ... IS RIDICULOUS

Ask anyone who’s lived thru a MAJOR POWER OUTAGE (Days or Weeks ... not Hours)

The January 1998 North American Ice Storm comes to mind
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/January ... _ice_storm

Versus, the Northeast Blackout of 2003
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northea ... ut_of_2003

Ask anyone in Quebec or Ontario
Which one they’d prefer and they’ll no doubt regale you with stories of Great Summer Backyard BBQs, and Parties in the dark
Vs Life threatening situations that were unbearable due to there being NO ELECTRICITY

For most ... NO ELECTRICITY = NO HEAT
And major disturbances to their lives
And DAMAGE to their homes
NO PICNIC !!!!

Now you want to talk ... Climate Change in general
That’s a whole other ball of wax

The earth is getting warmer
The Polar Ice Caps are melting
And that accounts for some very wacky weather
Including more hurricanes, tornadoes, hotter summer’s ... and crazy out of the norm cold too
- 40 C in Eastern Ontario has never been “the norm”
But it’s been seen several times this last decade
Look up polar vortex.
Actually my argument has always been that under the same circumstance winter survival has a far greater percentage for success than heat. People die from the cold because they are ill prepared but given enough eduction and time as a species we can survive more in the cold. Both are scary propositions but I remember watching s documentary where there are people living under ground in the badlands of Australian outback where they contend with scorching heat almost year round.

Personally given a choicebibwiuldnprefer the south pole than the Sahara desert at least we still have snow to melt for water.

It’s frightening to see how the rise in temperature has decimated the life line of Indian villages of their water source. Now imagine that happening globally I don’t think bbq parties will be on anyone’s minds.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
3901 posts
618 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Jul 7th, 2019 8:44 pm
Personally given a choicebibwiuldnprefer the south pole than the Sahara desert at least we still have snow to melt for water.
Only if you have enough energy. If you have energy to melt snow for water and crops, then you can do a lot of things in the desert too.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5490 posts
795 upvotes
Toronto
sandikosh wrote:
Jul 7th, 2019 7:11 pm
In winter you are not overcomed by the odor of people sweating.
In winter people use less cologne/perfume.
in winter, many people dont take shower
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4092 posts
899 upvotes
Sask.
So icky muggy here, both outside and in.

Saskatoon at 9 p.m., humidex is 30, temp 25.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17560 posts
1715 upvotes
Space for rent
natalka wrote:
Jul 7th, 2019 10:55 pm
So icky muggy here, both outside and in.

Saskatoon at 9 p.m., humidex is 30, temp 25.

I am deathly afraid of humidity. It makes me feel like Im choking on my own muccus and my breathing become so laboured.

At the same time if it’s too cold I’ll get the sniffles and actually start having a runny nose. It’s just a no win situation for me. I’ve been told by a lot of people that I know the abrupt change from hot to cold triggers this for them. In the winter I can come in from outside into a warm apartment with no ill effects so go figure.
Oct 9, 2017
154 posts
5 upvotes
Mississauga
Heat and cold tolerance depends on what climate you are used to for long periods of time. In Australia, a high temperature of 10c is pretty cold for them because homes in Australia are not designed to keep heat in like in Canada. Their homes get cold and it becomes very difficult to be comfortable. In summer, their homes release heat and keep cool naturally. Opposite in Canada. That's why 30c in a Canadian home becomes very uncomfortable because our home designs are to keep heat in.

Also, if you are used to living in a desert climate like Arizona, your body naturally adjusts to the climate after a long time. The body adjusts. Just like 2 celsius high in Toronto can feel downright balmy after 2 weeks of polar vortex.

Doesn't mean 40c isn't dangerous for everyone, of course it is, but the body naturally adjusts as much as it can. You still have to stay hydrated and cool as much as you can. Same goes for winter, living in the arctic you still need your parka and gloves and thermo boots etc...but people in Canada's arctic because acclimitized to the cold in a way.

Toronto has all 4 seasons so it's difficult for our bodies to adjust because there isn't enough time to do it except maybe Winter because it's the longest season.
Dec 10, 2014
571 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's so nice today, literally had all my windows open and cool breeze coming in through. Feels like fall already. Although after tomorrow it's supposed to warm up again.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11383 posts
455 upvotes
McGarnagle wrote:
Aug 9th, 2019 7:58 pm
It's so nice today, literally had all my windows open and cool breeze coming in through. Feels like fall already. Although after tomorrow it's supposed to warm up again.
Don’t people who love summer have their windows open all season long?
Feb 16, 2018
469 posts
413 upvotes
mbg wrote:
Aug 9th, 2019 8:10 pm
Nope. I rarely have my windows open during summer months and I love summer. The cool breeze in the air today made it a perfect day to open all the windows and air out the house
Dec 10, 2014
571 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mbg wrote:
Aug 9th, 2019 8:10 pm
I've had the ac on all summer. Today was the first day where it felt like there was no humidity
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11383 posts
455 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote:
Aug 9th, 2019 8:15 pm
Nope. I rarely have my windows open during summer months and I love summer. The cool breeze in the air today made it a perfect day to open all the windows and air out the house
So what do you love about summer if not the weather outside?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20235 posts
4182 upvotes
Poormond Hill
It is beautiful. Opened my car windows as I drove and took an extra 40 minutes driving around feeling that wonderful cool breeze slapping me happily upon my face. Winter is coming!!!!!!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2017
1419 posts
626 upvotes
It was cold last night lol its jacket weather already :(
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2201 posts
628 upvotes
time to break out the canada goose.
“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. -Wayne Gretzky"
- Michael Scott