Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2020 12:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Zephyr22b wrote: Wait until your neighbours salt their sidewalks. Then get a broom and sweep all the salt onto your sidewalk
:D
Great idea. Lol more salt for the popcorn!
cheapmeister wrote: Mix the table salt with hot water and pour it over the walkway. This will stretch out your salt supply to cover more ground!
Ok plan even better now ;)
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8886 posts
2346 upvotes
London
Ok, so what does this mean for someone leaving on a flight Sunday morning from Pearson? Will air traffic be cancelled, delayed, or ???
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
973 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Ottomaddox wrote: Ok, so what does this mean for someone leaving on a flight Sunday morning from Pearson? Will air traffic be cancelled, delayed, or ???
That would be a very good bet I'd place. ;) Weather delays through several airports with this one are pretty much a given...
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Ottomaddox wrote: Ok, so what does this mean for someone leaving on a flight Sunday morning from Pearson? Will air traffic be cancelled, delayed, or ???
This is a tough one. I am sure that it won't be quite as bad as a huge snowstorm because there won't be bulky snow cluttering the runways nor will there be low visibility. They may delay a fair bit to deice the planes and slippery conditions could be a hazard so maybe that will be enough to cause huge problems. Too bad typhoonz isn't logged on here now who works in aviation. He would tell you more about what an ice storm does to flights. what I would do is wait and see if other users in this thread know more from experience and/or google example freezing rain situations with flights in the past.

Heads up, there is freezing rain moving through the whole city right now so conditions are getting rather tricky out.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Newly updated ice storm map by a meteorologist from eastern Ontario.
Craig... ‏@itsalleternal 51m
Updated my #icestorm threat map. Added an area in Oklahoma near 1 inch of ice and refined some boundaries. pic.twitter.com/9guILVmJJ1
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bb-dCJACQAEQzIp.jpg:large[/IMG]
Notice in this particular map, that Toronto is bullseye for the absolute worst of this storm.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2226 posts
702 upvotes
No precipitation appears to be falling right now but the ground is definitely a bit icy
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Zephyr22b wrote: No precipitation appears to be falling right now but the ground is definitely a bit icy
I don't see much in the radar now. Precipitation is tapering to scattered showers now. We are moving into the break that will last till some time tomorrow afternoon when the ice resumes and the storm begins.

Just seeing all these maps showing our risk of such an epic event makes all this so exciting! I have never witnessed something so amazing in terms of weather so I can't wait to see it.
blahhh
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19126 posts
6000 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: I don't see much in the radar now. Precipitation is tapering to scattered showers now. We are moving into the break that will last till some time tomorrow afternoon when the ice resumes and the storm begins.

Just seeing all these maps showing our risk of such an epic event makes all this so exciting! I have never witnessed something so amazing in terms of weather so I can't wait to see it.
Man you're going to be the most disappointed person if at least half a dozen cars and one house don't get crushed by falling tree limbs. Personally I am "rooting" for a large tree limb to fall on my detached garage, my back yard is well forested and I want to build a new garage. :|
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4064 posts
399 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Lots of snow in Ottawa! The roads were a mess which made getting to an exam very troublesome!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
BinaryJay wrote: Man you're going to be the most disappointed person if at least half a dozen cars and one house don't get crushed by falling tree limbs. Personally I am "rooting" for a large tree limb to fall on my detached garage, my back yard is well forested and I want to build a new garage. :|
It is kinda the Storm chasers syndrome like tornado watching. we don't want bad things to happen but epic weather events are fascinating and amazing to see. I just find I have been craving to see something major happen with the weather. If it happened too often I wouldn't like it anymore though.

Looks like Ottawa is done with snow for now. Maybe just light snow is left there.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4064 posts
399 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: It is kinda the Storm chasers syndrome like tornado watching. we don't want bad things to happen but epic weather events are fascinating and amazing to see. I just find I have been craving to see something major happen with the weather. If it happened too often I wouldn't like it anymore though.

Looks like Ottawa is done with snow for now. Maybe just light snow is left there.
Looks like Ottawa may get another band of snow coming in, in half an hour or so. Nothing too serious though by the looks of things on the radar:

https://flightplanning.navcanada.ca/cgi ... /radar.cgi
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Typhoonz wrote: Looks like Ottawa may get another band of snow coming in, in half an hour or so. Nothing too serious though by the looks of things on the radar:

https://flightplanning.navcanada.ca/cgi ... /radar.cgi
Yes. I was going to say. I do notice another band moving east. It is what was responsible for the increased icing wasserware observed north of Toronto. The band of precipitation may still arrive comparitively light as I said earlier. Will seem like nothing compared to what passed through from 8:30 to 10:30 in Ottawa. That band of snow looked very heavy. The last one coming is light with localized pockets of heavy snow, but not widespread like before.
blahhh
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19126 posts
6000 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Still all liquid here, ground still just slush and water. Garage still intact.