Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2019 1:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11587 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
BinaryJay wrote:
Dec 20th, 2013 11:09 pm
Still all liquid here, ground still just slush and water. Garage still intact.
I did twitter search and saw a lot tweeted about "icy" and "Toronto" and also have icy conditions outside here near Donlands stn too so it is getting to more and more parts of Toronto. You are near the lake and so you are safer.

I am really worried about High Park where I visit often. I worry that my favorite places on the south part will get damaged by the ice storm. My trees and stuff I visit often. the poor squirrels will be badly affected too and their nests will be frozen shut lol Hopefully it will be protected by its proximity to the lake. It would be tragic to lose a lot of high Park's scenery to this storm.
blahhh
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19051 posts
5943 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Dec 20th, 2013 11:14 pm
I did twitter search and saw a lot tweeted about "icy" and "Toronto" and also have icy conditions outside here near Donlands stn too so it is getting to more and more parts of Toronto. You are near the lake and so you are safer.

I am really worried about High Park where I visit often. I worry that my favorite places on the south part will get damaged by the ice storm. My trees and stuff I visit often. the poor squirrels will be badly affected too and their nests will be frozen shut lol Hopefully it will be protected by its proximity to the lake. It would be tragic to lose a lot of high Park's scenery to this storm.
High park will be fine, it's walking distance from me. =) It has been around a long time and has been through all of the storms and every spring it comes back as beautiful as the year before.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11587 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
BinaryJay wrote:
Dec 20th, 2013 11:25 pm
High park will be fine, it's walking distance from me. =) It has been around a long time and has been through all of the storms and every spring it comes back as beautiful as the year before.
Ok thanks. that's good to know. Although I wonder if Toronto in general has been through a 2 inch ice storm in recent time. Time to Google that ;) I know it holds out well in powerful winds multiple 15mm freezing rain events and pounding blizzards but I do hope that it fairs well in this storm if we get 2 inches. We have now all seen the pictures I posted of 1 and inch ice storms. Let's hope for the best in this because ice storms of this scale and intensity seem extremely rare in giant agglomerations like Toronto.
blahhh
Feb 28, 2010
121 posts
3 upvotes
I need your advice OP, please! I am coming from London to Toronto tomorrow on VIA Rail. The train leaves London around 7pm and arrives Toronto 10pm. Do you think trains will be running? Will they be on time?

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
8857 posts
3962 upvotes
Had to drive in this crap form Toronto to Niagara falls/Buffalo.
Banned
Jun 2, 2009
2738 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
Toronto/ scarborough/ Markham is all ice right now they had to close the 407 because so many people were in the ditch..drive carefully out there folks!!
Idle hands are the devils playthings
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7766 posts
161 upvotes
HeavenLeigh wrote:
Dec 21st, 2013 12:55 am
Toronto/ scarborough/ Markham is all ice right now they had to close the 407 because so many people were in the ditch..drive carefully out there folks!!
I am not one to drive slowly during storms but I took the 404 south to 407 EB this evening and people were driving the normal speeds on the 407 ramp this the cray freezing rain...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7087 posts
366 upvotes
York
Damn. Ice everywhere. They're calling for 20+ mm of rain tomorrow.. means the ice is gonna melt and then re freeze? How do we get freezing rain? Warm layer of air where it's raining, cold layer underneath it at Earth's surface, gets frozen on contact with anything it touches?
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
1438 posts
49 upvotes
My dad flys out tomorrow night hopefully no delays for him >_<
Sep 20, 2013
263 posts
20 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Dec 17th, 2013 8:56 am
And still falling. Wow, I am surprised how it is back like this again! It just keeps coming down.
[IMG]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fkcbn4m8wgU/U ... 0/snow.jpg[/IMG]
Is that Soul stuck? haha

Man, it's back already. The streets are brutal with ice every where. I wore my sneakers out last night and I was just a complete mess trying to balance myself but I looked like a drunk. I took the trash out this morning and wore my winter boots, wow, what a difference. Some parts were still slippery, but definitely more control.

Winters on cars - winters on feet FTW!
Sep 20, 2013
263 posts
20 upvotes
dankup wrote:
Dec 21st, 2013 1:33 am
Damn. Ice everywhere. They're calling for 20+ mm of rain tomorrow.. means the ice is gonna melt and then re freeze? How do we get freezing rain? Warm layer of air where it's raining, cold layer underneath it at Earth's surface, gets frozen on contact with anything it touches?
Sep 20, 2013
263 posts
20 upvotes
I found a video of ILJ&F.

haha

I can totally see him behind a laptop doing his research and posting it here for us:

Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4102 posts
911 upvotes
Sask.
Hoping all of you keep safe out there with the freezing rain; I know it can be awful.

Glad we don't have that here, just a regular amount of snow, but there's a -41 windchill now, temp is -29.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11587 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
markham1 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2013 12:32 am
I need your advice OP, please! I am coming from London to Toronto tomorrow on VIA Rail. The train leaves London around 7pm and arrives Toronto 10pm. Do you think trains will be running? Will they be on time?

Thanks!
There should not be a problem with cancallation because the freezing rain is a gradual development and will barely be started when you depart. If anything there could be delays, but I don't know how bad the delays can get from ice on rails.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11587 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
TheManWithoutAName wrote:
Dec 21st, 2013 6:32 am
I found a video of ILJ&F.

haha

I can totally see him behind a laptop doing his research and posting it here for us:

Lol yep that's me
well kinda

Hey it is me!!! he has a dell laptop. How did you know it was me? :razz:
blahhh

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)