Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2020 6:34 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto
Just scraped the first load of ice off the driveway here in North York. A little bit of salt twice last night made it really easy to clear.

If you have ice on your driveway, I'd clear it before it rains again and you get a second, larger load.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
joepoonie wrote: Just scraped the first load of ice off the driveway here in North York. A little bit of salt twice last night made it really easy to clear.

If you have ice on your driveway, I'd clear it before it rains again and you get a second, larger load.
I just looked at the Accuweather RADAR, we got a ton more precipitation charging straight towards us right now. If the temperatures remain at or below freezing, watch out! This could be a very extended period of ice as it is supposed to last until tomorrow at noon. I am watching the radar. An ice storm warning has already been issued for NY state areas on the south side of lake Ontario and our side is supposed to be exposed to much much worse conditions than them, so this could get very serious.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: I just looked at the Accuweather RADAR, we got a ton more precipitation charging straight towards us right now. If the temperatures remain at or below freezing, watch out! This could be a very extended period of ice as it is supposed to last until tomorrow at noon. I am watching the radar. An ice storm warning has already been issued for NY state areas on the south side of lake Ontario and our side is supposed to be exposed to much much worse conditions than them, so this could get very serious.
I've been reading up on your projections - I already have a salting plan for today that should reduce the amount of ice that I'll have to deal with tomorrow.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19168 posts
6072 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
All liquid outside here still.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
joepoonie wrote: I've been reading up on your projections - I already have a salting plan for today that should reduce the amount of ice that I'll have to deal with tomorrow.
Yes. In your own place, maintaining a surface ice free should be quite easy because a bit more salt every now and then should keep it melting with these temperatures just near freezing. It is just that public surfaces and roads are not maintained constantly with salt and stuff like you are able to do regularily with your own property. So be careful on public spaces like roads.
BinaryJay wrote: All liquid outside here still.
the longer it stays that way, the better ;)
I am still worried about High Park because this kind of ice storm ain't no every day event so one can't be sure that a solid 24 hr ice storm can't do extensive damage. Considering how the photos proved that only half our expected ice amount is needed to cause widespread tree damage, it is best High Park not get too much.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Just to make the weather thread a little more positive because there could be a lot of frowns on users' faces when this ice storm comes and ruins Christmas for everyone. Let's take a little breather with the magic school bus weather episode! :)

Oh, and that episode happens to be summer weather!
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
cardle wrote: [IMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 7873_n.jpg[/IMG]

Here are some photos that I have just taken:

It is VERY icy and slippery out. You probably can't see too well but ice is already forming on the little tree and the tree outside.
Poor little tree should be decorated for Christmas lol. It deserves some TLC as a major ice storm looms on it!

Update on the ice storm. Warnings have now been issued for all of southern Ontario, so nowhere in the region is escaping the storm, except parts well to the north like Barrie/ Midland that just get a bit of snow now.

Alerts for: City of Toronto
Warnings

City of Toronto
4:42 AM EST Saturday 21 December 2013
Freezing rain warning for
City of Toronto continued

Periods of freezing rain tapering off this morning. Major ice storm likely starting this afternoon or evening into Sunday morning.

A significant frontal boundary from Sarnia to near Hamilton eastwards across Lake Ontario is expected to remain in the area for the next couple of days. North of this front, periods of freezing rain will taper off or change to drizzle or freezing drizzle this morning. Regions from Southern Lake Huron to Toronto are expected to see temperatures rise just above the freezing mark this morning.

The next disturbance is over Texas this morning and will track towards the Lower Great Lakes tonight. The moisture associated with this low is substantial and will likely produce a major freezing rain storm over portions of Southern and Eastern Ontario. Freezing rain may be heavy at times tonight, with 20 to 30 mm of freezing rain possible. Freezing rain will redevelop this afternoon and continue tonight and into Sunday morning. For regions from Sarnia to Burlington and south to Lake Erie, rain begin later this morning and change to freezing rain this evening.

As a result, ice accumulation on trees and power lines could potentially create widespread power outages and downed trees. Driving conditions on untreated roads could become very hazardous. Motorists and pedestrians should exercise caution and adjust travel plans accordingly.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2012
2766 posts
636 upvotes
Toronto
Fantaz wrote: Im scared...
Boo!
:cheesygri
Lol trees are coated with thin layer of ice here already
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
therollin wrote: Boo!
:cheesygri
Lol trees are coated with thin layer of ice here already
You have seen nothing yet! You won't believe what we could be in for:

I have another shocking bit of information to share. I did research on ice storms in the US and found out something truly shocking. It only took around 75-80% of ONE inch in ice storms to cause cities to go into a state of emergency which shows just how serious an ice storm can be. Shelby county Tennessee went into a state of emergency over 3 quarters of an inch of ice and Worthington, Minn. declared state of emergency following an ice storm that only brought 80% of an inch of ice in its ice storm. NOW, consider how Toronto could get up to around TWO INCHES of ice, is a big city and all, you must think, what kind of state of emergency we will get if less than one inch is enough to force them to that point in smaller cities. Toronto is NOT more adapted to this due to the rarity of such big ice events so this may be a much more serious level of "state of emergency" This information shows that it takes HALF of what we are expected to get to cause enough of a catastrophic event to put a town in a state of emergency. But we are quite likely getting DOUBLE what's needed to cause huge chaos, and add to the mix the fact that our region is populated by millions and has tons of old trees and this could be really really epic.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
5584 posts
486 upvotes
GT-EH
CSK'sMom wrote: As a homeowner you DO have a legal responsibility to clear your walks and de-ice them generally within 24 hrs of a storm ending. You can be sued if someone falls and hurts themselves.
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Ok that answers that one.

I do have a weather update on this ice situation.
most parts of Toronto now appear to be below freezing and as freezing rain approaches us from the west (I see now on the RADAR), expect very icy conditions throughout the GTA tonight. Temps will remain below freezing and icy conditions could get rather treacherous. This is the beginning of quite a long period of treacherous conditions.

We don't even have salt in this rooming house and the owner is leaving for China :-0
Does that mean we have to go and buy salt for this silly ice storm? o man!
I will tell the owner then that he has to stock up so the residents don't have to take care of buying the salt stock.
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: You have seen nothing yet! You won't believe what we could be in for:

I have another shocking bit of information to share. I did research on ice storms in the US and found out something truly shocking. It only took around 75-80% of ONE inch in ice storms to cause cities to go into a state of emergency which shows just how serious an ice storm can be. Shelby county Tennessee went into a state of emergency over 3 quarters of an inch of ice and Worthington, Minn. declared state of emergency following an ice storm that only brought 80% of an inch of ice in its ice storm. NOW, consider how Toronto could get up to around TWO INCHES of ice, is a big city and all, you must think, what kind of state of emergency we will get if less than one inch is enough to force them to that point in smaller cities. Toronto is NOT more adapted to this due to the rarity of such big ice events so this may be a much more serious level of "state of emergency" This information shows that it takes HALF of what we are expected to get to cause enough of a catastrophic event to put a town in a state of emergency. But we are quite likely getting DOUBLE what's needed to cause huge chaos, and add to the mix the fact that our region is populated by millions and has tons of old trees and this could be really really epic.
So icy everywhere, I threw like a half-pack of salt on the sidewalk last night and probably, another half pack this morning.

I need to hire a guy with flamethrower and help me de-ice my driveway/side entrance.
[IMG]http://oi40.tinypic.com/wqx4q9.jpg[/IMG]

Btw, you are doing a great job on this thread. Wish I could have +thanks your post.