Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2020 12:16 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2004
1874 posts
519 upvotes
gta
promenade mall is close for the day. vm is open
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
DealDemon wrote: promenade mall is close for the day. vm is open
Is this due to the weather?

I heard the area of 401 Leslie, Pomenade and around there was hit really bad by the storm last night so I am guessing yes.

I think I posted a pic somewhere in this thread with all the condos in the area all blacked out.
blahhh
Oct 17, 2013
583 posts
36 upvotes
some municipalities actually will cut tree limbs in preparation for winter. so where is your tax dollars going towards? RF?
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
4020 posts
231 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
oneseasonleft wrote: some municipalities actually will cut tree limbs in preparation for winter. so where is your tax dollars going towards? RF?
Subways!
Traveling 😁
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Simaahoy wrote: Subways!
Subways! more subways please! That way I can get around Toronto unaffected by the weather. I love getting where I need to go with such security.

Although, now I just live and remain in the downtown to Pape/Danforth area so I don't think I personally need more subways as I only use the Bloor line now. But other people can do with the placement of new lines.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
4020 posts
231 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
[QUOTE]Turn off Christmas lights, be careful with heaters, candles, says Ford.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]Ford says we're not in a situation that requires a state of emergency to be called[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]Toronto not in state of emergency, says Rob Ford. "We're not in that situation quite yet," but it is possibility in next 24 hours.[/QUOTE]

via twitter cbc
Traveling 😁
Apr 16, 2012
555 posts
3 upvotes
Good thing toronto bought all those new streetcars....oh wait they are completely shutdown today.

Yet another reason why streetcars dont work in areas affected by sub zero temps.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
cmge wrote: Is this going to worse than the ice storm in 98?
It already finished. So what you see posted all throughout this thread is what this ice storm looked like in the GTA, worse in places like Brampton RH and far east of Toronto. You can compare the images to ones of the 98, but that one was even worse.
blahhh
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41738 posts
5341 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
The following are Toronto EXTREME WEATHER EMERGENCY DISASTER community centers open for people with no power. They are fully heated with snacks, hot drinks, and water.

Go to one of these if you want to live.

dennis r timbrell community centre
malvern community centre
agin court community centre
don montgomery community centre
driftwood community centre
mitchell field community centre

Source : CP24... Just reported right now @ 2:15PM.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
1971 posts
1248 upvotes
Something really strange going on in New York today. How in the hell is it 21 C feels like 25 !!! That must be a December record for the hottest day !!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
UrbanPoet wrote: The following are Toronto EXTREME WEATHER EMERGENCY DISASTER community centers open for people with no power. They are fully heated with snacks, hot drinks, and water.

Go to one of these if you want to live.

dennis r timbrell community centre
malvern community centre
agin court community centre
don montgomery community centre
driftwood community centre
mitchell field community centre

Source : CP24... Just reported right now @ 2:15PM.
I wonder if Toronto is issuing a "state of emergency" like adjacent parts of the us did, even though they didn't get hit as hard over a wide area like we did.
blahhh
Nov 29, 2008
678 posts
71 upvotes
Markham
From Toronto Hydro:

Important Notice: Due to the volume of outages across the city, our online Outage Map is currently unavailable. Outage updates will be provided via Twitter and our Newsroom as they become available. We apologize for this inconvenience
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
4020 posts
231 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: I wonder if Toronto is issuing a "state of emergency" like adjacent parts of the us did, even though they didn't get hit as hard over a wide area like we did.
The mayor is not, posted his speech on the previous page.
Traveling 😁