Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2019 2:06 pm
Dec 13, 2013
467 posts
17 upvotes
Ontario
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 9:28 pm
If you click in the forums "replies" It will sort the threads from the most posted to threads on downwards.
Where is that "replies" link/button?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
JACKIE26 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 9:33 pm
I feel for people with babies and small children, no way they can stay in homes without power that long.
No way! I don't know how they deal with that. They must have another place to go. But as I said before, there could be other problems too. I wonder how likely it is that pipes freeze and other problems arise.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2007
2624 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
Wow OP sorry to hear what happened, I'm probably two minutes south of you and nothing in terms of damage is visible
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
redflagdeal101 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 9:33 pm
Where is that "replies" link/button?
Hold down the control key on the keyboard and press the f button. write the word Replies in the search box and it will find the word "Replies" near the top of the screen. Then you just click it and it sorts the threads according to post number.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
willyxjai wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 9:35 pm
Wow OP sorry to hear what happened, I'm probably two minutes south of you and nothing in terms of damage is visible
Actually the cool thing is that I got the amazing opportunity to witness all of this storm mayhem without even losing power. It was purely MIRACULOUS! Stuff fell all over the place from the street to the roof of our house, but somehoe just missed the powerlines and we stayed with our power intact :)

Soy now I say it was worth it getting to see the trees get torn apart because nothing bad happened. I just got to watch a natural disaster unfold outside my front door and that was all!

What a show that was!
blahhh
Dec 13, 2013
467 posts
17 upvotes
Ontario
The ice LOOKS good, but what it does is bad.

Exactly. When I first saw these ice layers around trees, branches, electric poles in the 1997 Mtl ice storm I shivered with fear. It was a very strange a scene to see, the ice sparkled and it looked like some alien caterpillars going around the trees.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
redflagdeal101 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 9:42 pm
The ice LOOKS good, but what it does is bad.

Exactly. When I first saw these ice layers around trees, branches, electric poles in the 1997 Mtl ice storm I shivered with fear. It was a very strange a scene to see, the ice sparkled and it looked like some alien caterpillars going around the trees.
YEs every part of the ice storm is a cool sight to see from the shimmering ice coated landscape, to the sight of a tree getting ripped apart by the storm, right in front of you! All very intriguing to watch and see. But I have to admit. It is not good in the end because not the GTA now has thousands of trees less than it had yesterday morning.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2005
1593 posts
50 upvotes
I had no power between 2:30 AM-3:00 PM today, and I've lost power, briefly, twice since then.

I'm in Etobicoke.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2065 posts
359 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
cheapmeister wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 8:15 pm
Getting ice off the car body is going to be a pain as well. I don't want to scratch up my car, and I don't want to make any dents! I will warm up my car as soon as I am able to open the door to start the engine. Hopefully the engine heat will loosen the ice on the hood.
Use a hair dryer my uncle did that one year, while we all stood watching him from the living room window laughing at him. But it worked to loosen it up and the ice slid off in sheets.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
7263 posts
2357 upvotes
Toronto
My power went out for a split second and came back on in Markham... could be a sign that power will be out in my area soon!
May 10, 2007
732 posts
48 upvotes
Ma_Jie wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 9:48 pm
I had no power between 2:30 AM-3:00 PM today, and I've lost power, briefly, twice since then.

I'm in Etobicoke.
What area of Etobicoke? My power went out at the same time but has yet to return.
Dec 12, 2005
917 posts
51 upvotes
GTA
JACKIE26 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 9:52 pm
Use a hair dryer my uncle did that one year, while we all stood watching him from the living room window laughing at him. But it worked to loosen it up and the ice slid off in sheets.
Hot water works faster. Just fill a pot from the hot water tap and pour it over the door seams.
Shojin wrote:I like to quote myself.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2005
1593 posts
50 upvotes
NoFrillBill wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 9:53 pm
What area of Etobicoke? My power went out at the same time but has yet to return.
M9R - martingrove & eglinton
May 28, 2012
10273 posts
2427 upvotes
Saskatoon
It's -33C with a windchill of -42 right now in Saskatoon...but at least we have power and aren't dealing with all that devastation out East. Hope everyone can hang in there and get through this.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
JACKIE26 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 9:52 pm
guess that is another good option. No risk of adding on more ice to end up with than you started with lol
blahhh