Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2019 10:13 am
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
2270 posts
67 upvotes
I am so glad our power didn't go out! Though I have a friend with a woodstove!

I offically hate ice now. Been shoveling since Friday. But today.. wow! Today was about 5 hours of shoveling. Took a break after 1.5 hours. My husband car had to be pushed out of the driveway this morning so he could go to work. And he took my 13 year who shoveled a bit before they left. Sigh. I hate snowplows also. I hate the present it left me. A mountain of ice. okay, a small mountain. But that sheet of ice on top of the snow wasn't fun either!

I will just keep saying, I'm glad the power didn't go out. Maybe then I wouldn't feel so exhausted and wonder how I'm to still wrap presents tonight.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Mars2012 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 10:01 pm
It's -33C with a windchill of -42 right now in Saskatoon...but at least we have power and aren't dealing with all that devastation out East. Hope everyone can hang in there and get through this.
I have told someone earlier that around minus 30 in the prairies with a warm house and vehicle is much much easier than being in a house with no heating and it's minus fifteen outside in Toronto.
cuz that's what's about to happen here.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2008
1520 posts
14 upvotes
I know there are bigger issues such as heat and light but trying to make the best of the situation with no power by keeping busy on phone. Will Rogers be accommodating with extra data usage, cant use the wifi with the power out.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2005
1312 posts
220 upvotes
Just leaving oshawa now... Big chunks have no power (south oshawa)
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
1203 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
Those who are getting power back, please post the major intersections so the rest of us will know. THanks! That would be very helpful!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
We are getting into the night and will soon surpass the first 24 hours of this. I wonder if they actually work around the clock in the darkness of night. I have a feeling a lot of the people won't be set to go for tomorrow night. We are just 22 hours or even less away from very cold temperatures.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4330 posts
590 upvotes
Mg Rogers services just crapped out because of the storm. I live in Etobicoke and my power hasn't had any issues all day.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Lol all this was so funny about Fairview mall:

Adam Eisner
‏@adamrides
@whaddayat spent the day at fairview mall. It's like a shelter right now.

Jenny ‏@SyphilisX 2h
People huddling around the power outlets at #fairview mall all day just to charge their phones and laptops.

Just reading this gives me the feel that we are in the middle of a natural disaster. What uncomfortable days!
blahhh
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20212 posts
2146 upvotes
YUL
On my drive back up to Barrie from Mississauga this evening, it was odd seeing the whole area west of the HWY 400 all dim and everything looked so dark. Got power here in Barrie though.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3985 posts
375 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Was Pearson without power at all? I'm flying in there tomorrow.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
2833 posts
624 upvotes
Toronto
Got back the power at around 9pm est near Finch & Bathurst
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
This line is heavy..
Banned
Oct 30, 2013
757 posts
49 upvotes
This is Toronto ><

Winter weather there isn't that bad
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Typhoonz wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 10:21 pm
Was Pearson without power at all? I'm flying in there tomorrow.
I know for sure airports are never ever affected by outages as they have their very own backup power source. That have to have it. Even when I used to live in a small city called Arauca, Colombia, during a power outage that lasted for days, they even had generators and power like normal.
phatsi wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 10:22 pm
This is Toronto ><

Winter weather there isn't that bad
normally it isn't, but this time it was, and because of it and us not being used to such a big weather event, it proved "catastrophic" as said in the news.
blahhh
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10940 posts
820 upvotes
Brampton
JACKIE26 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 9:52 pm
Use a hair dryer my uncle did that one year, while we all stood watching him from the living room window laughing at him. But it worked to loosen it up and the ice slid off in sheets.
I was thinking of doing that, but then I tought it would take too long!
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Aidan Chan ‏@AidanFX
icestorm toronto.... 300,000+ without electricity
Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand
RLK ‏@Rlkwan
@AidanFX Oh, no ! Which areas are affected ? Downtown ?..... Is Markham ok ?
Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand
Aidan Chan ‏@AidanFX
@Rlkwan richmond hill, markham, vaughn maybe 60,000-70,000.. was driving in north york area near fairview mall complete darkness
Hide conversation

Now I have a strong feeling that one, they are sitting on their butts and not fixing it and two, it most certainly won't be up and running for the region for tomorrow nights big deep freeze around minus 15
blahhh