Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2019 1:51 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2003
7603 posts
453 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 10:27 pm
Aidan Chan ‏@AidanFX
icestorm toronto.... 300,000+ without electricity
Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand
RLK ‏@Rlkwan
@AidanFX Oh, no ! Which areas are affected ? Downtown ?..... Is Markham ok ?
Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand
Aidan Chan ‏@AidanFX
@Rlkwan richmond hill, markham, vaughn maybe 60,000-70,000.. was driving in north york area near fairview mall complete darkness
Hide conversation

Now I have a strong feeling that one, they are sitting on their butts and not fixing it and two, it most certainly won't be up and running for the region for tomorrow nights big deep freeze around minus 15
I'm going to have to agree that there's been some gross negligence.

I believe Ford may have avoided making this a state of emergency because it would look bad on him or he'd lose powers. Its politics.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2005
1312 posts
220 upvotes
401/404 down to dvp Eglinton no power

Scarborough town centre 401 many condo towers no power
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11587 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
^
That makes it only seem that much more epic.
masterhapposai wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 10:35 pm

I believe Ford may have avoided making this a state of emergency because it would look bad on him or he'd lose powers. Its politics.
This is crazy. Now that I know that a lot of people will be without power during the deep freeze coming, I wonder how they are going to deal with it. I have never heard of anything like this happening in Toronto before. Now I am starting to understand by Ford and the CEO of Toronto Hydro are calling this the "worst storm ever for Toronto"
While we have seen worse property damage in rainstorms and stuff, this is far worse because people's well being and lives are even at risk due to no power and a change to frigid weather like the issue with the Montreal one.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2012
2688 posts
1236 upvotes
Ottawa
Angela V wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 10:03 pm
I am so glad our power didn't go out! Though I have a friend with a woodstove!

I offically hate ice now. Been shoveling since Friday. But today.. wow! Today was about 5 hours of shoveling. Took a break after 1.5 hours. My husband car had to be pushed out of the driveway this morning so he could go to work. And he took my 13 year who shoveled a bit before they left. Sigh. I hate snowplows also. I hate the present it left me. A mountain of ice. okay, a small mountain. But that sheet of ice on top of the snow wasn't fun either!

I will just keep saying, I'm glad the power didn't go out. Maybe then I wouldn't feel so exhausted and wonder how I'm to still wrap presents tonight.
So... let me get this straight. You pushed your husband's car out so he could go to work, shoveled & cleared ice all day including the cadeaux from the snow plow. Your worried about wrapping presents.

Good thing you didn't you didn't mention anything about the steaks you were making for dinner or the martini you had waiting for hubby. Your mailbox would be full of marriage proposals and people asking if you were Korean.

SuperWoman!
prae praesto filum clostrum
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2005
1312 posts
220 upvotes
masterhapposai wrote:

Ford has the power to declare and end but not manage the emergency. It is undoubtedly politics.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11587 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Anyone think that all these phone service outages are being caused by the storm?
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2003
7603 posts
453 upvotes
Bamelin wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 10:40 pm
Ford has the power to declare and end but not manage the emergency. It is undoubtedly politics.
This is going to get people killed.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4365 posts
609 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 10:44 pm
Anyone think that all these phone service outages are being caused by the storm?
It's obvious isn't it?
Banned
Apr 27, 2010
6280 posts
446 upvotes
Help me
Power came back on in the early morning. But cable services are still down. Cable TV and internet.

Looks like I'm going to go to bed soon.

Hope my internet comes back on soon. Today was rough.

#firstworldproblems
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20340 posts
4300 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Come on people. Leave politics out of this thread.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2012
2688 posts
1236 upvotes
Ottawa
masterhapposai wrote:

Take it easy on Mayor Ford. He was probably exhausted from his closest advisors coaching him non-stop Friday & Saturday to not put his foot in his mouth on Monday about the prostitution thing. Think he got a good nights sleep? Not. His power went out PLUS every once in a while he would hear a mighty *CRACK* as tree limbs broke.

Surprised the man didn't have a heart attack last night.
prae praesto filum clostrum
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11587 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
I hope that all those dangling chunks of tree on the wires don't suddenly cut the power here. That would be a disaster for me. I hope they carefully remove them when they come to fix the street here.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2003
7603 posts
453 upvotes
sandikosh wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 10:46 pm
Come on people. Leave politics out of this thread.
State of Emergency needs to be called. This thread has the attention of news stations. We should keep requesting that.

You can draw your own conclusions about who is responsible for calling a State of Emergency.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11587 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
masterhapposai wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 10:53 pm
State of Emergency needs to be called. This thread has the attention of news stations. We should keep requesting that.

You can draw your own conclusions about who is responsible for calling a State of Emergency.
Interesting. Apart from when they wanted to take photos from this thread, I don't know how much the media is actually paying attention to this thread.

Althoug sandikosh is right because politics is not allowed in the forums.

Did you here of any attention the thread got by the media? I only heard when some of the media from this thread got put on CTV.

Now that I think of it, I am wondering just how much they do watch the thread. It was because of that that I ended up getting that message from CBC this morning.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2012
2760 posts
633 upvotes
Toronto
A nice hot dinner feels so nice during a poweroutage = thank god for candles. Day 1 = complete
Fire trucks passing by >35 today