Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2019 2:06 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2008
1356 posts
130 upvotes
Power is backed up in Ajax area just now.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Star* wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 11:02 pm
Oh no! so it's gettin worse not better.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1636 posts
53 upvotes
Markham
So Ilovejaneandfinch, from your crystal ball, what do you think the remainder of the winter is going to be like? I just read this on Globe and Mail - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technolo ... d/follows/

"Although no single weather event can be attributed to climate change, researchers have projected more rain during the winter months in southern Ontario as global temperatures continue to rise. That means there will more opportunities for the kinds of conditions that led to the weekend ice storm"
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Star* wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 11:04 pm
What do you mean?
I did not realize you meant "back up" "not backed up"
blahhh
Jun 28, 2007
118 posts
2 upvotes
Just drove up from 401 on Bayview all the way to Steels, the entire strech of road was dark, homes and condos were dark, no traffic lights, no street lights.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
wasserware wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 11:06 pm
So Ilovejaneandfinch, from your crystal ball, what do you think the remainder of the winter is going to be like? I just read this on Globe and Mail - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technolo ... d/follows/

"Although no single weather event can be attributed to climate change, researchers have projected more rain during the winter months in southern Ontario as global temperatures continue to rise. That means there will more opportunities for the kinds of conditions that led to the weekend ice storm"
I studied this quite a bit earlier. They are expecting that so much of our precipitation become rain in the winter that snow will no longer stay on the ground with global warming. But noone really knows how fast it will happen. So far, it isn't really even going anywhere.

there is the chance that temperatures start to shoot up in a few years again, but it is not certain yet. If we do get on track with projections, then there will be a lot of rain in the winter here by midcentury.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2012
2744 posts
622 upvotes
Toronto
Star* wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 11:02 pm
Out or back up
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4020 posts
388 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 11:09 pm
I studied this quite a bit earlier. They are expecting that so much of our precipitation become rain in the winter that snow will no longer stay on the ground with global warming. But noone really knows how fast it will happen. So far, it isn't really even going anywhere.

there is the chance that temperatures start to shoot up in a few years again, but it is not certain yet. If we do get on track with projections, then there will be a lot of rain in the winter here by midcentury.
It doesn't help that they say this every year as well, or at least something along the same lines.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2005
4900 posts
634 upvotes
wasserware wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 11:06 pm
no single weather event can be attributed to climate change, researchers have projected more rain during the winter months in southern Ontario as global temperatures continue to rise. That means there will more opportunities for the kinds of conditions that led to the weekend ice storm"
researchers are attributing the weekend ice storm to global warming? Other researchers will tell you there is no such thing, that we're just in a cycle of warmer weather the past few years. So when I hear global warming it's just a political statement is all. Check out temps the past month in western Canada and you'll see nearly record cold temps. Researchers can then say the ice age is coming back.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Typhoonz wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 11:20 pm
It doesn't help that they say this every year as well, or at least something along the same lines.
Yes. I have pretty much stopped bying into the possibility of it. I just don't see it happening suddenly in our lifetimes. We have barely seen a change to the earth in our lives so what could possibly force a change to warmer now. We have not changed anything so I imagine that the way things have been going is more or less the way they will keep going because are probably not going to do something that makes global warming come faster.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
162 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 11:22 pm
researchers are attributing the weekend ice storm to global warming? Other researchers will tell you there is no such thing, that we're just in a cycle of warmer weather the past few years. So when I hear global warming it's just a political statement is all. Check out temps the past month in western Canada and you'll see nearly record cold temps. Researchers can then say the ice age is coming back.
Yes. I can attribute this storm to a major fluctuation in temperatures. We just got off our "warmest November on record globally" While the Arctic just got off it's "coldest summer on record" and we have been in a very negative phase of the Eastern Pacific Oscillation and these temperature contrasts likely helped to make this storm happen.
blahhh