Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2019 2:06 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2008
4367 posts
505 upvotes
Scarborough
djemzine wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2013 9:00 am
Man this Starbucks that I am at is in chaos. Their system is down, so only cash transactions (can't get no stars by using my Starbucks card ugh lol) and its getting packed. Good thing I came in early to charge up my devices.
Hahaha gotta love first world problems :)
Power out at Kingston Rd/ Golf Club Dec22/13 2am, finally came back last night Dec23/1am-ish

I wanted to get some of my dash cam videos saved as well but too busy to fire up the laptop
Hopefully they havent been overwritten yet.
Help Contribute to our Wedding Fund :) A wise fortune cookie once told me this:
"A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist"
FS: Christmas Window Decor :lol:
FS: 10mm H&R Trak+ wheel spacers, 5x100/112, 57.1c/b
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
pnyknights wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2013 9:23 am
Hahaha gotta love first world problems :)
Power out at Kingston Rd/ Golf Club Dec22/13 2am, finally came back last night Dec23/1am-ish

I wanted to get some of my dash cam videos saved as well but too busy to fire up the laptop
Hopefully they havent been overwritten yet.
Try really hard to do it as soon as possible because you have footage as part of a historical weather event. Don't lose it!
blahhh
Dec 13, 2013
467 posts
17 upvotes
Ontario
The OP is a celebrity now!!! :)
(or, has always been?)

Thanks for the thread anyway. I feel better following the updates here in addition to the news.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
39462 posts
5834 upvotes
King City
edgedamage wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2013 9:10 am
Ugggh I have to get gas, better get cash first and not risk debit being down.
Are the gas pumps open? I thought they're closed if there's no power? I filled up gas on Friday.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Jan 28, 2005
3891 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2013 9:23 am
Yes. I am always reprting on american sources when I am providing my weather predictions in this thread. Not once have I given a forecast in this thread without using partly or mostly or even purely american data. One of the few exceptions was when the GEM model, a canadian model was doing a good job at forecasting this storm so I quoted it solely in a forecast here in the thread and it turned out to be all right. But that was a rare exception for best data available.

Normally I use American or Euro forecast models because there are more of them and have higher accuracy.
People need to pressure the government to get environment canada to release Doppler radar data is soon as it's pushed from the radar site. The same way it's done in the states, countless lives are saved each year in the USA because the public has access to constantly updated radar feeds.
You say get high, I say hello!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
redflagdeal101 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2013 9:27 am
The OP is a celebrity now!!! :)
(or, has always been?)

Thanks for the thread anyway. I feel better following the updates here in addition to the news.
Your welcome lol
I think my weather related popularity went through the roof when I nailed this prediction from 10 days in advance when all other sources in Canada couldn't do the same till it was already getting started on the day of.

I am real glad I started this thread in the spring, but it suddenly grew more and more popular as we got later into fall.
blahhh
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41081 posts
4875 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
slowtyper wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2013 9:07 am
Anyone going to charge stuff at a starbucks or cafe, I'd recommend bringing a power strip (or 2) with you. If its full, offer to put your power strip there and you can still use it, plus everyone will love you.
I brought one of those things that splits an outlet into 3... Too bad I'm using 2 of them. lol. But theres a free one for someone to join.

Power is still out in "Little India".

Currently at timmy's powering up my 2 laptops to use as backups for my phone.
My 2 laptops should give me enough juice to power my phones for at least 2 days.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
slowtyper wrote:
How are the roads today?
I am guessing they are quite good anywhere that did not get left in ruins yesterday because the weather has been quiet, but re-icing might have happened in low trafficed streets.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2005
3891 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote:
Are the gas pumps open? I thought they're closed if there's no power? I filled up gas on Friday.
The shell at yong and pointz was open last night.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
6159 posts
1157 upvotes
edgedamage wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2013 8:58 am
Every condo has windows, put your food beside them as they would be the coldest spot in your balcony less condo. Spend more time using your head on things other than the latest phone or canada goose.
Very intelligent. Can I invite you over and see if 17C is cold enough for fridge food near my windows? Have you ever lived in a condo? All condos got balcony?

Personal attacks now eh! Oh, I don't own a Canada Goose either. LOL. It shows how much you use your head by just pressing "View Forum Posts" and randomly pick out topics to attack me. That's a new low, what a waste of bandwidth to RFD.

I hope you don't work for any hydro companies or else we are screwed. People need help and advice, and they don't need you to make fun of their situation.

Added to ignore list, merry Christmas.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
edgedamage wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2013 9:28 am
People need to pressure the government to get environment canada to release Doppler radar data is soon as it's pushed from the radar site. The same way it's done in the states, countless lives are saved each year in the USA because the public has access to constantly updated radar feeds.
Yes I find it important. When I am tracking a heavy snow band, I start to not understand why in the world it sometimes comes in so late, at times even 20 minutes after the indicated data taking.
blahhh
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
39462 posts
5834 upvotes
King City
Man the outlets here are WEAK! My tablet is taking ages to charge. At home its quicker. From 8 AM it was 22% and now its 68%. 44% in a period of 1 hour and 33 minutes. That's bad! At home within 1 hour it would be at 80%. Bleh...

Hopefully I can use the tablet charger (wall adapter) with my phone and it won't mess up. Nexus 7 wall charger for a Nexus 4 lol... Hmm... I could charge my phone via USB but it'd take longer too with the mac...
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Jan 28, 2005
3891 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
People need to use common sense, if I came off as blunt oh well walk it off.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Time to google upload-image search my photo to see if it circulated online out of the weather thread yet :razz:

EDIT: must not have reached any google image searchable locations yet because media like fb or CTV won't turn up like that maybe.
blahhh