Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2020 12:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
edgedamage wrote: The metro at yonge and church south of finch. Is fully opened, fully stocked they spent one million on a generator. Money well spent.
When I saw that so many places even on Yonge can't get out of this problem more than a day and a half into the crisis, I knew right away that the problem was actually very extensive and that all parts of Toronto could be in this trouble. Then I finally found the map and saw for myself just how extensive the problem was.

Although parts of southeast Toronto now seem to be out of the worst colour:purple after being in there when I last checked so there has been some improvement.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5592 posts
850 upvotes
Toronto
logging off now, if there is power in our house, will login in 2 hours, if not. tomorrow. :cry:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote: logging off now, if there is power in our house, will login in 2 hours, if not. tomorrow. :cry:
Ok good luck :) put a smile on :)
It's Christmas!
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
High of minus ten tomorrow folks! gonna be a cold one! For those without power, I don't know what will happen but looks like it is time to head out because the powerless hosue won't be any good in that kind of cold. Also minus double digit lows in the nights coming up.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Jan 24, 2005
5709 posts
311 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: High of minus ten tomorrow folks! gonna be a cold one! For those without power, I don't know what will happen but looks like it is time to head out because the powerless hosue won't be any good in that kind of cold. Also minus double digit lows in the nights coming up.
Do you think it's time to shut off the water main to the house and drain the pipes?
Dec 13, 2013
467 posts
17 upvotes
Ontario
During the day I feel better but it is evening now. The mayors are saying they are worrying about the next coming days as more ice is accumulating..
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
xwar wrote: Do you think it's time to shut off the water main to the house and drain the pipes?
There were other people in this thread more knowledgeable in this particular thing, but I do remember from a lot of posting here than many said to just keep the water running a bit. While normally keeping water running is a waste of water, in this one occasion of a crisis, there is nothing wrong with it. That will keep any problem from happening. But if you have to leave your house for long because of no power I am not sure if the people that recommended that would still say it's fine.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
redflagdeal101 wrote: During the day I feel better but it is evening now. The mayors are saying they are worrying about the next coming days as more ice is accumulating..
There is no more ice coming thankfully. What we are getting is some significant cold over the course of the next 48 hours. I will be keeping my eye on possibly developing snowfalls later on, but I am not seeing any more ice in the short or long term. So that is good.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
^ I did not even get to see the sun today where I am.

UPDATE: Toronto Hydro is bringing in reinforcements from Michigan, Manitoba, and other Ontario municipalities.
blahhh
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
11562 posts
1054 upvotes
Brampton
HellCat62 wrote: None of my driver side doors would open after serious pulling and yanking, but the passenger side wasn't "as" bad. So I yanked on the passenger side door with all my weight and cracked it open, I then crawled over to the driver seat, pulled the door handle and body checked the door until it broke free and opened.

The ice on the windows will only come off after the car has sat running with the defroster blasting on the front and the rear coils running for 10-15 mins...then the ice came off like butter with the scraper.

The gas door was a little tricky and took some gouging with the edge of the scraper to get open.
I finally got my car thawed out and running! Man it was a b, but I got it done! I used hot water to crack the ice while hacking away at it with the ice scraper. Took me like 2 hours to completely de-ice the entire vehicle, man it was tough!
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Jul 15, 2012
374 posts
21 upvotes
CAMBRIDGE
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: ^ I did not even get to see the sun today where I am.

UPDATE: Toronto Hydro is bringing in reinforcements from Michigan, Manitoba, and other Ontario municipalities.
That spot was crazy, all cars were stopped in their tracks to take pictures...looked like the garden of Eden! My cell phone didn't truly grasp how crazy it looked...
Sent from my Payphone
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
11562 posts
1054 upvotes
Brampton
So any stores have large supplies of salt? I heard there was some fighting at some store over salt. So where do they have salt?
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
11562 posts
1054 upvotes
Brampton
At many intersections the lights are not working. Do they have traffic police directing traffic at those areas?
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
HellCat62 wrote: That spot was crazy, all cars were stopped in their tracks to take pictures...looked like the garden of Eden! My cell phone didn't truly grasp how crazy it looked...
Yes. I can imagine it would have been much more amazing to see it with your own eyes than just with a cell phone. I should have gone out today to witness the scene. Maybe I'll head out tomorrow to go and check out the disaster Toronto is in. Although it is going to be extremely cold out there.
blahhh