Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2020 12:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
winterslush wrote: OP I have a feeling that you are enjoying this. For those people who took your advice to load up on gas, salt, batteries, flashlights and one guy also mentioned getting a generator, good for them.
Yes :) I am not enjoying all the suffering and the cold that people are going through of course :) but I am enjoying seeing the accuracy in my forecasts and that people got to prepare for this. hope all goes well. Going to be a long one for some people. Temps getting very cold tonight. And Tomorrow night too.
blahhh
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
11581 posts
1057 upvotes
Brampton
Op, when is the next storm coming?
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20428 posts
4384 upvotes
Poormond Hill
cheapmeister wrote: Op, when is the next storm coming?
Lets hope it is a snowstorm!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
cheapmeister wrote: Op, when is the next storm coming?
I am not seeing anything significant in the models yet. While there are signs of something for right around the new year, I'm not sounding any alarms but will watch to see if anything develops. I see nothing notable coming before Jan 1. I will keep monitoring and giving updates as now that we are in winter, snowfall can return at any time in Toronto.

Also, models can show a major storm appear at any time within 5 days. So I am watching.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
sandikosh wrote: Lets hope it is a snowstorm!
Chances are it will be. :)

We are entering a colder weather pattern and any substantial ice does not stand a very good chance of coming back for quite a while.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8236 posts
1838 upvotes
Ontario
I'm in Vaughan.
anyone else have TV signal fine, but no home phone or internet? All Rogers.
I tried resetting the boxes in the basement, but nothing. Wait or would I need to call for tech support?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
3 months left to keep watching for heavy snowstorms in the GFS model!

Whooooooo hoooooooo!!!
blahhh
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
39917 posts
5973 upvotes
King City
onlineharvest wrote: I'm in Vaughan.
anyone else have TV signal fine, but no home phone or internet? All Rogers.
I tried resetting the boxes in the basement, but nothing. Wait or would I need to call for tech support?
TV - Dish World
Internet - Teksavvy - perfectly fine, no hiccups!
Home phone - Vonage - no hiccups due to internet.

Live in RH by the way.
Proud to be an Indian.
May 29, 2003
6211 posts
1201 upvotes
Finch and mccowan restored!!!!!!
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
39917 posts
5973 upvotes
King City
sandikosh wrote: Thats not good. Earlier I went walking to Canadian Tire and Wally world looking for one of those "shovels" to break the ice on the driveway. Couldn't find one and now it seems I will have a sloping hockey rink for sometime.
They're called an ice chopper by the way lol. Shoulda picked one up on Saturday. That's what we did as we didn't own one previously. I can lend you mine if you'd like lol?
sandikosh wrote: I just spent 90 minutes chipping ice from the car. Not only I chipped the ice, I also broke the grille at the base of the windshield!
Don't got space in the garage? Or is there another car inside?
sandikosh wrote: Silver Linden/High Tech.
Ah okay. That area is not affected at all by damaged trees, etc?
Proud to be an Indian.
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
good thing the house I am in did not lose power. It feels like this house is leaky and would have lost heat very fast. Would be down to zero by now. the pipes would freeze and I would have a disaster because the owner is in China.
blahhh
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
11581 posts
1057 upvotes
Brampton
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: good thing the house I am in did not lose power. It feels like this house is leaky and would have lost heat very fast. Would be down to zero by now. the pipes would freeze and I would have a disaster because the owner is in China.
You just have to leave the water running, then it won't freeze and crack the pipes, thus causing a flood!
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
cheapmeister wrote: You just have to leave the water running, then it won't freeze and crack the pipes, thus causing a flood!
Yes. That's good. Is it an ok idea to do that even if people are not in the house during the day or for an extended period?

I don't want to be the innocent part of wet bandit from home alone lol
blahhh
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
39917 posts
5973 upvotes
King City
cheapmeister wrote: You just have to leave the water running, then it won't freeze and crack the pipes, thus causing a flood!
Ya we were using the taps/faucets for the most part.
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Yes. That's good. Is it an ok idea to do that even if people are not in the house during the day or for an extended period?

I don't want to be the innocent part of wet bandit from home alone lol
Aha! I remember that part lol. They don't make movies like they used to eh? Any how we didn't keep the water running for the few hours we were out yesterday. It was fine, but I guess it depends on how old the house is, and what's the current indoor temp, etc. Perhaps a lot of factors play into this?
Proud to be an Indian.
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
djemzine wrote: Ya we were using the taps/faucets for the most part.
Ok. good to know.

I just wonder what started the trend of power out threads outside of this thread. It reminds me of the day people kept making "would you buy a house if" threads
blahhh

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)