Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2020 12:16 pm
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
11565 posts
1056 upvotes
Brampton
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Yes. That's good. Is it an ok idea to do that even if people are not in the house during the day or for an extended period?

I don't want to be the innocent part of wet bandit from home alone lol
You only need to leave the water running if the inside temp is approaching the freezing point. I would think that you would need to flush the toilets to prevent them from freezing and not working as well.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
cheapmeister wrote: You only need to leave the water running if the inside temp is approaching the freezing point.
Ok thanks. Although I guess other people can use the advice more because thankfully I am actually escaping that problem. What luck. I was one tree branch away from a crisis.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
djemzine wrote: Ya we were using the taps/faucets for the most part.

Aha! I remember that part lol. They don't make movies like they used to eh? Any how we didn't keep the water running for the few hours we were out yesterday. It was fine, but I guess it depends on how old the house is, and what's the current indoor temp, etc. Perhaps a lot of factors play into this?
Yes. Movies like Home Alone, they just don't make stuff like that anymore :(

I think leaving the water running a bit even when we are gone isn't a problem. It's not like we are plugging it like they did in Home Alone lol
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
5427 posts
2494 upvotes
Thornhill
Canadian tire ordered 100,000 bags which should be in 120 stores throughout the GTA by 4 p.m. Dec. 24.

Don't tell anyone.
cheapmeister wrote: So any stores have large supplies of salt? I heard there was some fighting at some store over salt. So where do they have salt?
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3829 posts
1603 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Yes :) I am not enjoying all the suffering and the cold that people are going through of course :) but I am enjoying seeing the accuracy in my forecasts and that people got to prepare for this.
Oh wow. I jokingly called you a drama queen earlier, but now you're living up to the name.

You didn't make a forecast. You made a prediction. I'm on the road for work, and checked out The Weather Network a week before the ice storm, and they were already calling for freezing rain. You didn't re-invent the wheel here. You simply echoed somebody else's prediction and exaggerated things a bit...
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
11565 posts
1056 upvotes
Brampton
licenced wrote: Canadian tire ordered 100,000 bags which should be in 120 stores throughout the GTA by 4 p.m. Dec. 24.

Don't tell anyone.
You should tell them over in the shopping thread. Peeps cannot find any salt over there!

Thx for the tip!
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Wow. This storm is causing a lot of fighting. Now I can see how dire the situation is because people are fighting over hotel rooms, supplies for the storm, everything. Also fighting the trees on the road that are in the way as they drive lol
blahhh
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
39914 posts
5970 upvotes
King City
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Ok. good to know.

I just wonder what started the trend of power out threads outside of this thread. It reminds me of the day people kept making "would you buy a house if" threads
Some could be trolling, given a fact this is RFD!
licenced wrote: Canadian tire ordered 100,000 bags which should be in 120 stores throughout the GTA by 4 p.m. Dec. 24.

Don't tell anyone.
10KG/20KG? Brand, price lol?
Proud to be an Indian.
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
djemzine wrote: Some could be trolling, given a fact this is RFD!

10KG/20KG? Brand, price lol?
I guess so lol All the threads I last saw that were the same topic as the weather thread ended up being merged with the weather thread when the mods saw them.

Gotta check the Toronto hydro map now to see if the numbers went down :)

Edit: no they haven't really changed :(
blahhh
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20428 posts
4383 upvotes
Poormond Hill

Don't tell anyone.
Each store getting ~833 bags? Boxing Day sale?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
sandikosh wrote: Each store getting ~833 bags? Boxing Day sale?
Your answer to that other thread was priceless lol

But anyways, I think salt is becoming a valuable commodity and I wonder if Toronto is going to run out of stock!
blahhh
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
39914 posts
5970 upvotes
King City
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Your answer to that other thread was priceless lol

But anyways, I think salt is becoming a valuable commodity and I wonder if Toronto is going to run out of stock!
I need to call up Food Basics tomorrow to see if they restocked with Sifto/Sifo 10KG salt for $2. Crappy Tire had the 20KG bag for $5.49 which is still expensive, as two 10KG bags work out to $4. People needed it on Saturday and so Crappy Tire made money lol off those unfortunate consumers :( .

Out of the 5 bags we bought for this weekend, we used 2. Still need more of course. Salt can run out pretty quickly if not rationing it lol.
Proud to be an Indian.
Jun 2, 2008
241 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
Our power is back! St clair and o'connor
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20428 posts
4383 upvotes
Poormond Hill
djemzine wrote: They're called an ice chopper by the way lol. Shoulda picked one up on Saturday. That's what we did as we didn't own one previously. I can lend you mine if you'd like lol?

I managed to chip some of it off by one if those pointy garden shovels.

djemzine wrote: Don't got space in the garage? Or is there another car inside?
Two car garage with one car parked inside. Other space is occupied with junk.
djemzine wrote: Ah okay. That area is not affected at all by damaged trees, etc?
Just broken branches.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.