Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2020 12:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Typhoonz wrote: As I was flying home today passing thorough 9000feet the temp was 23 celcius! Yes positive.
Whoa! out of this world! lol well, a few km above it :)
What area where you flying over when it was that temperature.

Also, any idea what caused it?
blahhh
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4064 posts
399 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Whoa! out of this world! lol well, a few km above it :)
What area where you flying over when it was that temperature.

Also, any idea what caused it?
It was just south of Ottawa. My guess is it was contributing to the freezing rain and was the result of a temperature inversion. I wish I had access to the upper air analysis at the time but I'm guessing a possible warm front aloft?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Typhoonz wrote: It was just south of Ottawa. My guess is it was contributing to the freezing rain and was the result of a temperature inversion. I wish I had access to the upper air analysis at the time but I'm guessing a possible warm front aloft?
The time of the incidence is also important. Was it happening over top of the storm when it was moving over Ottawa? or was it after all of the storm cleared out?
NYC got to 20 C but that is still not as warm as you recorded 3 km in the sky.
But that low pressure system was very strong so it could have easily pulled up tropical air way up to where the plane was.

this is what I call "meteorological phenomena" ;)
blahhh
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2185 posts
301 upvotes
Toronto
test9251 wrote: no luck. im at scarb town cntr right now charging and using free wifi. will go home late!
Was at STC earlier and everybody single outlet was taken....great that you found one.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4064 posts
399 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: The time of the incidence is also important. Was it happening over top of the storm when it was moving over Ottawa? or was it after all of the storm cleared out?
NYC got to 20 C but that is still not as warm as you recorded 3 km in the sky.
But that low pressure system was very strong so it could have easily pulled up tropical air way up to where the plane was.
It was after. But perhaps the reading on the aircraft was wrong who knows. I just checked the air temp at 9000ft over Ottawa and its recording -22. Who knows!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Typhoonz wrote: It was after. But perhaps the reading on the aircraft was wrong who knows. I just checked the air temp at 9000ft over Ottawa and its recording -22. Who knows!
I was just going to suggest that your data may have corruped or missing a minus signal. I know quite a bit about the atmosphere and I know that very high temperatures can occur at very high altitudes, BUT those are much further up from where you are. Temps generally drop steadily as you go up in the troposphere and the higher you go in the troposphere, the colder it gets. where you fly is in the upper part of the troposphere, maybe near the stratosphere, but that stays cold all the time.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5592 posts
850 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: High of minus ten tomorrow folks! gonna be a cold one! For those without power, I don't know what will happen but looks like it is time to head out because the powerless hosue won't be any good in that kind of cold. Also minus double digit lows in the nights coming up.
very very cold. i needed guts to get off my bed and walk to the washroom. :lol:
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: ^ I did not even get to see the sun today where I am.
saw it from progress avenue.
najibs wrote: Why are you embellishing the situation and calling it a catastrophe? It's FAR from a catastrophe. The hurricane in the phillapines was a catastrophe....they Tsunami of 2004 was a catastrophe....This ice storm is an inconvenience at a really bad time, that's all. Yes, it has ruined many peoples holidays and Christmas celebrations, but so what....most people are alive and having great family time together because they're all huddled around the fireplace rather than their computers as they normally would be...
atleast name the country right, it is Philippines.
djemzine wrote: Their free WiFi doesn't even work. Tried connecting to it today, but gave up lol. Meaning you connect to it, load up the browser on said device (tried it on iPhone and my Android devices) but nada. Eventually just tethered lol.
right now there are VERY few people, and many vacant power slots, internet is great. this is the speedtest result.

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3184370056.png[/IMG]

.. and im downloading some "free" movies at 1.6mbps/second. :lol:
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Damn. that must be hard. Good thing the malls are so great and let people use them as charging centres.

But how weird is this!! This is supposed to be the time of year for Christmas shopping, ornaments and stuff and instead the malls need to be used as charging centres because this storm packed too much of a punch!
Get home safe :)
its so cold in our house, that i had to take out the eggs from the fridge and put it on the shelf to put them on the safe side. house temperature is much colder than the fridge. :lol:

me and my housemate had to come to STC coz we can't bear the cold anymore. don't know what will happen when we go back at around 12 midnight. :cry:
Biff88 wrote: Was at STC earlier and everybody single outlet was taken....great that you found one.
yea, very few ppl now, and its quiet.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote: very very cold. i needed guts to get off my bed and walk to the washroom. :lol:

saw it from progress avenue.

atleast name the country right, it is Philippines.

right now there are VERY few people, and many vacant power slots, internet is great. this is the speedtest result.

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3184370056.png[/IMG]

.. and im downloading some "free" movies at 1.6mbps/second. :lol:

its so cold in our house, that i had to take out the eggs from the fridge and put it on the shelf to put them on the safe side. house temperature is much colder than the fridge. :lol:

me and my housemate had to come to STC coz we can't bear the cold anymore. don't know what will happen when we go back at around 12 midnight. :cry:

yea, very few ppl now, and its quiet.
About seeing the sun, I can see why you got to see very diffrent weather. It is a fair distance from me.
And as for power slots, I am not surprised that everythings all free now. These people are likely pooped from sitting there all day in the mall just to get there phones to do what comes with no effort in normal every day life.
Hope you get back to normal everyday life soon. This cold must be awful!
blahhh
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10904 posts
1738 upvotes
Toronto
Most here in scar have power back. Mine about 3pm, my parents about 2am.

My friends mom's place however had a branch fall on a power line in the Lawrence n markham area so her street is out while the rest of the area has power.

Still large parts of the DVP was out of power around 9pm.

Quite the difference 24 hrs makes. I definitely feel for those still without power. Im also very aware power can still easily go out since many branches are still heavily iced.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
1218 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
cy wrote: Finch and mccowan restored!!!!!!
Yes finally! Hope it will last...!
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
12577 posts
2606 upvotes
Still no power at finch and don mills!!!!
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Hey, I swear the number of incidents has now gone up in southeast Toronto. I see some areas that are now BACK in the purple zone. O boy!
blahhh
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4064 posts
399 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: I was just going to suggest that your data may have corruped or missing a minus signal. I know quite a bit about the atmosphere and I know that very hi

gh temperatures can occur at very high altitudes, BUT those are much further up from where you are. Temps generally drop steadily as you go up in the troposphere and the higher you go in the troposphere, the colder it gets. where you fly is in the upper part of the troposphere, maybe near the stratosphere, but that stays cold all the time.
Yeah the tropopause is -56.9 I think. Still, temperature inversions are pretty common, but maybe not to that extent haha.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
20818 posts
147396 upvotes
GTA
I don't know if this aspect of the storm's aftermath has been touched upon yet, but in any case, just wanted to pass this on as a friendly reminder. A family member's co-worker had his house cleaned out overnight. Computers, electronics, Christmas gifts, all gone. :( It was no fault of theirs in terms of leaving anything unlocked, as the brazen thieves entered through a second story window. Unfortunately, these types of events can bring out the worst in people and present opportunities for criminals, who may be more brazen than usual conveniently working under the cover of darkness. Thieves will get in if they really want to, but no need to make it easy for them. If you're leaving to stay with relatives, ensure all doors and windows are locked/closed and with an extra deadbolt where possible, and check back on your property as often as possible. It's probably better to take some of the valuables that you can easily transport with you as well, even if you don't necessarily need them where you are going to be staying.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Typhoonz wrote: Yeah the tropopause is -56.9 I think. Still, temperature inversions are pretty common, but maybe not to that extent haha.
Yes. I was going to mention that temperature inversions do happen of course, like the ones that cause freezing rain, but the troposphere generally follows a consistent set of rules as far as the elevation-temperature relation goes. hundreds of feet up it can be several degrees above freezing maybe and that can cause freezing rain, but in order for air as warm as you mentioned to get to 3 km, it would have to travel through the 850MB hight leverl to get there. And in winter Toronto never gets 850MB temps that high so it's impossible in that part of the troposphere :)
blahhh