Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2020 12:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
redflagdeal101 wrote: It is great seeing people and major businesses helping out.

Temperatur minus 10, windchill minus 21 :(
Got right down to minus 12 last night plus the windchill. What a brutal thing to happen in a time like this. Down to minus 14 tonight so getting even colder.
The summer one only lasted a night and people barely needed power to survive. Now they basically do and it is taking forever.
blahhh
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
685 posts
151 upvotes
Out There!!!!
Hoping everyone gets there power back on today for Christmas. My heart goes out to you. Only lost ours for 7-8hrs. Good luck, and Merry Christmas all.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 22, 2005
1312 posts
220 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Let's hope that the number of people affected drops substantially tonight because it will be even colder tonight. House temperatures keep dropping and it would be terrible if any more people died from this situation.
My brother's place has dropped to 7C
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2006
1599 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Got right down to minus 12 last night plus the windchill. What a brutal thing to happen in a time like this. Down to minus 14 tonight so getting even colder.
The summer one only lasted a night and people barely needed power to survive. Now they basically do and it is taking forever.
Gotta remember different reasons why the power went down though... Can't compare Summer outage to Winter outages.

Frozen lines, etc... require proper safety equipment to remove and replace. Hydro employees with trees blocking their driveways preventing them from getting to work in time and other factors. Random traffic lights not working, and traffic jams do not help speed things up.

I guess I was lucky that I knocked out most of the branches early enough Sunday before leaving the city probably prevented my tree from collapsing, but didn't stop the power line from breaking/falling down later that day.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Bamelin wrote: My brother's place has dropped to 7C
Ouch! Our food may be designed to refrigerated, but not us. I'm surprised it did not get any lower. Still could drop further though because of what I told you about tonights forecast. I think they should not be there for safety purposes.
blahhh
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
12577 posts
2606 upvotes
Bamelin wrote: My brother's place has dropped to 7C
mine 5.5c now...at finch and don mills.....arrr
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Kaiu wrote: Gotta remember different reasons why the power went down though... Can't compare Summer outage to Winter outages.

Frozen lines, etc... require proper safety equipment to remove and replace. Hydro employees with trees blocking their driveways preventing them from getting to work in time and other factors. Random traffic lights not working, and traffic jams do not help speed things up.

I guess I was lucky that I knocked out most of the branches early enough Sunday before leaving the city probably prevented my tree from collapsing, but didn't stop the power line from breaking/falling down later that day.
Undoubtedly a winter power outage is going to last way longer. I just think it is awful that that is the way things work.
It is quite inevitable that you will have the province stuck in a crisis like this for so much longer because winter is much harsher. Not only is every hour harder to make it through, but these very same harsh conditions cause the whole thing to last much longer.

I don't know why so many people are not using the emergency storm shelters. Those people that died last night would still be alive had they gotten up and went to the storm shelter.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 29, 2006
6424 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto
any news on ttc/subway fully running today???
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 22, 2005
1312 posts
220 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Ouch! Our food may be designed to refrigerated, but not us. I'm surprised it did not get any lower. Still could drop further though because of what I told you about tonights forecast. I think they should not be there for safety purposes.
I'm spending Christmas Eve at my wife's folks place so I have offered them my condo for the night
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
501 wrote: any news on ttc/subway fully running today???
Fest-Ev Delen ‏@evdelen 2h
@KaeliSela TTC fully operational, except the Sheppard Subway.

Tash SocialButterfly ‏@SocaLover77 1h
RT @CP24: Ford says TTC's Sheppard subway line should be up and running by noon.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Bamelin wrote: I'm spending Christmas Eve at my wife's folks place so I have offered them my condo for the night
Ok that's nice. There is always a way to give on Christmas, even if it's not store-bought presents (which are the least important thing in a time like this)
blahhh
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 19, 2003
19126 posts
6000 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: I don't know why so many people are not using the emergency storm shelters. Those people that died last night would still be alive had they gotten up and went to the storm shelter.
They would still be alive if they weren't operating an internal combustion engine within their building envelope... when I heard about people bringing their BBQs indoors and getting hospitalized for CO I was like... really... Darwin would be so disappointed with them getting treated.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17251 posts
710 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: It is a wonderful city, but I must admit, the problems I have seen with it don't fit the kind of city it really is or looks like. It has more issues than it should have. It is possibly the best city to live in in the world, but some problems make it a challenge for that to stay as reality.
Huh? The vast majority of the blackouts over the past 3 days have been caused by a "once in a blue moon" event; the ice storm!

It doesn't matter if the electrical "feeders" on the street are brand-new bought in 2012, or from the year 1965. If the tree next to it keels over under the weight of a ton of ice, that feeder is going DOWN!

Can't believe people are using a natural disaster to whine about the state of infrastructure in Toronto...
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17251 posts
710 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
BinaryJay wrote: They would still be alive if they weren't operating an internal combustion engine within their building envelope... when I heard about people bringing their BBQs indoors and getting hospitalized for CO I was like... really... Darwin would be so disappointed with them getting treated.
Yup those people died because they were being IDIOTS.

Why is it that barely any RFD'ers understand the concept of "personal accountability"?

"waah waaah waah let's blame the gov't/society/God for all our problems waah waaah waaah"
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
konfusion666 wrote: Huh? The vast majority of the blackouts over the past 3 days have been caused by a "once in a blue moon" event; the ice storm!

It doesn't matter if the electrical "feeders" on the street are brand-new bought in 2012, or from the year 1965. If the tree next to it keels over under the weight of a ton of ice, that feeder is going DOWN!

Can't believe people are using a natural disaster to whine about the state of infrastructure in Toronto...
I was just taking what renoldman told us. there are things posted that I never knew about such as this:
renoldman wrote: In regards to the crappy hydro system, when Toronto Hydro amalgamated there was a lot of suspect infrastructure in some parts of the city.

We are talking about the fact that there was NO Drawings of what the system consisted of.

I know that happened back in 1998, but trust me, that's ridiculous. You run a system and you don't know what it is consisted of? Don't worry though it's only the power system.

I also want to point out this article:

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/902257/ ... d-decision

TORONTO, Jan. 5, 2012 /CNW/ - The Ontario Energy Board ("OEB") ruled today to impose the Incentive Regulation Mechanism ("IRM") framework on Toronto Hydro-Electric System Limited ("Toronto Hydro"). Due to the gravity of this decision, Toronto Hydro must now take some time to assess the effect on its operations and determine the steps necessary to comply with the OEB's order.

In today's decision, the Ontario Energy Board declined to hear Toronto Hydro's Cost of Service application, filed in August 2011. Over the past three years, the Ontario Energy Board approved Toronto Hydro's infrastructure renewal plans. However, this decision will mean Toronto Hydro will be required to dismantle the grid renewal structure that has been put in place based on past OEB-approved capital construction budget levels.

Toronto Hydro's capital spend in 2011 totalled $378 million. Today, the OEB has cut the capital budget by approximately 65 per cent. This has far reaching ramifications that will impact not only customer service, safety and reliability, but employees within the utility and other industries and suppliers.

Further, with this decision, the asset replacement cycle has been changed to approximately 97 years from the previously OEB-approved 30 years.

Toronto Hydro, in its submission, made it clear that the IRM framework will result in the reduction of its capital spending to a level that will not enable the company to adequately maintain and renew Toronto's aging distribution system. This will likely result in deteriorating service, an increase in power outages, an increased risk to public safety, slower call centre response times, as well as the likelihood of major workforce downsizing.


Guess we found out in 2013 what that really means.
blahhh

Top