Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2019 2:06 pm
Jan 6, 2011
51 posts
4 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Dec 24th, 2013 4:16 pm
Ok. I know I have every right to leave. I actually read over that stuff recently. "if the house can no longer be suitable for living then you are entitled to leave without consequence" But the dude already got my postdated cheques through June and is in China as of last night, right after the storm finished. I just hope he is honest and if this house becomes a wrecj because of the stupid ice storm, I can leave and he won't go deposit those cheques on me.
If you don't get power back, it won't have anything to do with the landlord, it's because of the Hydro company not getting to it yet.

If worse comes to worse and somehow he's responsible for no power, just go to the Bank and put a stop payment on the cheques.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
8594 posts
3674 upvotes
transitguy1 wrote:
Dec 24th, 2013 3:58 pm
they should've summoned the military to assist with TREE CLEARING at the least......so that hydro workers could work on the power lines

that way power would be retored earlier than 3-4 days for many.

these politicians with their egos in their power homes.
Of course. But our mayor is a ***** so......
Dec 3, 2012
184 posts
23 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
StopTheCharade wrote:
Dec 24th, 2013 4:00 pm
Yah but he must be working a ton of overtime hours. More money is always good! Especially when the gov is your employer. He should do as much OT as he can.
Managers don't get paid overtime, just the tech's, but the union tech's and contractors need to be organized by Hydro. Maybe he should start causing a stink and come home since it's all about earning overtime, not getting back power to people.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
8594 posts
3674 upvotes
Thoughts are with those who are still without power. This is terrible.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
thewalker wrote:
Dec 24th, 2013 4:49 pm
If you don't get power back, it won't have anything to do with the landlord, it's because of the Hydro company not getting to it yet.

If worse comes to worse and somehow he's responsible for no power, just go to the Bank and put a stop payment on the cheques.
Ok thanks. The power is on in the house. All is fine ... for now. But we are one branch fall away from losing power because there is a ton of storm debris on the wire connecting the house to the street lines.

I will take your advice on what you said about the cheques if it gets to that point, just like I got some other good advice on this thread. I just hope that it doesn't get to that point, the storm cleanup is done properly and safely and I won't have to make any serious moves with this.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
JayLove06 wrote:
Dec 24th, 2013 4:57 pm
Thoughts are with those who are still without power. This is terrible.
Yes. Temperature never got up above the minus double digits today and now they are going back down again.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
7267 posts
2358 upvotes
Toronto
Fantaz wrote:
Dec 24th, 2013 3:57 pm
Pape & O'Connor

it's still not working for you? the power's working here now for me

so first thing gonna do now is I'm going to take a nice hot shower and go take a nap

not according to my friend who lives on Woodville Avenue :( I hope it is getting close for her...
Sep 19, 2009
796 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
I don't understand how Toronto hydro is deciding which neighborhood to switch on. Half of mine is on and half is off.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2012
2744 posts
622 upvotes
Toronto
gotridet wrote:
Dec 24th, 2013 5:08 pm
I don't understand how Toronto hydro is deciding which neighborhood to switch on. Half of mine is on and half is off.
Well Thats How I felt Yesterday! 25 meters away There was power all around and then 2 km the other way was completely blacked out :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2012
2680 posts
1228 upvotes
Ottawa
JayLove06 wrote:
Dec 24th, 2013 4:51 pm
Of course. But our mayor is a ***** so......
A crew + equipment was sent from Ottawa to help on Sunday. A second crew went yesterday. Crews from Windsor are also there or on the way as well as U.S. crews.

Call in the Army, sheeesh. Your mayor saved you from being the butt of jokes for decades to come. People still laugh about Lastman's snow job.

There are quite a few people ahead of the mayor who deserve to have a finger pointed at for the scope of the mess.
prae praesto filum clostrum
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7153 posts
1720 upvotes
rayray13 wrote:
Dec 24th, 2013 5:16 pm
Call in the Army, sheeesh. Your mayor saved you from being the butt of jokes for decades to come. People still laugh about Lastman's snow job
lol our mayor will already be the butt of jokes for decades to come
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
TORONTO DECLARING A DISASTER COULD SAVE THE CITY MILLIONS IN CLEAN-UP & INSURANCE COSTS

On December 21 and 22, 2013, Toronto was hit by an ice storm that left hundreds of thousands without power, and much of the city paralyzed. The storm brought freezing rain which coated trees with ice, brought down power lines and caused travel to come to a virtual halt.

Public transportation was curtailed, and is slowly being restored. Anywhere from 250,000 to 300,000 residences were hit by power outages, with power in some areas not expected to be restored before Boxing Day.

Downed trees and power lines are a common sight on the streets of the city, with branches falling on private property and along the city streets. There have been extensive reports of fallen trees destroying private property.

Where the next stage should be devoted to clean up; that stage is being shared by a power play between Mayor Rob Ford and Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly. As you know, City Council striped Mayor Ford of most of his authority.

Only the Mayor can declare a state of emergency. But it would be up to Kelly, the Deputy Mayor to manage the situation once Ford makes the declaration. However, Ford has been reluctant to declare a state of emergency quite possibly because it would mean passing all authority to Kelly.

The power play has become even more convoluted. At a press conference, the Mayor stated that a call for a “state of emergency is not needed at this time”. But the city manager, sent an email to Mr. Ford and Mr. Kelly suggesting that they prepare to declare a state of emergency. Kelly also stated that he was not aware that city staff had approached Mayor Ford, asking him to declare a state of emergency Sunday.

Further, in not declaring a state of emergency the deputy city manager stated that:

We were concerned that the province would not give us the help we need unless we declare a state of emergency … But that turned out to not be the case.

There has to be more to it than that! Do you remember the winter storm of 1999, when the mayor at the time, Mel Lastman called in the army so that they could go shopping at Yorkdale. At the time he and the City’s Finance Committee Chair, and Treasurer, missed the boat by not declaring a state of emergency or disaster through the Ontario Disaster Relief Program. By doing this, the City would have been eligible to receive $6 million in relief which would have helped cover the unforeseen clean-up costs. But we received nothing!

The same is true now! If the City declares a disaster, it could be eligible for millions in aid for the cost of clean-up, removal of limbs, staff overtime costs, assistance to non-profit organizations and churches for damages, etc. With all the trees falling on private property and private motor vehicles, I anticipate seeing hundreds of insurance claims against the City. We have to remember that the City is self insured, so the brunt of these claims will be borne by the City’s taxpayers.

There is a huge difference between getting help from the Province with the clean-up, and the City’s taxpayers paying for the costs of this unforeseen clean-up. What about the additional labour costs, and all those insurance claims that the City will be facing? Were any churches, schools, non-profit organization structures damaged by falling trees? If so, they may not be able to afford the repairs needed. For that matter, the taxpayer can’t afford it, either!

All the City of Toronto has to do is adopt a council resolution requesting a disaster area declaration within 14 days of the disaster having occurred. What do we have to lose? If you do not ask, you will never receive!

http://georgeberger.wordpress.com/2013/ ... nce-costs/
blahhh
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2010
1700 posts
136 upvotes
StopTheCharade wrote:
Dec 24th, 2013 3:34 pm
How much do hydro workers get paid. Sweet job with benefits and pension.
Whatever it is they get paid, it's not nearly enough. This latest blackout has shown just how unappreciated and undercompensated these workers are.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2012
2680 posts
1228 upvotes
Ottawa
LNahid2000 wrote:
Dec 24th, 2013 5:20 pm
lol our mayor will already be the butt of jokes for decades to come
Comedy is a cruel mistress.
prae praesto filum clostrum
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2005
1312 posts
220 upvotes
An opposing point of view:

They keep on trying to take him out but nothing ever seems to work. Mayor Rob Ford keeps on popping back up.

Councillor Josh Matlow, for example, was pushing for the mayor to declare an emergency which would effectively render him powerless to lead the storm recovery effort.

Councillor's James Pasternak, Joe Mihevc, Kristyn Wong-Tam and Mike Del Grande wanted this too.

"It's time the mayor declare a state of emergency to support the 250,000 customers w/o power & to ensure our streets are safe & accessible," cried out Matlow in a tweet.

The former candidate for the provincial Liberal Party later issued a release in which he said "I have also requested, along with many of my colleagues, that the mayor declare a state of emergency."

He continued "while this might sound dramatic, it really is simply a procedure to formally request the Province and other municipalities for additional resources to help the City of Toronto ensure our streets are safe and accessible, and as soon as possible. It also sets forward an Emergency Management Team with the Deputy-Mayor as its Chair."

And there it is.

Move the elected mayor aside and put the man with executive powers in charge, Councillor Norm Kelly who is a former Liberal member of parliament in the Trudeau years.

Probably just a coincidence that the first person he spoke with Sunday was none other than Liberal Premier Kathleen Wynne, who has in the past said the "mayor needs to deal with his personal issues" while not mentioning the billions of dollars worth of scandals at her own feet.

But Ford has not budged on the political pressure --saying such a move just before Christmas is not so far necessary and could potentially "shut down" the city and cost taxpayers, retailers and the business world millions of dollars.

"We are keeping an eye on things," he said of the storm that has left 250,000 households without power. "If there is a need for an emergency declaration we would do that. But we are nowhere near that."

It's not something Ford's enemies wanted to hear.

Maybe now they will end the games. Now that city manager Joe Pennachetti has stood up to be counted, perhaps now those on council who want the mayor out as mayor--following his earlier admission to smoking crack cocaine --will end their shameless attempted power grab.

"If the city believed that it was necessary to seek these additional powers through requesting a declaration of emergency, it would do so," Pennachetti wrote in an email Monday to councillors, the deputy mayor and mayor.

"However, the city does not believe it is currently necessary."

He also wrote "the Province has indicated that all available resources will be provided regardless of the declaration of an emergency."

Well how about that Matlow and crew?

Meanwhile city staff and the people in the Hydro game are getting a handle on the power failure catastrophe with Ford showing strong leadership at the helm.

It must frustrating for those who can't destroy him.

It's been bizarre watching Kelly trying to compete with Ford in this crisis-- sending out what appears almost like a duelling update in an email and trying to share the news conference podium.

Had the emergency been called, Kelly would have in essence been council's choice to be the go to guy.

But there has not been any need for that and no other nearby municipality called for one either.

So efforts through the deputy city manager the night before to try to get the mayor to call for one, should be probed further to determine if there was a political purpose and what it would have cost the taxpayers to accomplish a political power play?

Meanwhile the mayor, who has in several polls shown to have between 39 to 42% approval rating, has been leading the city through the mess.

He has been out to comfort families, been to warming centres, hospitals and working the phones at city hall.

Ford praised police for opening stations to the newly homeless but on behalf of many resident complaints passed along the concern that people would like to see more officers directing traffic in prime areas at prime times.

"There are so many intersections in need of it like Yonge and Finch which is really a mess," said Ford.

While others try to usurp his authority and force Toronto into an official state of emergency that is not necessary, Ford has been battling behind the scenes on behalf of residents-- particularly those who were given parking tickets for moving the cars out from under about to fall trees in their driveways to the street.

"In a crisis like this, I suggest (they) ease off (and) go easy for the next couple of days," he said of the parking officers, adding the idea of handing out parking tickets at this vulnerable time is "ridiculous."

Almost as much so as the attempts to subvert the authority of an elected mayor in a crisis.
http://m.torontosun.com/2013/12/24/mayo ... ing-crisis