Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2019 2:06 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2008
1352 posts
91 upvotes
this morning is cold still at -35 but better than yesterday at -40.. always fun to work outdoors in this weather especially when truck is blowing cold air instead of heat!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
dealsbond wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2014 11:30 pm
If the screw up continues like this for a couple of years, we can then name Toronto as the pole.T-dot err T-pole . Hopefully we be back to normal in a couple of weeks.
Lol yes! That is what it will become!
Simaahoy wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2014 11:45 pm
Wait, so this storm hitting NYC right now, is the same one that will hit Toronto? Correct?
No another one is coming lol
There are lots of storm coming through as of late.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
andryou wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2014 3:01 am
OP, just a request: can you update the first post in this thread with the latest info? (e.g. about the possible blizzard on Monday)

Thank you for your insight and forecasts!
YEs I will start putting the latest info in that post. That is a good idea because my updates will be hard to find between all the other posts of course.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Take a look at this temperature map. Look at how it is getting so much warmer after the 9th and note all the blues getting replaced by reds in the second map. Looks like my forecast of "getting much warmer after the 9th" is coming true after all.
[IMG]http://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product ... NAsfcT.gif[/IMG]

Update. All the other maps are red too in our region in the long range forecast too so that warmup really is coming
[IMG]http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/p ... 264.00.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/p ... mp.new.gif[/IMG]
blahhh
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1730 posts
259 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2014 2:09 am
5 bangs in the last hr from my roof...just started an hr ago
started late last night here :o
at1212b wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2014 2:05 am
I was just outside hooking up a charger for the car, since my battery seems a bit sluggish in the extreme cold, and mann, it is freezing. I can feel the chill just seep through my pants.

I was heading out for longer periods, I'd definitely get the thermal underwear going.
couldn't start the car this morning, parked outside the whole night. :S
Wedding & Child Photographer ~ happily photographing
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19002 posts
5900 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
I can't wait to mow my lawn. :(
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19002 posts
5900 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2014 2:09 am
5 bangs in the last hr from my roof...just started an hr ago
My house isn't making any noise... ??? I guess they don't build them like they used to huh? :)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
I wonder if it was more of those cryoseisms that happened after the ice storm.

Damn! I missed it again! lol
blahhh
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
12120 posts
1805 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Accuweather says TO will be -2C and windchill of only -10C tomorrow. Ahhhh, back to tanning weather. :razz:
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
aznnorth wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2014 8:46 am
Accuweather says TO will be -2C and windchill of only -10C tomorrow. Ahhhh, back to tanning weather. :razz:
Lol. we won't be that lucky for now.
The thing about winter is that when the temperatures go up, the sun goes away! So no tanning sorry lol
I used to catch some rays starting in February when I live in Barrie. February is the first month that it is actually easy to get mild, even above freezing temperatures WITH sun. So it's coming, but we just gotta wait a little bit long longer.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Henry Margusity - Accuweather

More Sharing ServicesShare | Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on linkedin
Snowstorm Sunday to Monday... Another Later Next Week
January 03, 2014; 8:56 AM
Comments
Note: I will be out of town next week at CES in Vegas so no blog posts or videos.
1. While it's very cold today, the next cold air mass coming in Monday and Tuesday next week will be even colder to the point of being dangerous from the northern Plains to the Northeast. Highs may not get above 0! Lake-effect snow will be heavy, and some areas may pick up 1-3 feet of snow.
2. Snow map is up for the next storm hitting the Midwest and Ohio Valley. I think this storm will produce a large area of 6+ inches of snow followed by rapid temperature drops.
3. Another storm later next week will bring another round of moderate to heavy snow to almost the same areas. It's not out of the question that parts of the Midwest and Ohio Valley have 1-3 feet of snow on the ground by the time the January thaw hits around the 13th, which brings up the flooding issue that week.
[IMG]http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/p ... evere2.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/p ... 8_hd36.jpg[/IMG]
The next storm that is going to bring us even more snow.
[IMG]http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/p ... evere1.png[/IMG]
blahhh
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2004
2772 posts
53 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2014 8:20 am
My house isn't making any noise... ??? I guess they don't build them like they used to huh? :)
I might be "frost quakes". I felt two booms last night and my chandelier shook a bit. My house is on a ravine lot, so there's a concentration of water (ice) near by.
A “frost quake,” scientifically known as a cryoseism, is a rare weather phenomenon set off by a sudden drop in temperature, from above freezing to below 0 C, causing water in the ground to freeze. Soil or rock saturated with water will expand, putting pressure on surrounding soil and rock until an explosion is caused.
:arrowl: Thank me if you find my post helpful :)