Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2020 9:48 am
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
40044 posts
6027 upvotes
King City
Just woke up now lol. Seems my folks shoveled a bit of snkow this morning.
Proud to be an Indian.
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Back on topic to the present. Accuweather has their latest precipitation type map out and it shows that the heaviest snow zone extends from T-dot northward. The rain snow line is not expected by Accuweather to get beyond Buffalo. NOAA also does not expect a change over to rain in the Niagara region so all this is pointing to the consensus that we are getting some of the heaviest snow and there won't be a switch to rain.

now for the map
[IMG]http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/p ... 2_hd33.jpg[/IMG]
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
djemzine wrote: Just woke up now lol. Seems my folks shoveled a bit of snkow this morning.
Ok nice. you arrived just in time for the newly updated Accuweather map I just posted above. Looks like plenty more to shovel soon.
blahhh
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19158 posts
6042 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
There isn't a ton of snow in my weather network forecast for my postal code... 2-4 cm this evening.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
BinaryJay wrote: There isn't a ton of snow in my weather network forecast for my postal code... 2-4 cm this evening.
All main sources failed last night too. They failed to predict that we would get a few cm of snow last night because it came further south. I still think my forecast for 15 cm near the lake and 25 cm in the north of the GTA should more or less hold as those same numbers.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3425 posts
635 upvotes
London
We cannot have rain, the roofers had some issues and weren't able to get my roof done before the snow started, I'm screwed if we get rain. Stupid high needs roof :(
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
snow00774 wrote: We cannot have rain, the roofers had some issues and weren't able to get my roof done before the snow started, I'm screwed if we get rain. Stupid high needs roof :(
You are lucky with this storm, but are they crazy? they should know tha southern Ontario can get a lot of rain in the winter time, often more than what comes during the fall. So you have to get that fixed.

You better watch watch out, you better not delay, You better get on it I'm tellin you why,
Lots of rain is coming... to town!
No serious, you saw the post on the other page I bet (one about the big warmup and rain that's on the way). So you are at risk of a lot of leakage because of all that rian and melting that is coming next week. Get tarps or something.
blahhh
Sep 6, 2010
762 posts
92 upvotes
Waterloo
Darn, was hoping to go snowboarding the coming weekend. But if all the fluff are gone by then :(
Dec 8, 2012
56 posts
7 upvotes
Ontario
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Thanks! It's an honor!
Thank you so much! I found this thread a few days ago and have been checking frequently everyday :) . I commute to work at 6:30am from Mountain Hamilton to Mississauga with the snow falling is a stressful driving :(
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
CsG wrote: Darn, was hoping to go snowboarding the coming weekend. But if all the fluff are gone by then :(
Not quite. lol You can still get that in for a weekend as the rain part is not supposed to start till about Tuesday. But I see how you can hate this. It's middle of winter and you want to enjoy winter sports, but then you have the worry of it being gone after the weeknd. It sucks.

And on top of that, they can't make snow with the machines in that warm weather. But they should have enough made on the resort's hills that there will still be enough left to go, but not nearly as good as before it takes a beating by warm rainy weather.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Mzviolet wrote: Thank you so much! I found this thread a few days ago and have been checking frequently everyday :) . I commute to work at 6:30am from Mountain Hamilton to Mississauga with the snow falling is a stressful driving :(
Ok. you are welcome. Great that you found this thread. A lot of other people have found it during the ice storm and have also since been returning for more reliable weather updates.

But no worries. Because as you can see discussed here, the winter weather is going away for a bit after this storm. But not everybody in this thread likes that lol
blahhh
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
40044 posts
6027 upvotes
King City
So no Freezing Rain for RH? Even though on TWN it says [QUOTE]A couple hours of freezing rain possible north of lakes Erie and Ontario this evening[/QUOTE]?

Hmm OP it also seems according to TWN, the snowfall accumulation for the afternoon or so has been dumbed down to 5CM. Don't see anymore 15cm to 20cm. Even overnight there will be rain and snow mix. Less than 1mm of rain and 1 cm to 3cm of snow. Don't see any big accumulation.

Thoughts? What does the European/GFS model say for RH for today?
Proud to be an Indian.
Jun 15, 2011
40044 posts
6027 upvotes
King City
Proud to be an Indian.
Aug 27, 2012
5600 posts
851 upvotes
Toronto
what am i seeing, freezing rain for toronto?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
djemzine wrote: So no Freezing Rain for RH? Even though on TWN it says ?

Hmm OP it also seems according to TWN, the snowfall accumulation for the afternoon or so has been dumbed down to 5CM. Don't see anymore 15cm to 20cm. Even overnight there will be rain and snow mix. Less than 1mm of rain and 1 cm to 3cm of snow. Don't see any big accumulation.

Thoughts? What does the European/GFS model say for RH for today?
I am afraid that the latest run of the GFS model shows a brief switchover to rain overnight. My EURO model isn't working so that sucks. There are a lot of conflicting signals because NOAA and Accuweather still give the rain/snowline a limit in the Niagara region with no changeover in Toronto. Never have I ever seen a storm with so much conflict in all the models right when the storm is already rolling in.
blahhh