Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2020 9:48 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
edgedamage wrote: Notice the big hole in the image around toronto? KBUF went down last night and needs a part.
I totally missed this post and didn't even notice it was there lol

I was wondering why nothing appeared around Toronto in the image. It gives people the false sense that the storm is skipping us when it's actually not! I hate when radars go down when you need them most! Good thing we still have the King City one to use but it won't do us any good on this map.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Now see what I mean by this whole last minute nonsense going on? Here we go again. A snowfall warning has now been issued halfway through the storm!!! I guess my thread title I had up to now "Alert to possible last minute development of T-Dot snowstorm" lived up to it's name. This is last minute alright!!! lol

Alerts for: City of Toronto
Warnings

City of Toronto
8:17 AM EST Wednesday 05 February 2014
Snowfall warning for
City of Toronto issued

Significant snowfall today.

Snow continues over Southern Ontario in association with a low pressure system tracking from Southern Ohio to New England. The snow is expected to fall rather heavily at times through much of the morning and into the afternoon in many areas. Gusty northeast winds are also expected to develop this morning resulting in local blowing snow. Travellers should allow considerable extra time due to accumulating snow and reduced visibility in falling and blowing snow, and consider delaying travel if possible.

Total snow amounts of 15 cm are likely in the warned regions with amounts of 20 cm possible in the Hamilton and Niagara regions before the snow tapers off from west to east this afternoon.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
ji2o0k wrote: loving it.....lots of snow in Richmond Hill!

Though I will probably have to go tonight and help the folks shovel their driveway.....arggghhhh.....
How nice. Here where I am in this part of T-Dot, nobody will help anyone else with that!
blahhh
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
2026 posts
211 upvotes
Thornhill
just woke up! wow, i love the thickness of the snow :p

....screw it, i'm not ganna go to school :) )
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6411 posts
1913 upvotes
There was about 5cm on the ground in Halton Hills when I got up to shovel this morning. Drive into Guelph via 401 was slower than normal (80-90km/h average) but much better than the last storm where everything was crawling at 40km/h.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Looks pretty bad on the RADAR. It is increasing in intensity.

Worst seems to be northern half of Etobicoke, most of North York as well as all of Brampton.
North of Erin Mills parkway looks like some of the worst as well.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
2026 posts
211 upvotes
Thornhill
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Looks pretty bad on the RADAR. It is increasing in intensity.

Worst seems to be northern half of Etobicoke, most of North York as well as all of Brampton.
North of Erin Mills parkway looks like some of the worst as well.
the weather network assumes 5~cm for wed morn, then 1cm wed afternoon, does that sound about right?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Bencherstyle wrote: the weather network assumes 5~cm for wed morn, then 1cm wed afternoon, does that sound about right?
Based on what I am seeing, it likely won't be far off, if you count that as starting now. With the rate at which it is falling now, the morning total will most likely far exceed that amount, but from this moment on it should be safe to expect a total of 6 cm more as half this heavy snow band already dropped its snow. We may go above or below that amount by a cm or so since the exact setup of the snowband can't be known perfectly and snowfall amounts will vary by location in Toronto. the closer you are to Brampton, I think the easier it will be to exceed that amount mentioned.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6411 posts
1913 upvotes
So after this storm, is there more snow to come in the foreseeable forecast?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
BluePhirePB wrote: So after this storm, is there more snow to come in the foreseeable forecast?
The storm that I saw for the 9th appears to have disappeared almost completely from the GFS model. Now all that remains in it is a bit of light snow, like maybe 3 cm. So a very weak storm for the 9th. It could come back still, but as of now, it has been reduced to a very small one and will very likely stay that way.

After that, I am just seeing a few weak storm systems with light snow. I am seeing in the GFS a good chance that we end up seeing frequent bouts of snow, but very weak at that. All miniature storms showing up in the model. I will keep a watch out for any big ones if I see them, but won't take them seriously until they actually hold steady in the projections.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6411 posts
1913 upvotes
Ah ok good. I'm getting tired of snow ... winter for that matter. It's been the "worst" winter in recent memory.