Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2019 2:06 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8167 posts
1802 upvotes
Ontario
toopence wrote:
Mar 21st, 2014 1:11 pm
Amazes me how people are whinging about the cold weather.....so much for being "Canadians". I bet Scandinavians, Austrians and the Swiss don't complain about the cold......I know they don't
Well, considering it was the worst winter weather in 35 years, for many, they never had to experience it THIS bad!
When they say, "it aint like it used to be", I suppose it also is in reference to the weather.
Cold I don't mind, but for everything there is a season, and as I look at my calendar, Winter it aint! ;)
Banned
Jul 6, 2011
1284 posts
37 upvotes
onlineharvest wrote:
Mar 21st, 2014 1:21 pm
Well, considering it was the worst winter weather in 35 years, for many, they never had to experience it THIS bad!
When they say, "it aint like it used to be", I suppose it also is in reference to the weather.
Cold I don't mind, but for everything there is a season, and as I look at my calendar, Winter it aint! ;)
So you live your life by a script then? LOL
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Yes there is supposed to be a balance of some kind. You can't blame Canadian for complaining about a winter that is unlike anything Canada has experienced in modern times. Give Canadians a proper Canadian winter and they will stop complaining! When the weather is worse here than the Arctic and Siberia, I don't blame people for complaining. This is just plain ridiculous. And to make matters worse, the length of it was an added curse that made it that much more unusual. If every winter were like 08 09 or 10, I bet there would be zero complaints in this thread about the weather.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Oooooh! I like what I'm seein in the GFS. Now the long range is REALLY heating up!!!!!

EDIT: on a side note, I have noticed a lot of locked threads lately :|
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
EnvironmentCanada.The.Crappiest.Weather.Service.In.The.World! wrote: Alerts for: City of Toronto
Warnings

1:15 PM EDT Friday 21 March 2014
Freezing rain warning in effect for:

City of Toronto
A mixture of snow and freezing rain tonight.

It may be the first full day of spring, but it's no surprise that mother nature is still in a wintery mood. A potent disturbance currently over Minnesota is expected to carve a path across Southern Ontario tonight with the centre of low pressure likely to cross the Toronto area after midnight.

A brief period of heavy snow followed by freezing rain is expected beginning late this evening near Lake Huron reaching the Golden Horseshoe shortly after midnight. It will end quickly from west to east later tonight, but not before delivering several centimetres of snow followed by a period of freezing rain. The snow and freezing rain may come down quite heavily at times in the overnight period. Most of the snow preceding the freezing rain is expected from Huron-Perth to Toronto and very little from London to Hamilton. Although the duration of freezing rain is not expected to be significant, the accumulation of a few millimetres of ice will lead to hazardous travel conditions on untreated roads. Also some sporadic power outages are possible but not expected to be widespread.

Travellers are urged to use caution later tonight due to poor visibilities in heavy snow followed by slippery conditions on untreated roads.
I am rooting more for snow, changing to rain in southern sections. Accumulations of snow won't be enough for warnings, but could heavy. But also, the worst will be during the least travelled part of a 24 hour period; the predawn hours when hardly anyone is on the road. So all of this will just get missed anyways.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5498 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto
onlineharvest wrote:
i don't mind the cold, its the freaking winds which makes go things bad. i can live here even if it was 12 months winter/cold.
Nov 22, 2012
658 posts
24 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Mar 21st, 2014 2:21 pm
Oooooh! I like what I'm seein in the GFS. Now the long range is REALLY heating up!!!!!

EDIT: on a side note, I have noticed a lot of locked threads lately :|
What do you mean? Is it going to be in teens? 20's? :cheesygri
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
saugadealhunter wrote:
Mar 21st, 2014 3:27 pm
What do you mean? Is it going to be in teens? 20's? :cheesygri
Not quite 20s, though temps getting a bit past 10 degrees, so it's actually not far off either. The GFS is lining up with what needs to happen for us to get temps like those 14s we are seeing in Accuweather's long range forecast. So a major improvement is starting next week ;)

Although those double digits should not start till the following week.
blahhh
Sep 16, 2007
905 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Mar 21st, 2014 3:44 pm
Not quite 20s, though temps getting a bit past 10 degrees, so it's actually not far off either. The GFS is lining up with what needs to happen for us to get temps like those 14s we are seeing in Accuweather's long range forecast. So a major improvement is starting next week ;)

Although those double digits should not start till the following week.

So we can take off the snow tires April 1? :p lol
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2065 posts
359 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
I hope these warnings are all a joke, it looks lovely outside right now and has been nice and sunny today. I saw quite a few people walking around in t-shirts or with no coats. I don't think its warm enough for that yet but I guess a few people must have been inspired by the sunshine to dress like it was spring or summer.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20269 posts
4229 upvotes
Poormond Hill
onlineharvest wrote:
Worst? To me it's the best winter I have yet to experience! I love it!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20269 posts
4229 upvotes
Poormond Hill
JACKIE26 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2014 4:13 pm
I hope these warnings are all a joke, it looks lovely outside right now and has been nice and sunny today. I saw quite a few people walking around in t-shirts or with no coats. I don't think its warm enough for that yet but I guess a few people must have been inspired by the sunshine to dress like it was spring or summer.
I think it's who can get a tan first.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
--StayFly-- wrote:
Mar 21st, 2014 4:00 pm
So we can take off the snow tires April 1? :p lol
It is safe to say you can take them off as soon as we finish up with this snowfall we are getting tonight. While we are about to get cold behind it, the remaining cold this weekend and early next week has no snow going along with it before we get going with the warmup middle of next week. So you won't need the winter tires after tonight, but you will need the hat, mitts and CG for this last shot of cold dry air.
blahhh