Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2019 8:47 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2593 posts
411 upvotes
Kagaaruk, NU
i'll take an el nini over la nino ANY DAY, ANY TIME.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11587 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
dc200 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2014 7:45 pm
i'll take an el nini over la nino ANY DAY, ANY TIME.
Your in luck cuz el nini is scheduled to arrive and replace el nino shortly. Enjoy new weather including raining real catz and dogz. And there will be real pots of gold at the ends of rainbows too.

EDIT: damn GFS! now it shows tons of rain early next week. I am not looking forward to that much rain.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2593 posts
411 upvotes
Kagaaruk, NU
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Apr 9th, 2014 8:23 pm
Your in luck cuz el nini is scheduled to arrive and replace el nino shortly. Enjoy new weather including raining real catz and dogz. And there will be real pots of gold at the ends of rainbows too.

EDIT: damn GFS! now it shows tons of rain early next week. I am not looking forward to that much rain.
what do you mean by that? you just said that el nino is returning for 2014. how can we have la nina and el nini in the same year?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5484 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
dc200 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2014 8:41 pm
what do you mean by that? you just said that el nino is returning for 2014. how can we have la nina and el nini in the same year?
It is because of the El nono effect.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
18851 posts
5646 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Is it just me or does it seem like the OP feels the need to dramatize now to keep this thread going after the ice storm?
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2593 posts
411 upvotes
Kagaaruk, NU
BinaryJay wrote:
Apr 9th, 2014 9:28 pm
Is it just me or does it seem like the OP feels the need to dramatize now to keep this thread going after the ice storm?
yeah, next thread title will be "MONSTROUSLY CLEAR BLUE SKIES WITH BEASTLY SUNSHINE AHEAD FOR T-DOT"
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2012
2724 posts
615 upvotes
Toronto
dc200 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2014 10:06 pm
yeah, next thread title will be "MONSTROUSLY CLEAR BLUE SKIES WITH BEASTLY SUNSHINE AHEAD FOR T-DOT"
With a 30% chance of gargantuan clouds
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2010
1000 posts
465 upvotes
Ajax, ON
BinaryJay wrote:
+1 ....I was thinking exactly the same and "How many more times OP is going to repeat that he/she is moving to Peru and then Philippines.?"

But hey...I do appreciate the effort, great information OP is giving us. Fun thread for sure.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11587 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2014 8:59 pm
It is because of the El nono effect.
Sorry. the el nono effect only applies in Kitchener, Guelph, Caloocan, and Zamboanga. The rest of the world is exempted. For anyone residing in the aforementioned cities, take cover for the rest of the year.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11587 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
dc200 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2014 10:06 pm
No it will be "OUTSTANDINGLY CALM WINDS AND OUTRAGEOUSLY COMFORTABLE TEMPS TO PLAGUE T-DOT"
BinaryJay wrote:
That ended what seems lik ages ago. We have been through polar vortexes, moar storms behaving unexpectedly and what turned out to be the coldest winter possibly ever recorded (and the winter with by far the longest continuous period of snow observed on the ground) So there has been much moar since the ice storm. That was only the beginning of the most eventful winter most of us have ever seen ;)

EDIT: uh oh. The cold front has been returned to its very strong form in the EURO model for early next week.

Although the long range is super! I see tons of warm for the whole forecast period apart from that cold front.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11587 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
dc200 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2014 8:41 pm
It depends on where you live. If you live in Toronto, Quillabamba or Manila, you get el nino. If you live in the cities I mentioned earlier, you get el nono. El nini's effects will only be felt in Yellowknife, west Winnipeg and Surigao, Philippines. So don't worry. Everything will be fine.

La nina won't even happen this year. Just el nino, el nini and el nono :|

EDIT: on a serious note, you should be concerned about food prices this year, because this years el nino event is expected to at least match the 1997 one. I have yet to resarch the actual effects it had. Anyone interested to get to know what we are in for, research the el nino of that year and it will give you a good idea of what is likely coming. For many, it could be pretty bad. I am not sure if it impacts regions where we source our food. That will determine the effect it has on food prices and the kinds of foods that get expensive. Maybe rice and wheat derived products will suffer.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2505 posts
601 upvotes
Scarborough
ToDealHunter wrote:
Apr 10th, 2014 3:00 am
+1 .......

But hey...I do appreciate the effort, great information OP is giving us. Fun thread for sure.
+1

A LOT of us appreciate the great info.

So what when OP meanders to his future travel plans?

Don't respond if you've nothing to say...
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11587 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Samwfive wrote:
Apr 10th, 2014 7:46 am
+1

A LOT of us appreciate the great info.

So what when OP meanders to his future travel plans?

Don't respond if you've nothing to say...
I have already decided for sure I am going to be connected to the internet. Because of el nino and its potentially major impact on where I will be living, I will be sure to be continuing weather watching and will be here. I may be absent for the first 4 months because the stupid internet provider in Peru fails to tell me if Quillabamba has any kind of internet available :|
blahhh
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2054 posts
346 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
The Weather Network is forecasting flurries on Tuesday, so quit giving the OP a hard time.

We all appreciated and were greatful for his advance weather warning all winter. Lots of us like hearing about the OP's travel adventures lots of us would like to do what he is doing, but can't just pick up and go when you have kids a mortgage etc. gives us a chance to enjoy his travels.

Which reminds I really hope he does come back either here or on some other site and lets us know about his adventures and posts some pictures etc. I know I am not the only that is interested.

I have enjoyed this thread its one where everyone has had fun discussing weather and travels and has been free of sniping so let's keep it that way.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
578 upvotes
Toronto
It's windy out, but I kind of like it lol
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)