Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2020 9:48 am
Apr 24, 2011
352 posts
135 upvotes
Scarborough
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: One of the things about El nino is that its effects are limited in summer, in particular here. It only tends to modify winter, leaving summer to be controlled by any other active weather indices. So summer can do anything really. Winter, expect it to be much much warmer than the last one. that's all really.

I remember 2 summers ago. Everything turned brown for month of July. LAst summer the same thing happened, only in August instead and slightly less severe.
I really, really hope you're right about the bolded part. I can't do another winter like that....unless I find a job I can work from home or something. All you lucky ppl with that luxury :(
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
axis81 wrote: I really, really hope you're right about the bolded part. I can't do another winter like that....unless I find a job I can work from home or something. All you lucky ppl with that luxury :(
If you can find a work from home job, why not just leave Canada all together? :) If you ever get such a job, I don't see what would stop you from living in Costa Rica! So when you are not working, the good weather gives a good reason to go outside all the time.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote: @OP
where is the weather map of coldfront?
The map is actually on the first post of the thread.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2624 posts
657 upvotes
Scarborough
Updated: 4/11/2014 By Reuters

NEW YORK — The chances have increased over the past month that the much-feared El Nino phenomenon, which has the potential to wreak havoc on global crops, would strike by summer in the Northern Hemisphere, the federal U.S. weather forecaster said Thursday.

In its monthly report, the Climate Prediction Center, an agency of the National Weather Service, pegged the likelihood at more than 50 percent.

In March, it said there was about a 50 percent chance of the weather pattern that causes floods and droughts across the world during the summer or autumn.

On Tuesday, Australia's Bureau of Meteorology pegged the chances of El Nino in 2014 at more than 70 percent.

El Nino - a warming of sea-surface temperatures in the Pacific - affects wind patterns and can trigger both floods and drought in different parts of the globe, curbing food supply.

OP, u betta no go Peru else u get sacrificed to the Mayan Gods...
Nov 22, 2012
661 posts
24 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Samwfive wrote: OP, u betta no go Peru else u get sacrificed to the Mayan Gods...
I lol'd

OP would Sat be good weather to go for a walk in the park?
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2070 posts
362 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
OP any truth to what they are saying? I know you were telling us over a week ago that models were showing this.
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/a ... eek/25022/

More snow threatens to hit parts of Ontario early next week

Friday, April 11, 2014, 9:04 AM -

We warned you of the risk earlier this week and as we inch closer, computer models are starting to become a bit clearer.

"A developing system in the Prairies will bring rain to southern Ontario on Sunday along with more rain on Monday," says Weather Network meteorologist Monica Vaswani. "But temperatures fall through the day Monday and the rain will likely change to snow late Monday and possibly continue on Tuesday morning."

According to Vaswani, new models have indicated that the chance of accumulating snow in the Greater Toronto Area has diminished as moisture may move out of the region earlier on Tuesday rather than later in the day.

"That being said, there is still the potential for accumulating snowfall in parts of northern Ontario such as the Nickelbelt region where temperatures will be much colder," Vaswani says. "There is still some model uncertainty so the details could change given this is still a few days out."

"Either way, a very sharp temperature gradient will exist on either side of the cold front on Monday, which will likely be slicing northern and southern Ontario in two (one side being rain, and one side being snow)," Vaswani adds. "Temperatures will fall for everyone in Ontario once that front completely slides through during the evening on Monday such that Tuesday daytime highs will only be a few degrees above freezing."

That's after temperatures peaked near 20°C in parts of southern Ontario on Thursday, marking the warmest day of the year so far.

According to Brian Dillon, another meteorologist at The Weather Network, the last time temperatures got that high was on October 16, when it reached 21°C.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1803 posts
122 upvotes
Southern ontario
it has been 6 months since i last used a T-shirt outside :(
JACKIE26 wrote: OP any truth to what they are saying? I know you were telling us over a week ago that models were showing this.
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/a ... eek/25022/

More snow threatens to hit parts of Ontario early next week

Friday, April 11, 2014, 9:04 AM -

We warned you of the risk earlier this week and as we inch closer, computer models are starting to become a bit clearer.

"A developing system in the Prairies will bring rain to southern Ontario on Sunday along with more rain on Monday," says Weather Network meteorologist Monica Vaswani. "But temperatures fall through the day Monday and the rain will likely change to snow late Monday and possibly continue on Tuesday morning."

According to Vaswani, new models have indicated that the chance of accumulating snow in the Greater Toronto Area has diminished as moisture may move out of the region earlier on Tuesday rather than later in the day.

"That being said, there is still the potential for accumulating snowfall in parts of northern Ontario such as the Nickelbelt region where temperatures will be much colder," Vaswani says. "There is still some model uncertainty so the details could change given this is still a few days out."

"Either way, a very sharp temperature gradient will exist on either side of the cold front on Monday, which will likely be slicing northern and southern Ontario in two (one side being rain, and one side being snow)," Vaswani adds. "Temperatures will fall for everyone in Ontario once that front completely slides through during the evening on Monday such that Tuesday daytime highs will only be a few degrees above freezing."

That's after temperatures peaked near 20°C in parts of southern Ontario on Thursday, marking the warmest day of the year so far.

According to Brian Dillon, another meteorologist at The Weather Network, the last time temperatures got that high was on October 16, when it reached 21°C.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
208 upvotes
x95zsk wrote: it has been 6 months since i last used a T-shirt outside :(
LOL. And you can wear this week only as next week it will be cold again.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Samwfive wrote: Updated: 4/11/2014 By Reuters

NEW YORK — The chances have increased over the past month that the much-feared El Nino phenomenon, which has the potential to wreak havoc on global crops, would strike by summer in the Northern Hemisphere, the federal U.S. weather forecaster said Thursday.

In its monthly report, the Climate Prediction Center, an agency of the National Weather Service, pegged the likelihood at more than 50 percent.

In March, it said there was about a 50 percent chance of the weather pattern that causes floods and droughts across the world during the summer or autumn.

On Tuesday, Australia's Bureau of Meteorology pegged the chances of El Nino in 2014 at more than 70 percent.

El Nino - a warming of sea-surface temperatures in the Pacific - affects wind patterns and can trigger both floods and drought in different parts of the globe, curbing food supply.

OP, u betta no go Peru else u get sacrificed to the Mayan Gods...
Lol it is actually the Inca's you have there. But I guess I will get sacrifice ot the Incan gods ;)
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
saugadealhunter wrote: I lol'd

OP would Sat be good weather to go for a walk in the park?
Saturday would be an excelente day for that. I see warmth and no rain coming near here until later in the evening.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
6597 posts
5475 upvotes
Toronto
Dude, if you're gonna make a joke, at least get the history facts straight... otherwise the joke won't work

Mayan, Aztecs = Mexico
Incan = Peru
Samwfive wrote: OP, u betta no go Peru else u get sacrificed to the Mayan Gods...
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
40024 posts
6016 upvotes
King City
Rain tonight in Markham OP? May want to go to the NCIX warehouse sale and line up early lol.
Proud to be an Indian.
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
djemzine wrote: Rain tonight in Markham OP? May want to go to the NCIX warehouse sale and line up early lol.
I see hardly a drop of rain tonight in the GFS. I see nothing until later Saturday night. So go nutz! cuz the rain is gonna hold off.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Starting to notice some nice chix in short shorts the last few days. Now this is what I call PROPER WEATHER. when you start seeing that again, you know the weather is back to being proper! Please stay warm!!!!!!!!

Stupid GFS says its gonna get cold again on us for next week :|

EDIT: GFS seems to show us holding in chilly weather for the remainder of my days here in Canada. Although thatmight not be a bad thing. I am considering spending time in cold Cuzco and could do with some adapting to chill so I can hold out well in the chilly weather they always have.
blahhh
Sep 11, 2011
194 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
Just a little over 2 weeks before you're on parole, OP! :razz: I see everyone is behaving and getting along swimmingly. :D

The weather has been glorious and I already got sunburned.