Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2019 2:06 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2014 6:35 pm
yup!! toronto > japan > manila!! :)
Yes. Although I'm sure Japan is quite chilly actually. Their ocean is still cold this time of year so they can't be warm like Pilipinas ;)

So you go from Toronto weather to a foreign country with MOAR Toronto weather to super hot and sticky!
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5499 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Apr 30th, 2014 6:39 pm
Yes. Although I'm sure Japan is quite chilly actually. Their ocean is still cold this time of year so they can't be warm like Pilipinas ;)

So you go from Toronto weather to a foreign country with MOAR Toronto weather to super hot and sticky!
yes sticky and exhausting, i constantly need to drink buko juice while traveling in manila. :lol:
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Esteban Pirazo wrote:
Apr 30th, 2014 6:14 am
FYI, it's Colombia, not Columbia,... Colombian, not Columbian .... and it's cerveza, not cervesa

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/20/world/ame ... -columbia/

unfortunately you were a victim of a tourist trap... which we can find anywhere in the world; just go to Al Mac's Buffet in Niagara Falls to see a good Canadian version of a tourist trap

back to topic: raining :( but at least this will help the trees bloom!!
It depends on the language. I use proper, non-American English, as is supposed to be used here in Canada, and in English the spelling is "Columbia", as seen also in the spelling of British Columbia and Columbus. Check BBC's sports coverage if you don't believe me.

If I was writing in Spanish I would use the Spanish spelling. If writing French I would use French spelling. Accepting foreign spellings is one of the reasons why the standard of spelling here in Canada and elsewhere is declining so quickly. I particularly hate the American mis-spellings that slipped into our newspapers decades ago when they started using US spell-checking software.

It's fine to use foreign language spellings when approriate and obvious - as I did with cervezas - but anywhere else I'd consider it a sign of illiteracy or ignorance. We need to stick with long-accepted standard spellings, or continue the decline.
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
39466 posts
5836 upvotes
King City
Pretty foggy here. OP what did you have for dinner lol?
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
djemzine wrote:
Apr 30th, 2014 8:08 pm
It's obvious: Lima beans! :lol:

I remember enjoying them as a kid, but haven't had them in ages. I'll have to get some.
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1487 posts
372 upvotes
Toronto
Tornado F2 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2014 7:32 pm
It depends on the language. I use proper, non-American English, as is supposed to be used here in Canada, and in English the spelling is "Columbia", as seen also in the spelling of British Columbia and Columbus. Check BBC's sports coverage if you don't believe me.

If I was writing in Spanish I would use the Spanish spelling. If writing French I would use French spelling. Accepting foreign spellings is one of the reasons why the standard of spelling here in Canada and elsewhere is declining so quickly. I particularly hate the American mis-spellings that slipped into our newspapers decades ago when they started using US spell-checking software.

It's fine to use foreign language spellings when approriate and obvious - as I did with cervezas - but anywhere else I'd consider it a sign of illiteracy or ignorance. We need to stick with long-accepted standard spellings, or continue the decline.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/search/?q=colombia :confused:
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Oxford English Dictionary seems to require registration, so let's try Cambridge Dictionaries Online.

British English: "We do not have an entry for Columbia."

American English: "We do not have an entry for Colombia."

:facepalm:

Total fail Cambridge! :lol:

And yes, it is the university:

"Cambridge University Press has been publishing dictionaries for learners of English since 1995. Cambridge Dictionaries Online has been offering these dictionaries completely free of charge since 1999."
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
djemzine wrote:
Apr 30th, 2014 8:08 pm
I had some weird thing made with corn and chicken. I eat 2 meals a day :) I never eat 3 meals a day, not even in Canada.

And as for local conditions, it continues to be pleasantly cool and dry. It really is perfét here!
Tornado F2 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2014 9:08 pm
It's obvious: Lima beans! :lol:

I remember enjoying them as a kid, but haven't had them in ages. I'll have to get some.
Lol that would have been a good match and I think I even saw them on the shelf at Metro store, but didn't want them :)
blahhh
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1487 posts
372 upvotes
Toronto
Tornado F2 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2014 9:40 pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/search/sport/?q=Columbia

Maybe it's like tomato/tomato - both work. Or maybe the BBC are just accommodating their international audience?
But there are a LOT more entries on the BBC website with ColOmbia than ColUmbia.

Look at the country profile: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-19390026

I am 100% sure the correct spelling is ColOmbia
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2218 posts
642 upvotes
Columbia is the correct spelling in English. Colombia is the correct spelling in Spanish
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
I used a tequnique to determine which spelling was used more often in English. By typing bogota capital in the google search, when the country comes up, they spell it using the o instead of any u. So I am guessing that with O is the most common spelling in English. I don't know why we have british Columbia and Colombia spelt differently, but that variation seems to exist. Maybe English stole and adopted the spanish spelling and ditched the actualy English spelling.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Wow this is new to me, a fog advisory!

Alerts for: City of Toronto
Statements

4:45 AM EDT Thursday 01 May 2014
Fog Advisory in effect for:

City of Toronto
Fog conditions - overnight to morning.

Near zero visibility in fog is expected to dissipate later this morning.

Visibility may be significantly and suddenly reduced to near zero. Travel is expected to be hazardous due to reduced visibility.

Weather Advisories for fog are issued when near zero visibilities in fog are expected or occurring.

Environment Canada meteorologists will update alerts as required, so stay tuned to your local media or Weatheradio. Email reports of severe weather to storm.ontario@ec.gc.ca or tweet with the hashtag #ONStorm.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2532 posts
615 upvotes
Scarborough
Vely foggy near the lake....upper Beach (lmao, any location north of Kingston Rd is).

OP, how's the cavity search? Had any local brewsky yet?
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Zephyr22b wrote:
May 1st, 2014 8:36 am
Columbia is the correct spelling in English. Colombia is the correct spelling in Spanish
Exactly.