Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2019 2:06 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20273 posts
4238 upvotes
Poormond Hill
saugadealhunter wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2014 11:49 am
You didn't move to Yellowknife yet?
I would if I can get a $100K job.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
^ you can seriously do Montreal or even move to Whistler. It is scenic and cold ;) I bet even whistler got a nice high paying job for you.

I hope this thing can release whatever waste product it needs to, now before I go out because I am sick of seeing these dark clouds dampen my plans. I need to go to the market to buy tomotos and bok choy and this market got no roof :|

[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5j9_slz0xSg/U ... G_2361.JPG[/IMG]
blahhh
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20273 posts
4238 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2014 7:44 pm
Not yet, but if the current trend continues with no change in the bias for cold in the east and Arctic shots, then just expect another super early arrival of snow. At the rate we are going you will get another wintery November. November is supposed to be a purely fall month, but we were getting it as totally winter last year. I wonder if we can get the same again this year if the polar vortex can hold on!

btw, I am delaying my breakfast in Manila, just to provide weather updates to you guys in T-Dot. hope your happy! :razz:
What I noticed lately is that when I leave for work at 5:30 a.m., it's not as bright as it was a few weeks ago. Now I have to turn on my lights when I drive at that time in the morning. I guess this is a good sign for winter.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20273 posts
4238 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2014 8:44 pm
I hope this thing can release whatever waste product it needs to, now before I go out because I am sick of seeing these dark clouds dampen my plans. I need to go to the market to buy tomotos and bok choy and this market got no roof :|

[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5j9_slz0xSg/U ... G_2361.JPG[/IMG]
Rain is good. With cold weather it turns to snow.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
sandikosh wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2014 8:46 pm
Rain is good. With cold weather it turns to snow.
Yes it is great. I have been wondering, why is it that lately I have been sleeping well and feeling chilly at night instead of having sweating sleepless nights. Turns out it is because since the rain has started, it temps cool faster at night here. So I want the rain to continue at night and I will never have to deal with a hot night again. No need to use the AC ;)

But weather has been the culprit for many disturbances in my daily life here. I could not visit a girl yesterday cuz she said the rain was too much. My cloths won't dry because the roof of the laundry room got blown off by the typhoon.

She said she would fix it in a couple days. Did she do anything? No! They should put on a temporary roof and hurry to find a sturdy one since this is the Philippines and it is of no use to use crappy materials to build structures because we get wild weather that can and will destroy them.
blahhh
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20273 posts
4238 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2014 8:52 pm
Yes it is great. I have been wondering, why is it that lately I have been sleeping well and feeling chilly at night instead of having sweating sleepless nights. Turns out it is because since the rain has started, it temps cool faster at night here. So I want the rain to continue at night and I will never have to deal with a hot night again. No need to use the AC ;)

But weather has been the culprit for many disturbances in my daily life here. I could not visit a girl yesterday cuz she said the rain was too much. My cloths won't dry because the roof of the laundry room got blown off by the typhoon.
With all that rain, skinny dipping would be a good idea. Ask your girl if she's up for it.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
sandikosh wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2014 8:58 pm
With all that rain, skinny dipping would be a good idea. Ask your girl if she's up for it.
I should set up a skinny dipping date with her at the LRT station. After these rainstorms, there is enough pooling of water near the LRT station to go ahead with the skinny dipping. It is too hot here to go on a normal date anyways :|

I just thought I better go to the market now before the rain comes back. Here, Any time spent inside during dry weather is considered a waste of timee cuz the rain will surely come when you finally decide to get your butt out the door!
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5502 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto
sandikosh wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2014 8:44 pm
What I noticed lately is that when I leave for work at 5:30 a.m., it's not as bright as it was a few weeks ago. Now I have to turn on my lights when I drive at that time in the morning. I guess this is a good sign for winter.
nights are cold now, i was outside like 12:30am today, it was damn chilly!! is it september already? :facepalm:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2014 1:43 am
nights are cold now, i was outside like 12:30am today, it was damn chilly!! is it september already? :facepalm:
[IMG]http://www.greendayvideos.com/videos/wa ... meup01.jpg[/IMG]

So I can go right to the fresh autumn weather and leave all the heat behind.

But I'm not in Toronto to play around with seasons anyways so scratch that thought :|

but yes, the upcoming forecast best matches that of the second week of September, NOT late July, considered as the absolute hottest part of the year on average. This will go down as one of the er few Julys that barely squeezed out a 30 degree temp. Just one afternoon the temp breifly struck 30 degrees only during one observation before getting right back to mid 20s later that afternoon. So apart from that moment of glory, this has been a July devoid of 30 degree temps typically seen all the time in this month.

But hey, I just remembered, we are in a historic solar maximum that is historic because of how 'dead' it is in terms of solar activity. Hmmmm I wonder if this has anything to do with what's happening.

PLEASE NO MOAR ICE AGE!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:
blahhh
Banned
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
813 upvotes
Calgary
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Jul 20th, 2014 11:00 pm
Get your butt back on the plane and come back here then. cuz there is never a day without 30 plus. I will pick you up at terminal 3 and watch you get tired of the heat fast and run to take refuge in the Mall of Asia skating rink!

Or wait till next year and maybe you will get your heat back. Heat in Canada never gets tiring because it never lasts long enough. We were getting several years in T-Dot where heat was abundant. I think the after effects of el nino could make it happen again.

I remember when I posted nostalgia of summer back in January. Wow now it is already middle of summer. You are right! where did the year go. It seems like we just had Christmas and by end of next month Canadian Tire already begins to prepare the Christmas section again :) Give it less than 2 months and Lowes already has all its Christmas stuff out! Frosty must hate sweating in the sweltering September heat.
I just cant believe its already August. Summer is definitely the shortest season of the year, next thing you know kids are back in school, winter is back, halloween is here then christmas. You are right, it felt like xmas 2013 was just last week.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Mayosandwich wrote:
Jul 25th, 2014 8:50 pm
I just cant believe its already August. Summer is definitely the shortest season of the year, next thing you know kids are back in school, winter is back, halloween is here then christmas. You are right, it felt like xmas 2013 was just last week.
Jeez! it's true. I wonder why for all of us it feels that way this year. I think the polar vortex has sped up time lol

I think they should cancel Staples "It's the most wonderful time of the year" because it catapults us towards "Marshmallows for toasting And caroling out in the snow There'll be scary ghost stories And tales of the glories Of Christmases long, long ago" ........ and there goes another year :|
blahhh
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20273 posts
4238 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Mayosandwich wrote:
Jul 25th, 2014 8:50 pm
No more Thanksgiving?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Oh boy! :| keeps on getting worse :|
sandikosh must be luvin this ;)

[IMG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xf4vVCLS8dQ/U ... 600/to.jpg[/IMG]
Not only is this lots of chill, but almost every day is rain too. So not very nice.

I checked the GFS and it looks like this continues well into August. So better used to it feeling like September cuz it aint gonna get any better for a while and the dog days of summer will rapidly be comin to a close by the time we may ever get out of this pattern.

I mean you guys :)

EDIT:
CFS backs all of this up too. Now it has a firm stance on the idea of it being cold with a solid period of colder weather indicated on the maps through the end of the long range model period.

Green is cool
[IMG]http://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product ... NAsfcT.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]http://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product ... NAsfcT.gif[/IMG]

And you can notice how the cooler stuff holds right over the region.

Great lakes temps must bee at record lows. After that winter with all the ice and super freezing, you get a summer that is so cool and this does not help a bit in warming up those lakes that are already so cold from that record winter.
blahhh