Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2019 2:06 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2014 6:34 pm
Something epic will happen, less snowstorms this year.
This polar vortex continues a new weather tradition for the jet stream to go crazy and weird things to happen (Like having a polar vortex, and ice storm and historical floods all come up, and an usually small amount of time passage from finishing one historic event to starting another). I am sure something truly epic will happen. If it is not this winter, it will be some event in the summer. I hope my old house on Jones ave gets sucked up by a tornado :) I did not like that place :|

If the rate of amazing weather events occurances stays the same as the last 2 years, then we would get 2 historic weather events between now and Caribana and even if the frequency of such events is down 50 percent, something epic would still happen in Toronto by spring!

not sure if climate change really caused the sudden surge in events. After 4 years, we will know if having 2 to 3 epic weather events a year really becomes the new norm. Maybe it does not. If it does I will set up my own weather recording studio! :razz: "what epic event is on the way this year for T-Dot! Let's find out!"
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5503 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Nov 14th, 2014 6:41 pm
Hmmmm. Every model seems to be showing a warming trend starting around Nov 22. NOAA is showing seasonal temps while the long range models show above normal. GFS shows a return to above freezing conditions with a lack of snow then as well. Whether it will be above normal or seasonal, looks like by then we can expect a major shift away from the current cold wintery setup.
Someone has a smile on his face. ;) ;) ;)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2014 7:09 pm
Someone has a smile on his face. ;) ;) ;)
YA YOU! lol

A lot of active weather seekers in this thread are hoping the GFS is wrong ;) ;) ;)
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
I just checked the GFS and I see lots of days of snow. Me claiming November this year would especially feature snow, was a VERY good prediction! Tomorrow and the rest of the week will be rather snowy and snow will be accumulating. Road conditions could be affected by this too.

I see a break in the pattern with rain coming in to start next week. So after a snowy week, watch for a break next week. The gFS seems to show us going back into the cold right away again though.
blahhh
Sep 11, 2014
640 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Snow all week will be awesome. Every winter ice/frost builds up on my car windows and it is a pain to scrape it out every morning. For some odd reason when it snows overnight, there is no ice/frost on the windows. Weatherman, can you please make it snow overnights?
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
12120 posts
1807 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
^
Keep your car in the garage overnight. No fear of frost or ice. Frost/ice occurs becuz of varying temperatures. It doesnt have to be extremely cold to create snow. Once snow hits your car it melts becuz ur car isnt as cold as the snow or colder. If the temperature swing is small you get no frost/ice come morning. But if temperature swings are greater to freezing levels as expected during winter wind chill mornings, then yea... that dampness freezes causing frost/ice on the car.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4100 posts
911 upvotes
Sask.
Almost balmy this morning at -7, winchill -16.
Much better than the -29 of the other day.

Hoping for more snow - we have some, but not enough to make it fun.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
567 upvotes
Toronto
Finally getting around to putting on winter wheels today. Wanted to do so 2 weeks ago but never got around to it. Bring on the snow!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5503 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto
This is really a tragic moment for Toronto.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
12120 posts
1807 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
^Waaay colder than last year. It wasnt till mid-december that it got cold in '13. Now it's a month earlier. Notice Enbridge gas kept their rates high. They knew this winter will be colder so gouges us even more, WTF..
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11589 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
SoulGal wrote:
Nov 16th, 2014 5:48 am
Snow all week will be awesome. Every winter ice/frost builds up on my car windows and it is a pain to scrape it out every morning. For some odd reason when it snows overnight, there is no ice/frost on the windows. Weatherman, can you please make it snow overnights?
Actually there is an interesting reason why no hard to remove ice buildup appears when there is snow. When frost accumulates, it is fine and can adhere to the surface as it gradually accumulates and covers the surface so it becomes a dense layer. Snow on the other hand is obviously non sticky. they are large and too air-filled to adhere to the surface so they wipe right off.

Same reason why a bit of snow before freezing rain might help undo the freezing rain's ability to adhere to the road and cause slippery conditions.

So yes, I will try to make it snow all the time for you! I already made some wishes come true this year ;)
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5503 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto
Snow was thick in scarborough than downtown.
Sep 11, 2014
640 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto, ON
aznnorth wrote:
Nov 16th, 2014 6:52 am
^
Keep your car in the garage overnight. No fear of frost or ice. Frost/ice occurs becuz of varying temperatures. It doesnt have to be extremely cold to create snow. Once snow hits your car it melts becuz ur car isnt as cold as the snow or colder. If the temperature swing is small you get no frost/ice come morning. But if temperature swings are greater to freezing levels as expected during winter wind chill mornings, then yea... that dampness freezes causing frost/ice on the car.

Car cannot be parked in the garage as it is filled with other vars.
Sep 11, 2014
640 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Nov 16th, 2014 4:19 pm
Actually there is an interesting reason why no hard to remove ice buildup appears when there is snow. When frost accumulates, it is fine and can adhere to the surface as it gradually accumulates and covers the surface so it becomes a dense layer. Snow on the other hand is obviously non sticky. they are large and too air-filled to adhere to the surface so they wipe right off.

Same reason why a bit of snow before freezing rain might help undo the freezing rain's ability to adhere to the road and cause slippery conditions.

So yes, I will try to make it snow all the time for you! I already made some wishes come true this year ;)
Thank you.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)