Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2020 6:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
It's obvious it is all about adaptation. If you live in Arctic weather conditions on a regular basis, you will be used to it. I remember the year before the polar vortex I had my nose get freezer burnt at -13 daytime high. Last winter, exposure to temps even a bit colder gave me no such effect.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3269 posts
912 upvotes
Edmonton
test9251 wrote: ^
Coz we aint got canada goose undies.
I don't exactly know the brand name Canada Goose. I hear of alot of stuff about its coats but I don't think I have ever seen one. My coveralls are warm though :)
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Nov 29, 2008
678 posts
71 upvotes
Markham
tmkf_patryk wrote: I don't exactly know the brand name Canada Goose. I hear of alot of stuff about its coats but I don't think I have ever seen one. My coveralls are warm though :)
They are quite common seen with transit commuters and downtown folks.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2005
2266 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ottoyu34 wrote: They are quite common seen with transit commuters and downtown folks.
And 95% of the Asian's in Markham :lol:
Heatware (6-0-0)

FS:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Ooooooooh :cry: I really need to return to Toronto urgently. But I am concerned about the effects the climate shift will have on me. I am not sure what to do. I am just a young Canadian that gave up everything in Canada to be in Philippines. But now I have no Canada goose, no winter cloths and don't have a place of rent ready to go in Toronto yet cuz I don't live in Canada right now and I don;t know how to secure a rental agreement in Toronto when I am still living in the Philippines. I will be renting a room as soon as I can find one in Toronto, but don't know how long it will take to find one in the part of Toronto I need it in. Anyone know what I should do for a smooth transition into Canada in the winter? coping with the change from being adapted to the heat to coming back in the middle of a winter deep freeze is hard, but even harder with my uncertainty of finding a room for rent fast enough during this terrible winter cold. Does city of Toronto provide any assistance to people moving from oother countries with getting a smoother and easier transition to Canada during winter weather?
I don't have any family in Canada to receive me when I get there so I don't know how hard it will be to actually transition from living in the Philippines to living in Canada, particularly Toronto during the winter.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1850 posts
436 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Ooooooooh :cry: I really need to return to Toronto urgently. But I am concerned about the effects the climate shift will have on me. I am not sure what to do. I am just a young Canadian that gave up everything in Canada to be in Philippines. But now I have no Canada goose, no winter cloths and don't have a place of rent ready to go in Toronto yet cuz I don't live in Canada right now and I don;t know how to secure a rental agreement in Toronto when I am still living in the Philippines. I will be renting a room as soon as I can find one in Toronto, but don't know how long it will take to find one in the part of Toronto I need it in. Anyone know what I should do for a smooth transition into Canada in the winter? coping with the change from being adapted to the heat to coming back in the middle of a winter deep freeze is hard, but even harder with my uncertainty of finding a room for rent fast enough during this terrible winter cold. Does city of Toronto provide any assistance to people moving from oother countries with getting a smoother and easier transition to Canada during winter weather?
I don't have any family in Canada to receive me when I get there so I don't know how hard it will be to actually transition from living in the Philippines to living in Canada, particularly Toronto during the winter.
Yeah, it's call a homeless shelter. :lol:

F, didn't you come back in Nov last year then departed to pino land again? Do what u did then, which was? Why are you even coming back now, did some gang member threaten your life again and made u run tail.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
astrotrain wrote: Yeah, it's call a homeless shelter. :lol:

F, didn't you come back in Nov last year then departed to pino land again? Do what u did then, which was? Why are you even coming back now, did some gang member threaten your life again and made u run tail.
I went to a couch surfing place. I found someone on couchsurfing. That could be an option again, but it is not as easy to use couch surfing and find a willing host to transition to living in Canada in the winter as it is to transitioning to living in any city in the Philippines.

I am going to try to arrive in Canada a few days before the start of Feb so I spend little time in transition. I plan to find a room for rent for the start of Feb so the less time I have to spend in transition and searching for rent to moving on Feb first, the better.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1850 posts
436 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: I went to a couch surfing place. I found someone on couchsurfing. That could be an option again, but it is not as easy to use couch surfing and find a willing host to transition to living in Canada in the winter as it is to transitioning to living in any city in the Philippines.

I am going to try to arrive in Canada a few days before the start of Feb so I spend little time in transition. I plan to find a room for rent for the start of Feb so the less time I have to spend in transition and searching for rent to moving on Feb first, the better.
Did you try https://www.airbnb.ca/

Isn't there a member here Psycho44 that has several houses in Canada, you can ask him if you can live in his garage? lol

Why are you coming back now? Is it the visa run issues. I would be mostly likely running into such situations when I do the move over particular if I relocate to Thailand, PRC or Viet. Luckily I do have relatives and family in the latter that may help in smoother transition for visa issues. Damn I wish my family members in the PRC were not so distant for further assistance.

Having proper docs when living abroad is such a pain the arse. Working a proper job and starting a new company is a major ordeal in it of itself but having to deal with Visa/resident issues are another headache on top of that.

Good luck bro.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
astrotrain wrote: Did you try https://www.airbnb.ca/

Isn't there a member here Psycho44 that has several houses in Canada, you can ask him if you can live in his garage? lol

Why are you coming back now? Is it the visa run issues. I would be mostly likely running into such situations when I do the move over particular if I relocate to Thailand, PRC or Viet. Luckily I do have relatives and family in the latter that may help in smoother transition for visa issues. Damn I wish my family members in the PRC were not so distant for further assistance.

Having proper docs when living abroad is such a pain the arse. Working a proper job and starting a new company is a major ordeal in it of itself but having to deal with Visa/resident issues are another headache on top of that.

Good luck bro.
Thanks. It is not about visa issues. It is more about health and safety and well being. I heard that the bus bombing happened shortly after i was in the same part of the Philippines. Also, apart from the harsh transition to winter, overall I feel living in Canada will be better and more comfortable again weather wise. I am always hot here. In Canada you are only hot or cold, depending on season in the short time you spend between leaving a house and boarding a vehicle and going to a store etc. Also air pollution is an issue here. So I just decided I should be back in Toronto and embrace the filipino culture from there instead since filipino percentage of the population is constantly going up anyways do to new immigration trends.

EDIT: Any filipinos know if I can buy a winter jacket in Manila? There must be some for those immigrating to or visiting cold countries. I need one to eb able to survive. When I get out of the airport into Canada there is no way I can survive the exposure while outside without being prepared.
blahhh
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
12513 posts
2025 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: EDIT: Any filipinos know if I can buy a winter jacket in Manila? There must be some for those immigrating to or visiting cold countries. I need one to eb able to survive. When I get out of the airport into Canada there is no way I can survive the exposure while outside without being prepared.
This is where those super warm packable 800-850 fill mountaineer down parkas come in handy... arent there mountaineering cold weather shops in Manila?? You should of thot of this when leaving. You coulda packed one up going there and come back with it. Most pack up in a foot long pillow/headrest.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2077 posts
373 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
OP why don't you just order a coat online and have it shipped to you, you have enough time if you are not coming back until February. I think this would be your best option.
Sep 24, 2012
64 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
OP, study better long term plots and find when there will be summer like temperatures in January. 1-2 days will be enough to get a coat and a pair of shoes.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
355 upvotes
OP, can you check tomorrow's weather for Waterloo region? accuweather is saying 12-20 cm snow but theweathernetwork says nothing. Thanks.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4301 upvotes
aznnorth wrote: Accuweather says -26C windchill. So all those cheapie RFD'ers who didnt wanna get one of the following... so how you doin??? lolz.

-CG TEI 5 models
-Eddie Bauer peak XV
-Rab Bitura
-MH absolute zero
-arcteryx (plus 50 different layers, lol)
-feathered friends 800-850 down (any parka)
-OSC expedition model
My Marmot 8000m suit is ready for tomorrow

[IMG]http://blog.wuokko.org/wp-content/uploa ... ll_fit.jpg[/IMG]