Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2020 12:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
This thread is dominated by winter people ;)

I m obsessed with Christmas so I think I qualify as a winter person

But I love the snow and hate the cold hmmmm......

I keep forgetting that el nino is supposed to cause warm winters an we might be getting the worst in history. sandikosh is gonna hate this!
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8808 posts
1099 upvotes
Sweet. No more wind chill winter and similar to 2010 to 2011 winter was nice.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5867 posts
846 upvotes
Scarborough
hope this coming months of november-february are really WARM, without windchill and without snow.
here's hoping
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
You people are not likely to get disaapointed by el nino. It is the single most certain factor in determining how a winter will be because its warming factor is so strong. you can have a la nina and end up with a snow winter, a bitter winter OR a warm winter, but this el nino can only make warm winters.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4117 posts
919 upvotes
Sask.
What a change a week makes - it's like 10 degrees here, cold and drizzly. I miss the sun.

However, we are supposed to be back in the 30s by late next week.

Not happy with an El Nino winter coming - the last one we had here was when our son was six, and Christmas Eve he went out biking with his dad -no snow then. We need the snow for moisture here on the prairies!
Banned
Feb 22, 2014
294 posts
9 upvotes
CALGARY
4 degrees Celcius and snow in some parts of Calgary yesterday. Thursday last week it hit 34 degrees. :razz:
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30292 posts
1414 upvotes
Fernando Po
Global warming = crapola. I'm predicting a cool fall and cold and snowy winter.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
you are forgetting to factor in el nino.

Honestly I would have predicted the same as you, but el nino is lliterally an automatic game changer. And with it being possibly the strongest (though I myself can't see it being all time record yet on my data) it it will have more warming power than the ones in the past. Ell nino alsway causes the jet stream to go way to the north. Not having a warmer winter in an el nino is like having a high school classroom with no blackboard and no desks.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5867 posts
846 upvotes
Scarborough
we need this el nino EVERY YEAR during the months of November to March :D
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
I can officially schedule el nino to commence every year on November 1 and the contract with el nino ends April 30 and that will fix the problem of our crappy winters.

I'll get on that.....
blahhh
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1571 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
A warm winter doesnt bode well for this thread. Its only very active when there is extreme weather... although I think I'd sacrifice this thread for a less brutal winter... actually I take that back. I dont mind brutal weather as long as its short. The past 2 years where winter has started as early as October and ended at the end of April are too much. I'd take a good Vancouver winter which essentially lasts from December to February.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
9258 posts
4353 upvotes
lol @ people wanting a warm winter. We live in Canada...I hope it's cold and snowy
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
gqbluez wrote: A warm winter doesnt bode well for this thread. Its only very active when there is extreme weather... although I think I'd sacrifice this thread for a less brutal winter... actually I take that back. I dont mind brutal weather as long as its short. The past 2 years where winter has started as early as October and ended at the end of April are too much. I'd take a good Vancouver winter which essentially lasts from December to February.
Lol yes this thread is dead in the sumer but for obvious reasons too. Who talks about the weather every day in Mexico? Noone! So when we get our 3 months of weather more or less like there, then weather talk is dead for sure. I miss the ice storm days. even when that was done, this thread advanced at about 100 pages a day almost! This thread will have an interesting future though because climate change seems to have been bringing unusual weather evens the last few years so more excitement is on the way!

Looking forward to the days of polar vortex where people pour into here complaining something terrible happened cuz of the weather. Like a water main breaking and converting the whole neighborhood into a skating rink.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7125 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
Milder winter would save us 300 bucks+ in gas bills over the winter vs last winter, I'll take it. It was interesting having almost no thaw happening for months though.